ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
March 6th, 2019 at 4:36:49 PM permalink
If I want to take a taxi from the airport to downtown (and yes, I am well aware of the considerable number of buses that travel this route), what instructions should I give the driver? Is "surface streets" (or "no tunnel") sufficient, or should I mention a specific road (Eastern? Maryland? Paradise?)?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Boz
March 6th, 2019 at 4:43:25 PM permalink
Right now, according to google maps, it's showing the fastest route to take the tunnel to the 215 to the 15.

IMO just take an Uber. It's cheaper and the driver will probably know English. And they won't try to long haul you -- at least not on purpose.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
March 6th, 2019 at 4:53:33 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Right now, according to google maps, it's showing the fastest route to take the tunnel to the 215 to the 15.

Fastest - not the shortest by any means. I seem to recall that "it's faster" is the usual excuse used for taking the tunnel.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 6th, 2019 at 5:01:41 PM permalink
Really don’t see any advantage to using a cab in Vegas, or almost anywhere anymore. Uber and Lyft are much cheaper and even Rental car companies are feeling the pain.

http://fortune.com/2019/03/06/car-rental-rideshare-market-share/?xid=gn_editorspicks

And even a limo isn’t much more from LAS to DT than a cab if you don’t like rideshares.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
ams288
March 6th, 2019 at 5:05:05 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

If I want to take a taxi from the airport to downtown (and yes, I am well aware of the considerable number of buses that travel this route), what instructions should I give the driver? Is "surface streets" (or "no tunnel") sufficient, or should I mention a specific road (Eastern? Maryland? Paradise?)?

I suggest Tropicana to the 15 north. You have to be very clear about not taking the tunnel.

Despite that, my last taxi ride (Uber was down) the driver STILL took the tunnel. I'd like to think I'm slow to anger, but I blew up at the guy. I was already in a foul mood because my so-called friend fell asleep when he was supposed to give me a ride, and this after a 7-hour boring layover in SF after flying from Paris. Anyway, the driver was very apologetic, claiming he misunderstood me. I basically said I would pay $x, what I thought was fair, for the ride or the amount on the meter and file a complaint. He took the $x.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 6th, 2019 at 5:11:50 PM permalink

Echoing what Boz said, Uber/Lyft, since they are getting a fixed amount, have drivers that by definition want to get you there as soon as possible. You check your ap when you book it, know exactly how much you will be paying, and enjoy the ride.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 6th, 2019 at 5:58:13 PM permalink
Some people are not comfortable with ride-sharing not do they want to use the app.

On my recent trip it was easy for me to hop in a cab - the line was empty and pay an extra $6 (peak pricing with Uber). When I returned Monday night I took Uber for $12.

As for directions, you specify NO tunnel and they will take the most direct route. But I15.

If you want the ultracheap option check the WAX schedule. $2, avoid the strip and it takes the path the wizard suggests with minimal stops, and it lets you off at the Fremont experience. Problem is schedule -- it only runs every hour.

Still if you are staying south strip of you want to go downtown to South strip you can buy a residential pass for $5 and avoid the SDX delays on Las Vegas Blvd. You get dropped at the Tropicana and it takes about 20 minutes.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
March 6th, 2019 at 6:03:00 PM permalink
I've taken both main routes to downtown and never felt like the taxi cost was materially different.
RS
RS
March 6th, 2019 at 6:17:49 PM permalink

Fastest - not the shortest by any means. I seem to recall that "it's faster" is the usual excuse used for taking the tunnel.

I forgot they charge by distance. In which case, I agree with Wizard.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
March 6th, 2019 at 6:20:16 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Echoing what Boz said, Uber/Lyft, since they are getting a fixed amount, have drivers that by definition want to get you there as soon as possible. You check your ap when you book it, know exactly how much you will be paying, and enjoy the ride.

I’ve been long hauled in a Lyft twice before in Vegas. Yes, it quotes you a price when you book it, but if the driver takes a longer route (i.e. tunnel) it will still charge you more at the end.

Of course, it is much easier to file a complaint and get your money back (as I did both times) with Uber/Lyft than it is with a cabbie.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
RS
RS
March 6th, 2019 at 6:31:09 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I’ve been long hauled in a Lyft twice before in Vegas. Yes, it quotes you a price when you book it, but if the driver takes a longer route (i.e. tunnel) it will still charge you more at the end.

Of course, it is much easier to file a complaint and get your money back (as I did both times) with Uber/Lyft than it is with a cabbie.

I've never tried filing a complaint with a taxi, but I know there are signs inside saying that drivers are supposed to take the (quickest/shortest/whatever'st) route unless the passenger requests a different route, and that the drivers are not allowed to long-haul you.

My advice is to have 100 pennies in a baggie and if the taxi driver is a POS, then just dump the coins out (underneath the seat) as a tip for him.

Or just pay him what the ride should have cost and tell him to f*** himself. I'm not gonna be held hostage because some a**hole long-hauled me.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
RS
March 6th, 2019 at 6:37:41 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I've never tried filing a complaint with a taxi, but I know there are signs inside saying that drivers are supposed to take the (quickest/shortest/whatever'st) route unless the passenger requests a different route, and that the drivers are not allowed to long-haul you.

My advice is to have 100 pennies in a baggie and if the taxi driver is a POS, then just dump the coins out (underneath the seat) as a tip for him.

Or just pay him what the ride should have cost and tell him to f*** himself. I'm not gonna be held hostage because some a**hole long-hauled me.

About 5 years ago I was long hauled in Vegas. I didn't say anything until arriving at the destination. Then I told him it was his choice, either my ride was free or I will sit in your car until the Taxi Authority gets here. That will probably work almost every time. The driver doesn't want to get written up and possibly fined, and if they take that gamble it is going to cost them at least an hour of not driving and
not earning any money.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
March 6th, 2019 at 6:42:41 PM permalink

Tell them exactly what you want and if they take The Tunnel against your wishes to long haul you, file a complaint.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 6th, 2019 at 7:06:12 PM permalink
I was in a taxi twice in the last 10 years where the Taxi Authority stopped the cab as it pulled up the the Departures curb and audited us on the spot. I was asked whether I was brought by the shortest route, the fare in the box was checked against my hotel, the cabbie's medallion and ID were checked, the whole 9 yards.

Both times my ride was perfect and within expected fare and transit times. So I don't know where it goes if it didn't add up. But it's also been my consistent experience that the long-hauls have been leaving the airport, not returning. And every cab I've taken leaving the airport either did it or tried to do it, so it's a pretty common scam.

I recommend, for anyone cabbing to the Strip, that they take you via surface streets, specifically to that convenience store (on Paradise?) just north of the airport boundary so you can get water and sodas for the room. It's pretty much the quickest way to most hotels, and you'll save more in drink charges than 2 long-haul cab rides.

Downtown, surface streets to the 15 near the airport, then around to the north side of DT behind Union Plaza, and in from there.

I could be wrong.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
March 6th, 2019 at 7:35:16 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

If you want the ultracheap option check the WAX schedule. $2, avoid the strip and it takes the path the wizard suggests with minimal stops, and it lets you off at the Fremont experience. Problem is schedule -- it only runs every hour.

True, but the 108, 109, and CX buses also go from the Strip to downtown, and 109s run every 15 minutes, although I would have to transfer to a Deuce or SDX to actually get to Fremont Street.
  • Jump to: