ikusa
ikusa
  • Threads: 11
May 19th, 2012 at 9:30:59 AM permalink
I have an unconfirmed report that, when ignoring the dealer's up card, the simplest strategy is to only play AKJ84 or higher, and fold AKJ83.
However, after doing the math I came up with playing AKJ94 or higher, folding AKJ93. Can anyone help me confirm which is correct?
Also, what would the house edge be? I don't write code so I have no simulation.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
May 19th, 2012 at 10:28:45 AM permalink
The wizard of odds site has the house advantage of the AKJ83 or better at about 5.316%. If your strategy is AKJ94, there are fewer errors above this ranking, and yet there are some additional errors from AKJ84 to AKJ93. Overall your advantage might decrease to something like 5.31%.

Using this analogy, the simplest set of rules are:

1.) Raise any hand ranked AKQyz or better (including all hands ranked 1 pair or better)
2.) Fold any hand ranked AQxyz or less.
3.) If you hold a hand ranked AK J yz, raise if the dealer up-card matches any of your 5 cards, else fold
4.) If you hold AK xyz, where the "x" is a Ten or less, raise if the Dealer's up-card matches the x, y, or z, else fold.

This is not as good as the Optimal (very difficult) strategy, or the Wizard's strategy (simple, with one twist), but is very close.
My analysis of the error-count leads me to believe this Rule-set above is about 5.242% (there are 120 errors compared to the Wizard's strategy: the AKJ83 strategy has IIRC 650 errors).
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: