Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 14th, 2014 at 11:21:25 AM permalink
" hat the best way to play craps is pass-odds, place 6 and 8, and continuous come-odds bets. "

That's the second best way. The best way is to ignore the craps table like 99+% of gamblers do.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 14th, 2014 at 11:44:17 AM permalink
Quote: dwm

Way back when, I remember reading that according to the computer factoring in all bets on the do side, that the best way to play craps is pass-odds, place 6 and 8, and continuous come-odds bets.
As personally do not like come-odds betting, I simply replace the come betting aspect with placing the number just rolled. So pass-odds, place 6 and 8 after point is established, then place bet each outside number after each is rolled. It does well on half way decent tables, on cold tables nothing on the do side works.

This is fine, but your expected losses are much higher, I think.

Of course you will win if the table is "hot" and lose if the table is "cold", but the question is, how much?

Placing the 5 and 9 is extremely expensive -- 4% house edge. It's a sucker bet, pure and simple. You are getting close to roulette territory.
Placing the 6 and 8 is 1.52%, which is relatively low, but still worse than pass / come
Placing the 4 and 10 is a 6.66% house edge, which is actually worse then roulette. You are now approaching slot machine territory. You can often get a good deal buying it (especially if the house will charge 4% on wins only for $25 or $50 bets -- that is a 1.33% house edge; better than the come bet)

I'm also not sure what you mean by the "best" way to play. How is this being measured? If you want lots of action and low house edge, the recommended way seems reasonable to me.

By replacing your come bets with placing the outside numbers, you are increasing your long-term losses by a factor of 3x to 5x on those bets.

If you must bet on individual numbers, I'd suggest placing the 6 and 8, buying the 4 and 10 in $25 increments, and avoiding the 5 and 9 altogether. Odd numbers are unlucky, after all (as in, it's pretty unlucky that the house makes them sucker bets)
mds
mds
  • Threads: 50
January 16th, 2014 at 6:32:36 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

This is fine, but your expected losses are much higher, I think.

Of course you will win if the table is "hot" and lose if the table is "cold", but the question is, how much?

Placing the 5 and 9 is extremely expensive -- 4% house edge. It's a sucker bet, pure and simple. You are getting close to roulette territory.
Placing the 6 and 8 is 1.52%, which is relatively low, but still worse than pass / come
Placing the 4 and 10 is a 6.66% house edge, which is actually worse then roulette. You are now approaching slot machine territory. You can often get a good deal buying it (especially if the house will charge 4% on wins only for $25 or $50 bets -- that is a 1.33% house edge; better than the come bet)

I'm also not sure what you mean by the "best" way to play. How is this being measured? If you want lots of action and low house edge, the recommended way seems reasonable to me.

By replacing your come bets with placing the outside numbers, you are increasing your long-term losses by a factor of 3x to 5x on those bets.

If you must bet on individual numbers, I'd suggest placing the 6 and 8, buying the 4 and 10 in $25 increments, and avoiding the 5 and 9 altogether. Odd numbers are unlucky, after all (as in, it's pretty unlucky that the house makes them sucker bets)

I understand buying the 4 and 10 brings you to a HE 0f 1.33%. But only due to paying the vig. There are still only 2 ways for them to come up.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 16th, 2014 at 11:24:33 AM permalink
Quote: mds

I understand buying the 4 and 10 brings you to a HE 0f 1.33%. But only due to paying the vig. There are still only 2 ways for them to come up.

Many places charge $1 commission on wins only on $25 buy bets on 4 and 10, and $2 on $50 bets. That is a 1.33% house edge.

But larger bets revert to the 5% commission, so you will pay $5 on a winning $100 bet. That is a 1.66% commission.

(since you only pay the commission on wins, which happen 1 time in 3, the house edge can be determined by dividing the commission by 3. $1 on $25 is 4%, and 4/3 = 1.333... 5%/3 = 1.666...%)

And, yes, the house edge is completely due to the vig. All buy bets work like that. They pay fair odds, minus the commission.
  • Jump to: