Kilroy
Kilroy
Joined: Apr 24, 2020
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 8
September 9th, 2021 at 6:33:14 PM permalink
The Four Winds Casino in South Bend recently installed metal detectors at all entrances due to "too many guns getting through the door". The other three Four Winds Casinos in Michigan haven't done this yet. Has anyone seen this in other casinos?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4723
September 9th, 2021 at 9:01:26 PM permalink
I don't think I've seen it; possibly at Blue Chip in Michigan City (it's been a long time).

Are they more intrusive than the security tag sensors on the way out of a department store?
May the cards fall in your favor.
Kilroy
Kilroy
Joined: Apr 24, 2020
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 8
September 9th, 2021 at 9:25:49 PM permalink
My wife's purse set it off (false alarm) and they had to search it.
Keyser
Keyser
Joined: Apr 16, 2010
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2101
September 9th, 2021 at 10:03:54 PM permalink
Casinos will have to notify customers that they're walking through metal detectors so that people with pacemakers can avoid them.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
September 10th, 2021 at 5:08:17 AM permalink
Never heard of this, never heard of it being a problem. While there have been casino robberies they are very few. Unless you have a gang problem IMHO it is a bad idea as it will make people feel less safe.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 15605
September 10th, 2021 at 6:08:09 AM permalink
The Las Vegas casino formerly called the Hilton very publicly installed a system that identifies guns.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4723
September 10th, 2021 at 6:17:32 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Unless you have a gang problem IMHO it is a bad idea as it will make people feel less safe.



  • I feel perfectly safe when I stop for groceries in Gary.
    There's an armed security guard by the front door.

    It wouldn't shock me at all to learn that ardRo Northern Indiana (What the hck? Did they install the rest of the sign yet?) had metal detectors.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    Marcusclark66
    Marcusclark66
    Joined: Mar 26, 2020
    • Threads: 33
    • Posts: 1140
    September 10th, 2021 at 7:17:00 AM permalink
    Countless casinos around the USA have them. There are numerous reasons and install factors including that of insurance underwriters, surety companies as well as other governmental influences.

    They work more than they do not and might allow something through. But without almost everything would get through. FYI.
    Marcus Clark. Real Person; AKA MarcusClark66. *Professional Casino Security Expert. *Certified EMT *Certified Company Firearms Instructor. *Certified Gaming Regulations Interpreter for Corporate Applications. *Domestic UrbanTactical Combat Casualty Expert. *Tic-Tac-Toe Expert (Real Competitive Versions) & Mastering Chess. *Honorary & Official #1 Fan of the MDawg Adventures Club. *Mastering Cracking it. Bit-by-Bit, Piece-by-Piece Crediting Forum Members. *Certified Casino Property Entry & Exit Point Analyzer *Baccarat Winning Session Record: 12 out of 12 & 1 out of 1 Mini Session. Baccarat Losing Session Record: 2 Losing Sessions.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    Joined: Sep 27, 2018
    • Threads: 36
    • Posts: 6438
    September 10th, 2021 at 7:31:48 AM permalink
    For a while last year Wynn was utilizing metal detecting wands on weekends at all entrances.

    I am aware that at least Venetian X-Rays some incoming luggage that is handled through the bellmen.

    Currently Cosmopolitan allows only registered guests or those with Identity (player) cards to enter the resort on weekends.
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    Joined: Jul 23, 2014
    • Threads: 15
    • Posts: 4723
    August 11th, 2022 at 10:41:01 AM permalink
    Quote: Dieter

    Are they more intrusive than the security tag sensors on the way out of a department store?
    link to original post



    "No."

    They do seem to be sensitive enough to beep for metal in footwear or pockets.

    They have an aisleway edged with tensabarrier type cordons, the upright walk-through detectors like you might see at a store exit, and a security guard at the inner end checking you out if you beep the sensor, presumably with a wand type detector in the lectern style station.

    (In other news, construction seems to be going well. I think they were doing a gaming floor expansion along with the hotel construction.)

    edit: phrasing correction
    Last edited by: Dieter on Aug 11, 2022
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    Gandler
    Gandler
    Joined: Jan 27, 2014
    • Threads: 35
    • Posts: 1781
    August 11th, 2022 at 2:28:27 PM permalink
    I am honestly surprised more casinos do not have them. I can only recall one U.S. casino that had any kind of entry control point (metal detector, bag scan, and ID check for all and logs of entry), it felt like an airport line to get in.

    I am kind of surprised that more casinos do not do this with everything going on. But, most casinos are just a free for all, anyone just walks in off the street with no accountability (I know they track via surveillance, but its not the same).
    rxwine
    rxwine
    Joined: Feb 28, 2010
    • Threads: 200
    • Posts: 11729
    August 11th, 2022 at 4:12:06 PM permalink
    Quote: Gandler

    I am honestly surprised more casinos do not have them. I can only recall one U.S. casino that had any kind of entry control point (metal detector, bag scan, and ID check for all and logs of entry), it felt like an airport line to get in.

    I am kind of surprised that more casinos do not do this with everything going on. But, most casinos are just a free for all, anyone just walks in off the street with no accountability (I know they track via surveillance, but its not the same).
    link to original post



    I think security is mostly for more minor incidents whether violent or otherwise. Not major.

    Also I think they take the same attitude as banks. They donít make robbing banks at gunpoint all that hard. Thereís just a relentless pursuit by law enforcement that will be looking for you for years or decades. And seems most bank robbers donít stop at the first robbery. It wouldnít be that hard for them to also automatically scan random bills for serial numbers and keep a running record to turn over when they do get robbed. (Casinos that is)
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    BillHasRetired
    BillHasRetired
    Joined: May 7, 2022
    • Threads: 5
    • Posts: 191
    August 14th, 2022 at 8:37:45 AM permalink
    Were I casing a casino to rob it, here's what I'd notice:
    1) The cashier cage is waaaay in the back. That means I have to somehow get to the front (unless I'm going to crash out an emergency exit) without security tackling me.
    2) The cage is a hell of a lot harder to get into thank in years past.
    3) The floor layout is downright confusing sometimes, especially the newer casinos. There are no more straight lines. You've got to run through islands of slot machines, and that can be rough.

    There's a lot more, but casinos have to be both welcoming for the standard customer, while seeming difficult for the would-be robber.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    Joined: Feb 28, 2010
    • Threads: 200
    • Posts: 11729
    August 14th, 2022 at 9:40:49 AM permalink
    Quote: BillHasRetired

    Were I casing a casino to rob it, here's what I'd notice:
    1) The cashier cage is waaaay in the back. That means I have to somehow get to the front (unless I'm going to crash out an emergency exit) without security tackling me.
    2) The cage is a hell of a lot harder to get into thank in years past.
    3) The floor layout is downright confusing sometimes, especially the newer casinos. There are no more straight lines. You've got to run through islands of slot machines, and that can be rough.

    There's a lot more, but casinos have to be both welcoming for the standard customer, while seeming difficult for the would-be robber.
    link to original post



    Well, you make sure there is distraction at the farthest end of the casino from the cage that will attract security.

    And um, drop a bag of oiled marbles behind you for anyone trying to chase you.

    Carry a stick to swing at anyone on your way out who is getting in your way.

    And when you get to the exit hurl a flashbang grenade in case anyone is near the exit.

    Go to somewhere dark, hurl off your outer closes, don a wig, get in a wheelchair you stashed in the area.

    And push you way calmly out, possibly back towards the casino.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 239
    • Posts: 13434
    Thanks for this post from:
    RogerKint
    August 15th, 2022 at 3:17:15 AM permalink
    Quote: Gandler

    I am honestly surprised more casinos do not have them. I can only recall one U.S. casino that had any kind of entry control point (metal detector, bag scan, and ID check for all and logs of entry), it felt like an airport line to get in.

    I am kind of surprised that more casinos do not do this with everything going on. But, most casinos are just a free for all, anyone just walks in off the street with no accountability (I know they track via surveillance, but its not the same).



    What "everything" is going on?

    The thing is when you have to go thru metal detectors to get into a place you wonder what on earth is so bad that they need to have them. People do not want to be searched when they go to a place for fun, It sends a subtle message of "dangerous people might be here!"

    If a person feels unsafe in a casino because there are no metal detectors then such a person needs to stay at home.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    BillHasRetired
    BillHasRetired
    Joined: May 7, 2022
    • Threads: 5
    • Posts: 191
    Thanks for this post from:
    RogerKint
    August 15th, 2022 at 9:01:42 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    {snip}
    The thing is when you have to go thru metal detectors to get into a place you wonder what on earth is so bad that they need to have them. People do not want to be searched when they go to a place for fun, It sends a subtle message of "dangerous people might be here!"
    link to original post



    My brother had a saying: "When the strip club puts in metal detectors, it's time to find another club." Seemed the right concept.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    Joined: Feb 28, 2010
    • Threads: 200
    • Posts: 11729
    August 15th, 2022 at 12:44:04 PM permalink
    Quote: BillHasRetired

    Quote: AZDuffman

    {snip}
    The thing is when you have to go thru metal detectors to get into a place you wonder what on earth is so bad that they need to have them. People do not want to be searched when they go to a place for fun, It sends a subtle message of "dangerous people might be here!"
    link to original post



    My brother had a saying: "When the strip club puts in metal detectors, it's time to find another club." Seemed the right concept.
    link to original post



    I believe it has been said before that casinos are somehow covering up the actual amount of crime that occurs as it's bad publicity. Not sure how that would work.

    It is legal to keep it out of the news if they paid people off, but other than that, other methods are likely not legal. I never heard anyone claim they were compensated by a casino not to report a crime. That might be achievable though. But still never seen any reports on this.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    Gandler
    Gandler
    Joined: Jan 27, 2014
    • Threads: 35
    • Posts: 1781
    August 15th, 2022 at 2:35:27 PM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    Quote: Gandler

    I am honestly surprised more casinos do not have them. I can only recall one U.S. casino that had any kind of entry control point (metal detector, bag scan, and ID check for all and logs of entry), it felt like an airport line to get in.

    I am kind of surprised that more casinos do not do this with everything going on. But, most casinos are just a free for all, anyone just walks in off the street with no accountability (I know they track via surveillance, but its not the same).



    What "everything" is going on?

    The thing is when you have to go thru metal detectors to get into a place you wonder what on earth is so bad that they need to have them. People do not want to be searched when they go to a place for fun, It sends a subtle message of "dangerous people might be here!"

    If a person feels unsafe in a casino because there are no metal detectors then such a person needs to stay at home.
    link to original post



    The same reason you go through metal detectors and/or patdowns at MLB games, and many (maybe now most) concerts. Any place that has large crowds can be a target of dangerous activity. And, even more than that at, such places most people are usually very intoxicated, so you don't want such people to be wandering around with weapons (even knives).

    I had a friend who had a multitool confiscated from a club in a casino (where there was a pat down and scan to get in, once already deep inside the casino), but it was completely fine for him to be in the actual casino with it (security actually gave it back when we left the club), but the tiny club inside the casino was deemed too risky.... How many stabbings happen at casinos? I can think of two off of the top of my head. Without even getting into how casinos are ample terror and mass shooting targets by certain groups who oppose everything casinos stand for (robberies aside), and just general crazy people.

    Not to mention this would probably stop (or lessen) less dangerous, but more common annoyances (like the constant panhandling types and people offering drugs).

    I personally would not like it (and my one experience with a casino that had such an ECP was negative), but I would guess if there is a mass event a casino it will start to happen, and I can see the arguments for it. And, ECPs can serve other purposes, like checking Vax cards along with ID, or whatever else needs to be checked at that point in history etc...

    I suspect most casinos want random people walking in off the street, because every warm body is a few more potential dollars, so I don't think such measures would be adopted until something happens. (Most safety measures are in response to a tragedy, rarely are they proactive). Think about how the Vegas shooter led to mandatory daily room cleanings at that resort (as opposed to just scanning bags to make sure there are not weapons inside as people check in, now housekeeping is supposed to note suspicions inside the room....) (Some resorts did do a bag scan after the attack, but have since stopped).
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 239
    • Posts: 13434
    August 15th, 2022 at 2:58:40 PM permalink
    Quote: Gandler



    The same reason you go through metal detectors and/or patdowns at MLB games, and many (maybe now most) concerts. Any place that has large crowds can be a target of dangerous activity. And, even more than that at, such places most people are usually very intoxicated, so you don't want such people to be wandering around with weapons (even knives).

    I had a friend who had a multitool confiscated from a club in a casino (where there was a pat down and scan to get in, once already deep inside the casino), but it was completely fine for him to be in the actual casino with it (security actually gave it back when we left the club), but the tiny club inside the casino was deemed too risky.... How many stabbings happen at casinos? I can think of two off of the top of my head. Without even getting into how casinos are ample terror and mass shooting targets by certain groups who oppose everything casinos stand for (robberies aside), and just general crazy people.



    This kind of thing can happen anywhere. I can see it being done in the "club" areas, especially if it is the kind of club known for violence, like a hip-hop theme. That one seems to attract problem people. But the other areas? I do not really see any net benefit. It would change the feel of places like Flamingo or Freemont Street where you can walk into an open-air area. Main problems I have heard of are when groups like rival MCs get into a beef. Random violence not so much.

    Casinos need to be welcoming, not treat everyone like a criminal. At most there is already some kind of security at entry points. Said security can search someone who gives good reason.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    DRich
    DRich
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    • Threads: 85
    • Posts: 10766
    August 15th, 2022 at 3:54:20 PM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    Said security can search someone who gives good reason.



    Not legally they can't. They may be able to detain you until authorities get there but I doubt they can legally search you without your permission.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    Gandler
    Gandler
    Joined: Jan 27, 2014
    • Threads: 35
    • Posts: 1781
    August 15th, 2022 at 4:03:38 PM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    Quote: Gandler



    The same reason you go through metal detectors and/or patdowns at MLB games, and many (maybe now most) concerts. Any place that has large crowds can be a target of dangerous activity. And, even more than that at, such places most people are usually very intoxicated, so you don't want such people to be wandering around with weapons (even knives).

    I had a friend who had a multitool confiscated from a club in a casino (where there was a pat down and scan to get in, once already deep inside the casino), but it was completely fine for him to be in the actual casino with it (security actually gave it back when we left the club), but the tiny club inside the casino was deemed too risky.... How many stabbings happen at casinos? I can think of two off of the top of my head. Without even getting into how casinos are ample terror and mass shooting targets by certain groups who oppose everything casinos stand for (robberies aside), and just general crazy people.



    This kind of thing can happen anywhere. I can see it being done in the "club" areas, especially if it is the kind of club known for violence, like a hip-hop theme. That one seems to attract problem people. But the other areas? I do not really see any net benefit. It would change the feel of places like Flamingo or Freemont Street where you can walk into an open-air area. Main problems I have heard of are when groups like rival MCs get into a beef. Random violence not so much.

    Casinos need to be welcoming, not treat everyone like a criminal. At most there is already some kind of security at entry points. Said security can search someone who gives good reason.
    link to original post



    It can happen anywhere, but volume matters and state of mind matters. When you are hosting an event that packs people in, and those people are pretty much expected to be intoxicated, it can lead to problems. More likely than say a grocery store or a museum (which often have more entry security measures than casinos ironically).

    And, casinos are designed to pack in people with addictive personalities (which can stem from other issues), and promote intoxication, if you add weapons into the mix it can be deadly. And, that is not even considering the wild card of mass shooters or terrorists which target such places. There is a reason many other comparable venues have such checkpoints and scans. The main reason (most) casinos do not is because they want random people wandering in who may not otherwise if they have to go through a series of security measures.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 239
    • Posts: 13434
    August 15th, 2022 at 4:34:10 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

    Quote: AZDuffman

    Said security can search someone who gives good reason.



    Not legally they can't. They may be able to detain you until authorities get there but I doubt they can legally search you without your permission.
    link to original post



    Sure they can. Just post that all persons and packages are subject to search. Didn't you or someone say upthread about being searched before entering a baseball game?
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 239
    • Posts: 13434
    Thanks for this post from:
    RogerKint
    August 15th, 2022 at 4:37:43 PM permalink
    Quote: Gandler

    Quote: AZDuffman

    Quote: Gandler



    The same reason you go through metal detectors and/or patdowns at MLB games, and many (maybe now most) concerts. Any place that has large crowds can be a target of dangerous activity. And, even more than that at, such places most people are usually very intoxicated, so you don't want such people to be wandering around with weapons (even knives).

    I had a friend who had a multitool confiscated from a club in a casino (where there was a pat down and scan to get in, once already deep inside the casino), but it was completely fine for him to be in the actual casino with it (security actually gave it back when we left the club), but the tiny club inside the casino was deemed too risky.... How many stabbings happen at casinos? I can think of two off of the top of my head. Without even getting into how casinos are ample terror and mass shooting targets by certain groups who oppose everything casinos stand for (robberies aside), and just general crazy people.



    This kind of thing can happen anywhere. I can see it being done in the "club" areas, especially if it is the kind of club known for violence, like a hip-hop theme. That one seems to attract problem people. But the other areas? I do not really see any net benefit. It would change the feel of places like Flamingo or Freemont Street where you can walk into an open-air area. Main problems I have heard of are when groups like rival MCs get into a beef. Random violence not so much.

    Casinos need to be welcoming, not treat everyone like a criminal. At most there is already some kind of security at entry points. Said security can search someone who gives good reason.
    link to original post



    It can happen anywhere, but volume matters and state of mind matters. When you are hosting an event that packs people in, and those people are pretty much expected to be intoxicated, it can lead to problems. More likely than say a grocery store or a museum (which often have more entry security measures than casinos ironically).

    And, casinos are designed to pack in people with addictive personalities (which can stem from other issues), and promote intoxication, if you add weapons into the mix it can be deadly. And, that is not even considering the wild card of mass shooters or terrorists which target such places. There is a reason many other comparable venues have such checkpoints and scans. The main reason (most) casinos do not is because they want random people wandering in who may not otherwise if they have to go through a series of security measures.
    link to original post



    Sounds to me like you need to just stay home.

    All the same discussions were said about the virus in 2020. All the danger, this and that. In the end some people lived afraid and the rest of us lived our lives. I choose to live life. If a mass shooter is going to get me they are going to get me. If you avoid getting into a fight in the first place you have little to worry about from weapons someone is carrying. And if you act polite you are probably good 99.999% of the time.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    Gandler
    Gandler
    Joined: Jan 27, 2014
    • Threads: 35
    • Posts: 1781
    August 15th, 2022 at 5:55:11 PM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    Quote: Gandler

    Quote: AZDuffman

    Quote: Gandler



    The same reason you go through metal detectors and/or patdowns at MLB games, and many (maybe now most) concerts. Any place that has large crowds can be a target of dangerous activity. And, even more than that at, such places most people are usually very intoxicated, so you don't want such people to be wandering around with weapons (even knives).

    I had a friend who had a multitool confiscated from a club in a casino (where there was a pat down and scan to get in, once already deep inside the casino), but it was completely fine for him to be in the actual casino with it (security actually gave it back when we left the club), but the tiny club inside the casino was deemed too risky.... How many stabbings happen at casinos? I can think of two off of the top of my head. Without even getting into how casinos are ample terror and mass shooting targets by certain groups who oppose everything casinos stand for (robberies aside), and just general crazy people.



    This kind of thing can happen anywhere. I can see it being done in the "club" areas, especially if it is the kind of club known for violence, like a hip-hop theme. That one seems to attract problem people. But the other areas? I do not really see any net benefit. It would change the feel of places like Flamingo or Freemont Street where you can walk into an open-air area. Main problems I have heard of are when groups like rival MCs get into a beef. Random violence not so much.

    Casinos need to be welcoming, not treat everyone like a criminal. At most there is already some kind of security at entry points. Said security can search someone who gives good reason.
    link to original post



    It can happen anywhere, but volume matters and state of mind matters. When you are hosting an event that packs people in, and those people are pretty much expected to be intoxicated, it can lead to problems. More likely than say a grocery store or a museum (which often have more entry security measures than casinos ironically).

    And, casinos are designed to pack in people with addictive personalities (which can stem from other issues), and promote intoxication, if you add weapons into the mix it can be deadly. And, that is not even considering the wild card of mass shooters or terrorists which target such places. There is a reason many other comparable venues have such checkpoints and scans. The main reason (most) casinos do not is because they want random people wandering in who may not otherwise if they have to go through a series of security measures.
    link to original post



    Sounds to me like you need to just stay home.

    All the same discussions were said about the virus in 2020. All the danger, this and that. In the end some people lived afraid and the rest of us lived our lives. I choose to live life. If a mass shooter is going to get me they are going to get me. If you avoid getting into a fight in the first place you have little to worry about from weapons someone is carrying. And if you act polite you are probably good 99.999% of the time.
    link to original post




    Personality and politeness have zero correlation with reducing your risk of terrorism and mass shootings (where the individuals present are almost never a factor). Even more personal crimes like random robbery, its probably marginal at best. It may help you avoid a fight and may help you deescalate an unnecessary confrontation, but for the worst attacks it will not matter. Though being too agreeable can also make you subject to violence because you are looked at as an easy target, so I would guess it cancels out (helps with some confrontation, harms with others, with the most severe -the ones that really matter- is completely irrelevant).

    Though the virus analogy is good, because its about reasonable precautions. Some people were upset when casinos screened for temps and travel history (pre-vax), but this was a reasonable precaution at the time. When the MLB started metal detectors and scanning (I think 2016), some people were upset because it was intrusive, but it was a reasonable precaution. Its not about being afraid to leave home, its about businesses making a good faith effort to protect customers. Sometimes this causes a minor intrusion of privacy, but its worth it to feel safe. How many people had a fit about the TSA when it was new? And, how many continued to fly anyway? (actually continued to rise every year until 2020).

    Again, I don't want casinos to adopt this, but I think its reasonable if some choose to. Its really not the end of the world, especially when you think that every concert that you go to, every sports game that you go to, most clubs that you go to, already do the exact same thing, and you do not stop going to them for entertainment.... In some ways it would actually cause a long term convivence over the course of your night, because when you think about every table that you sit down at, every time you order a drink, anytime you pass a bored security guard, you may have to show your ID and stand or sit there while looking at a camera on the ceiling, showing your ID once at the entrance would eliminate all of this (just like in a club that has a 100% scan you don't have to show your ID every time that you order a drink, but open bars often do, even if they know you).
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 239
    • Posts: 13434
    Thanks for this post from:
    RogerKint
    August 16th, 2022 at 3:15:12 AM permalink
    Quote: Gandler




    Personality and politeness have zero correlation with reducing your risk of terrorism and mass shootings (where the individuals present are almost never a factor). Even more personal crimes like random robbery, its probably marginal at best. It may help you avoid a fight and may help you deescalate an unnecessary confrontation, but for the worst attacks it will not matter. Though being too agreeable can also make you subject to violence because you are looked at as an easy target, so I would guess it cancels out (helps with some confrontation, harms with others, with the most severe -the ones that really matter- is completely irrelevant).



    My chances of dying from terrorism or a mass shooting are essentially zero. Other than staying out of areas of town where a drive-by is more likely and staying in the USA vs. say travel to the Gaza Strip the most I can do is be situationally aware. We had a mass shooting at a casino in Vegas but guess what, it was not even from within the casino! It was from the guy's room. Do you want to endure a search every time you go back to your room? I do not.


    Quote:

    Though the virus analogy is good, because its about reasonable precautions. Some people were upset when casinos screened for temps and travel history (pre-vax), but this was a reasonable precaution at the time. When the MLB started metal detectors and scanning (I think 2016), some people were upset because it was intrusive, but it was a reasonable precaution. Its not about being afraid to leave home, its about businesses making a good faith effort to protect customers. Sometimes this causes a minor intrusion of privacy, but its worth it to feel safe. How many people had a fit about the TSA when it was new? And, how many continued to fly anyway? (actually continued to rise every year until 2020).



    Calling for it everywhere is about being afraid. Here is an example. After 9/11 some people said things like what if someone hijacked a Greyhound bus to crash it into something? Should we not have a search before people board buses? This shows no matter how impractical the idea some people will suggest it because they want a total no-risk life. As to the TSA they do make me less likely to want to fly somewhere because they hassle people with no real reasoning. Remember them searching little kids and old people in wheelchairs because the random pattern said they had to?

    Quote:

    Again, I don't want casinos to adopt this, but I think its reasonable if some choose to. Its really not the end of the world, especially when you think that every concert that you go to, every sports game that you go to, most clubs that you go to, already do the exact same thing, and you do not stop going to them for entertainment.... In some ways it would actually cause a long term convivence over the course of your night, because when you think about every table that you sit down at, every time you order a drink, anytime you pass a bored security guard, you may have to show your ID and stand or sit there while looking at a camera on the ceiling, showing your ID once at the entrance would eliminate all of this (just like in a club that has a 100% scan you don't have to show your ID every time that you order a drink, but open bars often do, even if they know you).



    This is the same kind of rationalization we saw with virus restrictions. Same kind we hear when ANY kind of restriction starts to happen. "Yeah, we can only drive 55 now but it will probably save lives......" The restriction probably does not solve any actual problem, but people rationalize it being good.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    Joined: Jul 23, 2014
    • Threads: 15
    • Posts: 4723
    August 16th, 2022 at 4:01:33 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    This is the same kind of rationalization we saw with virus restrictions. Same kind we hear when ANY kind of restriction starts to happen. "Yeah, we can only drive 55 now but it will probably save lives......" The restriction probably does not solve any actual problem, but people rationalize it being good.
    link to original post



    Friendly caution that this is almost starting to look like a political diatribe.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    DRich
    DRich
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    • Threads: 85
    • Posts: 10766
    August 16th, 2022 at 4:59:52 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

    Quote: DRich

    Quote: AZDuffman

    Said security can search someone who gives good reason.



    Not legally they can't. They may be able to detain you until authorities get there but I doubt they can legally search you without your permission.
    link to original post



    Sure they can. Just post that all persons and packages are subject to search. Didn't you or someone say upthread about being searched before entering a baseball game?
    link to original post



    It wasn't me, but at a baseball game you are consenting to a search to go into the game. The same can be said for a casino, but they can't legally search you if you don't give them permission. Just because you are in a casino doesn't give them the right to search you.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    Vegasrider
    Vegasrider
    Joined: Dec 23, 2017
    • Threads: 87
    • Posts: 959
    August 16th, 2022 at 1:56:27 PM permalink
    Really surprised that the WSOP does not screen anyone, players or spectators. Huge international event involving thousands. Anyone dressed in a jacket with a stuffed backpack wearing a hat and sunglasses would be a red flag in the middle of summer in the desert. But that is your typical wardrobe for a poker player. All it takes is one or a group of people to self detonate in a very congested confined space.

    Searches must be conducted for these events!
    Gandler
    Gandler
    Joined: Jan 27, 2014
    • Threads: 35
    • Posts: 1781
    August 16th, 2022 at 2:17:32 PM permalink
    Quote: Vegasrider

    Really surprised that the WSOP does not screen anyone, players or spectators. Huge international event involving thousands. Anyone dressed in a jacket with a stuffed backpack wearing a hat and sunglasses would be a red flag in the middle of summer in the desert. But that is your typical wardrobe for a poker player. All it takes is one or a group of people to self detonate in a very congested confined space.

    Searches must be conducted for these events!
    link to original post



    Apparently a casino in Philadelphia started a program, though despite spending a lot of time there I have never actually been in a Philly Casino. This article (below) says that all casinos in Philadelphia (I guess all of PA technically) are required to have entry control points for 100% ID checks for both age and to ensure you are not on an exclusion list. Since I have never been I have no idea how strictly this is enforced from personal experience.

    But, it seems this casino is also adding additional screenings into this process to include metal detectors and bag checks.

    https://www.pennbets.com/rivers-casino-philadelphia-weapons-screenings-metal-detectors/
    MrV
    MrV
    Joined: Feb 13, 2010
    • Threads: 355
    • Posts: 7899
    August 16th, 2022 at 2:33:31 PM permalink
    Quote: Gandler

    T. How many stabbings happen at casinos? I can think of two off of the top of my head. Without even getting into how casinos are ample terror and mass shooting targets by certain groups who oppose everything casinos stand for (robberies aside), and just general crazy people.



    Once was enough.

    River Run Riot
    "What, me worry?"
    Vegasrider
    Vegasrider
    Joined: Dec 23, 2017
    • Threads: 87
    • Posts: 959
    August 16th, 2022 at 4:11:17 PM permalink
    If I was ever going to be a victim of a crime, being at the casino is where I would want to be. Casinos has one of the best surveillance systems in addition to their security staff. Everyone is on camera, they have the ability to backtrack your steps to when and how you arrived the second you entered the property.
    DRich
    DRich
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    • Threads: 85
    • Posts: 10766
    Thanks for this post from:
    camapl
    August 16th, 2022 at 5:00:01 PM permalink
    Quote: Vegasrider

    If I was ever going to be a victim of a crime, being at the casino is where I would want to be. Casinos has one of the best surveillance systems in addition to their security staff. Everyone is on camera, they have the ability to backtrack your steps to when and how you arrived the second you entered the property.
    link to original post



    That is true unless it is the casino committing the crime and then all of the video seems to disappear.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    Sandybestdog
    Sandybestdog
    Joined: Feb 3, 2015
    • Threads: 1
    • Posts: 292
    August 16th, 2022 at 7:59:30 PM permalink
    I went to Rivers a few months ago and they have metal detectors. I have also seen them at other casinos but only after 9pm or whenever. Iím surprised more places donít use them. Iím all for civil liberties. You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Making you get the jab or you canít leave your house or get a job is a violation of your right to provide for yourself. You do not have the right to go into a casino, stadium, concert etc and tell them you arenít going to follow their security rules. Iím surprised more places donít have screenings. When there were a string concert shootings a few years ago I was surprised you didnít hear more about it. Lately every one that I have been to has had metal detectors.

    Also I donít really have that much of a problem with profiling. Itís not old grandmaís shooting people. Iím a young white male. I donít mean any harm to anybody but also realize almost every crime is committed by a young male across all of racial classes. I donít mind going through a metal detector if Iím going to a secure area. Now if I passed, any search beyond that would be intrusive. Before metal detectors at concerts, some places were just checking bags and purses. I never understood why they were looking in an old ladyís purse. Sheís not the demo youíre looking for.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    Joined: Feb 28, 2010
    • Threads: 200
    • Posts: 11729
    August 17th, 2022 at 10:44:30 AM permalink
    Lots of doorbell cameras everywhere. Hard to stay undercover.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    DogHand
    DogHand
    Joined: Sep 24, 2011
    • Threads: 2
    • Posts: 1222
    August 17th, 2022 at 10:51:56 AM permalink
    Quote: Sandybestdog

    I went to Rivers a few months ago and they have metal detectors. <snip>link to original post



    Sandybestdog,

    Not sure if you meant Rivers near Chicago, but I was there recently and they have metal detectors to screen all entrants.

    Dog Hand
    darkoz
    darkoz
    Joined: Dec 22, 2009
    • Threads: 285
    • Posts: 10943
    August 17th, 2022 at 12:00:41 PM permalink
    Quote: Gandler

    Quote: Vegasrider

    Really surprised that the WSOP does not screen anyone, players or spectators. Huge international event involving thousands. Anyone dressed in a jacket with a stuffed backpack wearing a hat and sunglasses would be a red flag in the middle of summer in the desert. But that is your typical wardrobe for a poker player. All it takes is one or a group of people to self detonate in a very congested confined space.

    Searches must be conducted for these events!
    link to original post



    Apparently a casino in Philadelphia started a program, though despite spending a lot of time there I have never actually been in a Philly Casino. This article (below) says that all casinos in Philadelphia (I guess all of PA technically) are required to have entry control points for 100% ID checks for both age and to ensure you are not on an exclusion list. Since I have never been I have no idea how strictly this is enforced from personal experience.

    But, it seems this casino is also adding additional screenings into this process to include metal detectors and bag checks.

    https://www.pennbets.com/rivers-casino-philadelphia-weapons-screenings-metal-detectors/
    link to original post



    Rivers has a huge inner city clientele and a past history of incident. I can see them trying to protect themselves from litigation and incidents.

    That said they were swamped with a series of robberies where patrons who won large sums were followed home and robbed there

    Metal detectors would have zero influence on that outcome.
    For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
    Sandybestdog
    Sandybestdog
    Joined: Feb 3, 2015
    • Threads: 1
    • Posts: 292
    August 17th, 2022 at 12:05:16 PM permalink
    Quote: DogHand

    Quote: Sandybestdog

    I went to Rivers a few months ago and they have metal detectors. <snip>link to original post



    Sandybestdog,

    Not sure if you meant Rivers near Chicago, but I was there recently and they have metal detectors to screen all entrants.

    Dog Hand
    link to original post

    Rivers Philly

    • Jump to: