jefe6801
jefe6801
  • Threads: 1
July 12th, 2014 at 4:48:22 PM permalink
I'm playing Pai Gow. Table stakes are usually $15 min and $500 max. I'm not playing any bonus prop bets. I bet $15, if I win, great I keep betting $15. If I push any hand, the bet always stays the same as it was no matter what. If I lose the bet, then I double it, so next hand is $30 and so on and so on. Basically, hand to hand doesn't mean much, what I am essentially doing is sitting down with $1000 and my big picture bet is I'm betting $1000 that I won't lose 6 hands in a row (pushes not mattering) before I win one. I was having very good success with this, up about $1000 after about 10 hours of play, then I busted today and lost around $900 ( I was up about $100 when it happened.) Basically as long as I don't lose 6 hands straight, I can't lose, until you do that is.

My question is, what are the mathematical odds on my strategy? on average, how many hands played should I expect per bust and is this a viable strategy?

thanks in advance
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 12th, 2014 at 6:31:31 PM permalink
Viable? It's not bad. You're not doing anything to alter the house edge per dollar wagered, but you're increasing the average amount wagered per hand (at least, compared to just flat-betting $15/hand). That method is called the Martingale. There's a lot of literature available both on this site and on the internet in general.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
  • Jump to: