Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 12th, 2019 at 1:33:11 AM permalink
The single winner of the biggest lottery prize in American history to date recently came forward to claim the mega jackpot 5 months after the drawing.

If it were me, I would have been at the lottery office the next business day, to start enjoying my windfall. So, it struck me as really odd that the winner didn't come forward right away, and after a couple of weeks I assumed that the ticket was lost. I haven't seen any explanation for the timing of the claim.

Assuming the delay was by choice, what were the odds the winner, a male at least 18 years old living in rural South Carolina, would not have been able to cash the ticket because he died during the five month stall?

And related: Assuming the winner claimed the cash prize on day 1, kept 1 million in cash and invested the rest in guaranteed to low risk instruments, how much did he lose by waiting to claim the prize?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 12th, 2019 at 2:05:29 AM permalink
The biggest issue is staying or becoming anonymous. That's probably why it took so long. I don't think that kind of money can be anonymous, the truth will be discovered unless they're already quite rich or are people that just don't like spending money.
I am a robot.
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 66
March 12th, 2019 at 2:15:57 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

The biggest issue is staying or becoming anonymous. That's probably why it took so long. I don't think that kind of money can be anonymous, the truth will be discovered unless they're already quite rich or are people that just don't like spending money.

You can get a Lawyer/Trust Fund Representative to claim the ticket anonymously, but even that can backfire on you. A Couple tried to go the Lawyer/Trust Fund Representative route and still had to do a public press conference. They smiled but looked kind of upset, like,"We tried to do the Lawyer/Trust Fund Representative thing for a good reason. Why are we doing a public press conference in the first place? We shouldn't be here at all!"
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
  • Jump to: