ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 1288
September 29th, 2020 at 4:11:50 AM permalink
Wind Creek Bethlehem lays off about 450 people due to coronavirus impact - SEP 24, 2020
https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/mc-nws-coronavirus-wind-creek-bethlehem-layoffs-20200924-rl2fzzhqofelrc5y5mudwzv77i-story.html

Edited: Click link for full story.
Wind Creek Bethlehem is laying off 20% of its staff — about 450 people — because of the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on business, a casino official said Thursday.
The casino notified furloughed employees they will not be asked to return to work, and eliminated some jobs, spokeswoman Julia Corwin said.

“We closed Emeril’s Fish House permanently today," Corwin said, referring to the restaurant connected to celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.

Wind Creek Bethlehem temporarily closed March 15, four days before confirming one of its employees tested positive for the coronavirus. Two more employees tested positive by March 27.
The casino paid its roughly 2,400 employees through the end of May but furloughed 2,095 of them June 1, as the downturn entered its third month.

When it reopened June 29, more than three months later, statewide safety measures dictated casinos operate at no more than 50% normal occupancy. Wind Creek Bethlehem had less than 50% occupancy, with just 1,200 of its 3,045 slots operating and limitations on the number of players at its tables.

The casino called back about 1,400 of its employees at the time. It planned to recall more as it increased its capacity.

In August, its first full month since reopening, Wind Creek logged gambling revenue of $28 million in July, the lowest full month of gambling revenue recorded in nine years.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 235
  • Posts: 7148
September 29th, 2020 at 7:48:16 AM permalink
This is what I was talking about for the crowd of people screaming we have to save the economy by reopening.

If patrons don't feel safe they aren't coming. The first full month of reopening and Wind Creek does horrible. Suddenly workers are laid off

What happened to your saving the economy by reopening?

Of course I am all for reopening in areas that took extreme measures to Tampa down the infection rate. Yes the economy was hurt but clearly it was a no win situation anyway.

If the economy is going to be damaged no matter what you do, might as well save lives doing it
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 643
September 29th, 2020 at 11:17:33 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

If patrons don't feel safe they aren't coming.



For better or worse, Florida has thrown caution to the wind, and declared the state, once again, is open for business. As I see it, the state bets it can convince patrons -- including visitors, conventions, and a February 2021 Superbowl in Tampa, with every seat in the stadium filled -- to come and visit. Florida is going all-in on reopening its economy and all-done with the pandemic.

Over the next several months, we will all see whether or not the pandemic is all-done with Florida.
heatmap
heatmap
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
  • Threads: 163
  • Posts: 1146
September 29th, 2020 at 12:36:32 PM permalink
not a single person wants to put up with all of these extra rules that must be followed. wind creek is a ghost town. the whole point of going out to the casino is to have fun with other people. these new rules make it about business and business only. come in bet your money, and leave. there is no extra activities to make me stay. no nightclub, no restaurants, no bars. i mean there really is no point in going.

if this is the "new normal" as they are trying to make us believe, and then they want us to support local businesses who also make us put up with these hypocritically dumb rules (mask on while walking through the business, mask off when sitting down hahaha right), then they will fail too.

"were protecting you by implementing these new suggestions" - righttttt

everyone who believes this "pandemic" are too scared to even go out, and the ones who do go are fed up with the extra crap, because they know its crap, and will eventually not come back because of how they are treated now and how they will be treated for the rest of time.

i was at a restaurant this past weekend, not related to wind creek, and we saw one of our friends who subsequently came over to our table to take a shot with us, and he immediately got scolded and told he couldnt join our group for it because of the rules. that was one of our 3 strikes. yeah the business has a 3 strike rule. never will i ever go back to that business.

lol if any of you all think this is sustainable i think im going to keep laughing at this thread and say screw these businesses and that i hope they all fail. screw the casino. and screw any business who chooses to implement things that are not even laws. these are suggestions that are being illegally enforced at the cost of the business owners who actually think this is going to end.

"the new normal"... doesnt sound like it is ever going to end to me.

this pandemic is that amount of people who followed these suggestions and decided that it was okay to shut down our economy.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 235
  • Posts: 7148
September 29th, 2020 at 2:34:50 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

not a single person wants to put up with all of these extra rules that must be followed. wind creek is a ghost town. the whole point of going out to the casino is to have fun with other people. these new rules make it about business and business only. come in bet your money, and leave. there is no extra activities to make me stay. no nightclub, no restaurants, no bars. i mean there really is no point in going.

if this is the "new normal" as they are trying to make us believe, and then they want us to support local businesses who also make us put up with these hypocritically dumb rules (mask on while walking through the business, mask off when sitting down hahaha right), then they will fail too.

"were protecting you by implementing these new suggestions" - righttttt

everyone who believes this "pandemic" are too scared to even go out, and the ones who do go are fed up with the extra crap, because they know its crap, and will eventually not come back because of how they are treated now and how they will be treated for the rest of time.

i was at a restaurant this past weekend, not related to wind creek, and we saw one of our friends who subsequently came over to our table to take a shot with us, and he immediately got scolded and told he couldnt join our group for it because of the rules. that was one of our 3 strikes. yeah the business has a 3 strike rule. never will i ever go back to that business.

lol if any of you all think this is sustainable i think im going to keep laughing at this thread and say screw these businesses and that i hope they all fail. screw the casino. and screw any business who chooses to implement things that are not even laws. these are suggestions that are being illegally enforced at the cost of the business owners who actually think this is going to end.

"the new normal"... doesnt sound like it is ever going to end to me.

this pandemic is that amount of people who followed these suggestions and decided that it was okay to shut down our economy.



The irony of your statement is twofold.

First you appear to be concerned about business (isn't that the argument about keeping the economy open) but you state unequivocally you hope these businesses fail because they enforce standards you don't agree with!

That doesn't sound like someone who cares about the economy. Just their own self-interest!

Secondly, the irony is those people that you put down as feeding into the pandemic restrictions are the very same people going on with life, making money and yes, enjoying their outings even with the restrictions. So after arguing for reopening it's you who are unsatisfied and will eventually destroy (and openly wish for) a destroyed economy

As for this pandemic being real, I have lost a good friend to it. Please don't tell me my friends death was fake. That's highly insulting
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
heatmap
heatmap
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
  • Threads: 163
  • Posts: 1146
September 29th, 2020 at 3:06:15 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz


That's highly insulting



sorry if you think thats going to make me change my opinion but in my experience this is how i feel
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2112
September 29th, 2020 at 4:47:30 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

The first full month of reopening and Wind Creek does horrible.



That statement is very misleading.

Horrible based on what comparison?

Horrible compared to the revenue they had in the first full month re-pened after a prior pandemic ? That didn’t exist. So there’s no way to say $28 million is great or terrible.

The article says it was the worst month they’ve ever had and I can guarantee you they fully expected that to be the case before they reopened. Keep in mind a lot of the overhead expenses are lower as well. Revenue figures and how good or horrible they are is totally based on what the forecast was, as you might know from investing. So who knows, maybe they only expected $20 million.

Horrible compared to prior year’s Augusts? Again obviously not comparable.

$28 million is $28 million more than they made any month March through July.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 235
  • Posts: 7148
September 29th, 2020 at 5:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

That statement is very misleading.

Horrible based on what comparison?

Horrible compared to the revenue they had in the first full month re-pened after a prior pandemic ? That didn’t exist. So there’s no way to say $28 million is great or terrible.

The article says it was the worst month they’ve ever had and I can guarantee you they fully expected that to be the case before they reopened. Keep in mind a lot of the overhead expenses are lower as well. Revenue figures and how good or horrible they are is totally based on what the forecast was, as you might know from investing. So who knows, maybe they only expected $20 million.

Horrible compared to prior year’s Augusts? Again obviously not comparable.

$28 million is $28 million more than they made any month March through July.



"Worst month they've ever had"

Employees laid off.

Not sure how you spin this any other way but horrible
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2112
September 29th, 2020 at 7:10:43 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

"Worst month they've ever had"

Employees laid off.

Not sure how you spin this any other way but horrible



Again, you’re comparing their first month after reopening from a pandemic to all the prior years and months of them being open when it was total normalcy.

And March through July every worker they had was laid off. Now some have their jobs back.

How is $28 million in revenue and some employees working not better than $0 revenue and every single employee not working ?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 1288
September 29th, 2020 at 10:33:59 PM permalink
It might be enough to put the casino on life support so they can keep their doors open into the new year. Call it a Safe Mode.

  • Jump to: