mccamcam
mccamcam
  • Threads: 1
April 12th, 2013 at 10:11:09 AM permalink
What problems are created, if any, in a bingo game where players receive a random set of multiple cards all containing the same numbers but in different sequences? How would it change the odds and would it matter if done randomly?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 12th, 2013 at 10:20:35 AM permalink
Both cards would have the same odds.

On a somewhat related topic, I've heard that the printer of bingo cards makes only so many patterns of cards and then repeats the sequence when completed. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
April 12th, 2013 at 10:50:13 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Both cards would have the same odds.

On a somewhat related topic, I've heard that the printer of bingo cards makes only so many patterns of cards and then repeats the sequence when completed. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yep, That's how its done. About Bingo Paper
Each card has a verification number on the free space.
Oh, and you might find this pdf interesting
http://www.arrowinternational.com/images/docs/bingogamepatterns.pdf
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 12th, 2013 at 11:10:43 AM permalink
What is this familiarity with Bingo and willingness to discuss Bingo in an open fashion?

I thought everyone here was a sharpie gambler who would rarely be caught dead in Dotty's and never be seen in any Bingo hall.

Have Vegas diehards joined the ranks of The Blueies all goin' 'round town with daubers and one percent advantages?
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
April 12th, 2013 at 11:17:53 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

What is this familiarity with Bingo and willingness to discuss Bingo in an open fashion?

I thought everyone here was a sharpie gambler who would rarely be caught dead in Dotty's and never be seen in any Bingo hall.

Have Vegas diehards joined the ranks of The Blueies all goin' 'round town with daubers and one percent advantages?

I have started only 4 threads here. One titled "I Love Bingo!" It was my first form of gambling and while I don't go as often as I used to (average 3 sessions at 2.5 hours each a week) I still go about once a month. Its a cheap way to guaranty you wont blow your whole gambling budget in 5 minutes of evil variance.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 12th, 2013 at 12:47:57 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

Yep, That's how its done. About Bingo Paper
Each card has a verification number on the free space.
Oh, and you might find this pdf interesting
http://www.arrowinternational.com/images/docs/bingogamepatterns.pdf

Thanks for both links. Does anyone know if certain kinds of patterns are are excluded from a series? For example, one forum member told me that they won't do a column with five consecutive numbers.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 12th, 2013 at 12:54:31 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

Its a cheap way to guaranty you wont blow your whole gambling budget in 5 minutes of evil variance.

Well, that surely has advantages. Its so hard for me to get free drinks from cocktail waitresses if I've blown my entire bankroll at the craps table but I've nothing else to do all day but wander around pretending to gamble if things really did go wrong too many times at the start of my craps game.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
April 12th, 2013 at 6:41:33 PM permalink

Does anyone know if certain kinds of patterns are are excluded from a series? For example, one forum member told me that they won't do a column with five consecutive numbers.

Interesting question. I swear I have seen a consecutive B column (such as 10-11-12-13-14 from top to bottom), but I could be mistaken. Now that you have mentioned it, I will keep an eye out for such a card and take a picture if I see one.

I read somewhere that paper cards are "shaped to bring more players close to bingo," although off the top of my head I can't see how they do that without also increasing the average number of winners per game.

I would love to get my hands on the database of the 99,999 (or however many there are) standard paper cards.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
April 14th, 2013 at 2:39:12 PM permalink
I can only speak about old UK bingo cards where
(i) the numbers run 1 thru 90
(ii) each card has 3 lines of 5 numbers
(iii) six cards (e.g. 00001 to 00006) have all 90 numbers
(iv) any four consecutive cards on any 12-sheet, have different numbers (the papers are twelve cards long),
(v) every line across, or two lines, or card has unique combination of numbers.

(a) The simple, for use within one club, permutation ran from 1 to 12096 (or very similar) so that card 12097 had perm #1.
(b) For links, there were larger permutations but each club played within its own range (e.g. A 1-12096, B 12097-24192, C etc.)
(c) Then, with better computers who could keep a larger cycle, they designed a nation-wide permutation that had millions of cards, with club chains using this for a nation-wide game, and each club having its own specific range of cards.

btw there used to be a rule that if two duplicate cards won, EACH should receive the full prize, and there was a story that one club who accidentally sold too many cards one evening fell foul of this and got into real trouble.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
May 18th, 2013 at 7:39:40 PM permalink

Does anyone know if certain kinds of patterns are are excluded from a series? For example, one forum member told me that they won't do a column with five consecutive numbers.

I went to bingo tonight and discovered that I was given the perfect card to answer every possible interpretation of this question:

The B and G columns have 5 sequential numbers in mixed order,
The I column has 5 sequential numbers in increasing order, and
The O column has 5 sequential numbers in decreasing order.
  • Jump to: