SmithTower
SmithTower
Joined: Jan 5, 2010
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 24
January 25th, 2010 at 5:23:48 AM permalink
What are your top five Las Vegas movies?
My list:
Casino
Ocean痴 Eleven (Rat Pack)
The Cooler
Vegas Vacation
21
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 25th, 2010 at 7:17:49 AM permalink
I liked the ep of Stargate Atlantis where a Wraith finances a covert op on Earth by playing poker. It's set in alternate universe where John Shepard is a Vegas detective.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 183
  • Posts: 10397
January 25th, 2010 at 7:42:02 AM permalink
My favorite is Rounders - although this is more of a poker movie than a Vegas movie. Heck, there's only two scenes in a casino, and those are in A.C., not Vegas.

One reason I like it, is because it has the element of realism that the other movies lack.

For example, 21: Call me crazy, but I question some of the REAL things in that movie, and accept some of the things that are admittedly fiction. To be specific, I believe that back room beatings have happened. If not to this group, than to others, but I believe it. What baffles me is, why Vegas? They were from M.I.T. right? Wouldn't A.C. have been more convenient?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 179
  • Posts: 3815
January 25th, 2010 at 7:47:58 AM permalink
Man, I have to put The Hangover in there.
NO KILL I
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12333
January 25th, 2010 at 8:58:50 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

My favorite is Rounders - although this is more of a poker movie than a Vegas movie. Heck, there's only two scenes in a casino, and those are in A.C., not Vegas.

One reason I like it, is because it has the element of realism that the other movies lack.



Rounders was great, got me interested in watching then later playing poker, though it was over several years. What makes Rounders great is that it is a poker movie withouyt trying to be a poker movie. Chris Moneymaker himself said he got into poker after watching it.

Then there was the poker boom and Hollywood says, "We need a poker movie!" So they find some crappy scripts, adapt them, then roll them out. Then everyone wonders why they fail.

I saw "21" but was very, very let down. I expected something intelligent like The History Channel show. What I got was someghing that stretched the premise of two books that already took liberties with the truth. But then I am not normal and made a buddy wait while I watched to find the casino advantage as we watched "Casino War" being dealt.........
Last edited by: AZDuffman on Jun 8, 2018
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
January 25th, 2010 at 10:10:06 AM permalink
My top "Vegas" movies, or movies that feature Vegas in some form in no particular order

The Hangover
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Leaving Las Vegas
Casino
Con Air (Tenuous but still a decent film, with terrible geography)
[This space is intentionally left blank]
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 183
  • Posts: 10397
January 25th, 2010 at 10:22:41 AM permalink
Duff, you gotta watch the tag syntax when you edit the stuff you're quoting.


Quote: AZDuffman

What makes Rounders great is that it is a poker movie without trying to be a poker movie.

Great analysis. I gotta remember that.


Quote: AZDuffman

I am not normal and made a buddy wait while I watched to find the casino advantage as we watched "Casino War" being dealt.........

While I think it's a stupid although hilarious movie, for a better sample of Casino War, watch the scene in Vegas Vacation where Chevy Chase goes into that 'different' casino. ALL the games there are stupid games, which people assume were made up for the movie. The last game is the old "Guess The Number I'm Thinking" trick. But Casino War is the first game at that casino. I'm pretty sure they played according to casino rules. And it still looked like a stupid game. Kinda tells ya something about Casino War.....
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12333
January 25th, 2010 at 10:35:52 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Duff, you gotta watch the tag syntax when you edit the stuff you're quoting.


Quote: AZDuffman

What makes Rounders great is that it is a poker movie without trying to be a poker movie.

Great analysis. I gotta remember that.


Quote: AZDuffman

I am not normal and made a buddy wait while I watched to find the casino advantage as we watched "Casino War" being dealt.........

While I think it's a stupid although hilarious movie, for a better sample of Casino War, watch the scene in Vegas Vacation where Chevy Chase goes into that 'different' casino. ALL the games there are stupid games, which people assume were made up for the movie. The last game is the old "Guess The Number I'm Thinking" trick. But Casino War is the first game at that casino. I'm pretty sure they played according to casino rules. And it still looked like a stupid game. Kinda tells ya something about Casino War.....



DJ: I know but what is it I need to do on the tag?

I saw the movie and remember that scene. I thought it was made up and would tell people who said it was real "you are confused." Then I was at Wynn a few years back and there it was--Casino War, but no one playing. Saw it in Ontario a few years later.

Yes, silly game. Kid of for people who want to play tables but are afraid of doing it wrong.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
January 25th, 2010 at 10:57:33 AM permalink
I played Casino War last time I was in Vegas. I actually quite enjoyed it, as a lone Englishman, amongst a group of people found good conversation and cameraderie. It helped I also sat down with $20 ($5 table) and walked away with $120.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 25th, 2010 at 4:10:44 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

While I think it's a stupid although hilarious movie, for a better sample of Casino War, watch the scene in Vegas Vacation where Chevy Chase goes into that 'different' casino. ALL the games there are stupid games, which people assume were made up for the movie.



I remember the scene. I thought at the time the games were children's games.

That's the thing about playing war. I played it when I was a child. It was as though grown-up card games, like poker, canasta, bridge, gin, etc were too complicated for kids, so we were taught a very simple game. I just can't take war seriously as a game adults would bet money on. You might as well play go fish for money.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

  • Jump to: