rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 26th, 2010 at 2:17:03 AM permalink
Quote:

Dr Grigory Perelman, 44, lives as a recluse in a bare cockroach-infested flat in St Petersburg. He said through the closed door: 'I have all I want.'

The prize was given by the U.S. Clay Mathematics Institute for solving the Poincare Conjecture, which baffled mathematicians for a century. Dr Perelman posted his solution on the internet.

Four years ago, the maths genius failed to turn up to receive his prestigious Fields Medal from the International Mathematical Union for solving the problem.

Neighbour Vera Petrovna said: 'I was once in his flat and I was astounded. He only has a table, a stool and a bed with a dirty mattress which was left by previous owners - alcoholics who sold the flat to him.

here

Hey, Wizard, didn't you solve that awhile back on a Q&A? I'm sure I sent that question in to you. hah.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 26th, 2010 at 2:49:19 AM permalink
I was going to post it on the internet too, but he beat me to it. But I also would hate the publicity, the money, etc.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 26th, 2010 at 7:42:43 AM permalink
There is a movie about Josh Waitzkin called Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993) about a young genius who is struggling to stay out of the world of paranoia and delusion that many of the ultra brilliant inhabit. For authenticity the movie stars three grandmasters who were all child prodigies (from Brooklyn, Iran, and Georgia (near Russia)). I would recommend it.

• Jump to: