rjs357
rjs357
  • Threads: 4
August 18th, 2014 at 12:25:56 PM permalink
The Wizard offers the tables at The Wizard’s Power Ratings
for rating the initial two cards of a ten-player Hold’em game. Ratings range from 0 to 40 with two hands,
(27)(28) unsuited, having the lowest rating 0 and one hand, (AA), having the highest rating 40, and they’re
based on the "Expected Value" column from 10-Player Hold’em.
I guessed that, as in integration, the range of expected values, from a = −.5211 to b = 2.1071, was divided
into 41 subintervals of equal length, the width of each subinterval being dx = (b−a)/41. This turns out not
to be the case. One can check that six hands, (26)(27)(28)(38)(29)(39) unsuited, would be rated 0 under
this criteria, their expected values lying between a and a+dx = −0.4570. I was wondering then what criteria
was used to categorize the expected value data? How was the number 41 of categories arrived at? I created
what amounts to a frequency histogram of the Wizard’s rankings.

I say "amounts to" because the width of a suited 2-card hand, being that it’s in bold, is slightly greater than
that of an unsuited hand. The histogram shows remarkable symmetry, approximating a normal distribution
with mean near rank 8. I think the table could be of value to players because it shows how any particular
hand ranks relative to all other hands.
  • Jump to: