Actuarial
Actuarial
Joined: Apr 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 90
January 25th, 2015 at 1:30:24 PM permalink
I figured I'd kick off this sub-forum with some questions pertaining to my upcoming trip to Reno. This will be my first time going to Reno; a trip which I suspect may become an annual one. This will be my first ACC Cribbage tournament, hosted by the Sands Regency, which is also where I will be staying. While the Sands certainly has a great room rate for this tournament, I'm planning on doing most of my side-gaming at the nearby Silver Legacy and Eldorado.

1. Where can I find the best cocktail service for pai gow poker/ video poker?
2. Where can I find a full-fledged Baccarat game, and what is the typical min bet?
3. Which players club seems to give the best comps (possibly for hotel rooms for future trips)?
4. How frequently do non-holdem games run at Eldorado? How is the talent?
5. How likely is it I will get shot walking from The Sands to Eldorado at 3am?
6. Generally, where do you like to play, and why?
7. What else should I consider before my trip?

Thanks - I'll try and follow up with a trip report afterwards.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 2169
January 25th, 2015 at 3:50:47 PM permalink
1. I findcustomers service in general to be pretty good in Reno (5). I wouldn't dream of walking to the Sands after dark. The short stretch from Cal Neva to Siena is about my risk tolerance.
offTopic
offTopic
Joined: Dec 6, 2013
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 44
January 25th, 2015 at 4:06:57 PM permalink
Quote: Actuarial

I figured I'd kick off this sub-forum with some questions pertaining to my upcoming trip to Reno. This will be my first time going to Reno; a trip which I suspect may become an annual one. This will be my first ACC Cribbage tournament, hosted by the Sands Regency, which is also where I will be staying. While the Sands certainly has a great room rate for this tournament, I'm planning on doing most of my side-gaming at the nearby Silver Legacy and Eldorado.

1. Where can I find the best cocktail service for pai gow poker/ video poker?
2. Where can I find a full-fledged Baccarat game, and what is the typical min bet?
3. Which players club seems to give the best comps (possibly for hotel rooms for future trips)?
4. How frequently do non-holdem games run at Eldorado? How is the talent?
5. How likely is it I will get shot walking from The Sands to Eldorado at 3am?
6. Generally, where do you like to play, and why?
7. What else should I consider before my trip?

Thanks - I'll try and follow up with a trip report afterwards.



Heavily dependent on how busy it is, but for 1 and 6, the PGP at Silver Legacy is pretty good. If the progressive jackpot is high (and you are into chasing such things) you can play for as little as $7 ($5 min bet, and they require that you make at least a $1 bet on Fortune in order to play the $1 Progressive). I typically play at Eldorado and Silver Legacy as they generally have the most going on.

Re 4, an occasional 1-5 Stud game may break out, but that's it, you won't find a mixed game or Omaha (unless things have really changed recently). There's a better chance for non-HE at Peppermill (which is also the nicest poker room in Reno) but it's away from your base location. If you are interested in Peppermill, they are on the Bravo Poker app, so you can see what games are running without having to go down there.
Actuarial
Actuarial
Joined: Apr 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 90
January 25th, 2015 at 4:32:15 PM permalink
Thanks - I will actually be at the Peppermill on Sunday night.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 154
  • Posts: 5701
January 25th, 2015 at 8:06:38 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

1. I findcustomers service in general to be pretty good in Reno (5). I wouldn't dream of walking to the Sands after dark. The short stretch from Cal Neva to Siena is about my risk tolerance.



And that can be a risk after dark. Maybe shady homeless by the river and in the park. Just not worth it if you are carrying money and look middle class. Be aware.
NokTang
NokTang
Joined: Aug 15, 2011
  • Threads: 56
  • Posts: 1314
January 26th, 2015 at 3:49:46 AM permalink
Spent one Christmas - New Years in Reno. I'll state the obvious...it's very cold. Don't get the idea you can sneak around and avoid the cold weather. I mean real cold this time of year. Not sure what the homeless do in this type of weather.
Actuarial
Actuarial
Joined: Apr 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 90
January 26th, 2015 at 4:50:16 AM permalink
You know, I've been really surprised at the temperatures there lately. Given, I'm from the midwest, but on Monday it's supposed to be in the 60s!
jpmurff
jpmurff
Joined: Mar 10, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 1
March 10th, 2015 at 11:22:36 PM permalink
3. Which players club seems to give the best comps (possibly for hotel rooms for future trips)?

Even a small to moderate amount of .25 video poker during a 2 day trip gets me free or very discounted room offers at Harrah's for five or six months after my stay. I don't know about the other places.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 141
  • Posts: 18017
March 10th, 2015 at 11:24:06 PM permalink
If anyone has any good information about RENO I would like to talk to you.

I know there's some good stuff and eventually Ill get some time to get there. I need some modivation.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
offTopic
offTopic
Joined: Dec 6, 2013
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 44
March 18th, 2015 at 4:18:06 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

If anyone has any good information about RENO I would like to talk to you.

I know there's some good stuff and eventually Ill get some time to get there. I need some modivation.



If you are in to such things, Labor Day weekend is a good time to go as the Best in the West rib cookoff is going on at the Nugget in Sparks (like 2 mi E of downtown Reno). Of course, it's a bit pricey (usually $7-8 for 3-4 ribs) but you can sample ribs from all over along with all the other unhealthy fair food.

  • Jump to: