Thread Rating:

helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
February 16th, 2022 at 3:24:26 PM permalink
Before COVID hit I'd made plans to golf at Royal Links Golf Club. When I cancelled the trip I resolved to play Royal Links on my next March Break trip.

Unfortunately Royal Links Golf Club is closed as a housing developer bought the land and will be turning the land into homes.

Where should I play my round of golf in March?

I've played:

Bali Hai
Arroyo
Paiute's Wolf course

I did enjoy Paiute and Bali Hai and would go back, but I wouldn't mind hearing other options.

Shadow Creek won't be available to me since I'm not staying at an MGM property. I'm currently booked with TI. I'm not playing the Wynn's course until they give me a round as a freebie. 8-)

--helpmespock
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
February 16th, 2022 at 6:06:57 PM permalink
I enjoyed Desert Pines (another formerly owned Billy Walters course) Dont let the yardage fool you it was tight!

I've played one of the Angel Parks in 40 MPH wind and still had a great time.

I've also want to play Legacy but I understand it isnt what it was and not taken care of cannot confirm that is the case.

Royal Links was my favorite course ive ever played. A lot will disagree, but my opinion is my opinion. Went late Feb last year and the Marshall had something against us and threw us off after 6 holes.

Anyway Bears Best is another "copy cat" type course as was Royal Links

anyway I hope that helps!
helpmespock
helpmespock
February 17th, 2022 at 5:51:09 AM permalink
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up.

Bali Hai is close so it might be my default course, but we'll see.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 17th, 2022 at 6:27:46 AM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

--helpmespock
link to original post

I like Rhodes Ranch.

If you play 36, Paiute had a ‘deal’ for I think around $200 that gave you two rounds on different courses and lunch between the rounds.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 17th, 2022 at 7:24:10 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

--helpmespock
link to original post

I like Rhodes Ranch.

If you play 36, Paiute had a ‘deal’ for I think around $200 that gave you two rounds on different courses and lunch between the rounds.
link to original post

I played Rhodes Ranch and Royal Links a lot. Both nice courses but completely different. Royal Links is a links style course where most of the holes are patterned after famous holes in Europe. Deep rough and many deep bunker throughout. Rhodes is a traditional US style course that is much easier than Royal Links.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
helpmespock
helpmespock
February 17th, 2022 at 3:57:22 PM permalink
For Desert Pines, I feel like I should play Pinehurst first and then come and try out the copy-cat.

I'll have a look at Rhodes Ranch.

Thanks for the suggestion on Paiute SOOPOO, but I'll only play 18 holes. I'm sneaking off early in the morning to get in my round so that I can spend the rest of the day with my wife. It's her vacation too.

Playing 36 would likely kill me anyway. I've been to a simulator once this off-season and it was ugly. I'll have to get out a few more times especially since my club is doing a 2-man scramble at a simulator on March 2nd.

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
February 19th, 2022 at 5:35:25 AM permalink
OK. I've booked Desert Pines. Proximity was the big factor.

Rhodes Ranch and Angel Park look nice and I'll probably check them out on later trips.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

--helpmespock
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
March 27th, 2022 at 10:18:20 AM permalink

OK. I've booked Desert Pines. Proximity was the big factor.

Rhodes Ranch and Angel Park look nice and I'll probably check them out on later trips.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

--helpmespock
link to original post

Any updates?
  • Jump to: