helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
January 14th, 2016 at 6:10:09 PM permalink
OK Folks,

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations for my March Break trip to Las Vegas.

We were going to try out Tapas which was Alex Stratta's restaurant that opened after our March Break trip last year, but I understand it closed and got replaced by a lower scale place called Salt & Pepper which is US Southern comfort food. That's an odd switch from his typical restaurants, but we've enjoyed his other restaurants enough that we'll give this a try.

We didn't get to Marche Bacchus last year. We went to Raku instead. However we'll likely get there this trip.

I would like to get to a nice steak place this year. I saw earlier discussions on the board about Cut and Carnevino in the Palazzo. There is also Delmonico in the Venetian. We're staying at the Wynn so there is SW Steakhouse that has official Kobe beef. Going old school, there is Top of Binion's Steakhouse, but will parking be a problem? I usually self park wherever I'm travelling to in Las Vegas. Any other recommendations for steak?

Tacos El Gordo is open again north of the Wynncore so we'll probably grab lunch there at least once. My wife and I are completely illiterate when it comes to Spanish so we'll have to lean on the staff to help us out.

We get a free buffet at the Wynn this stay and I understand they've re-done the buffet with a new chef. I've never been very keen on the Wynn buffet, but we'll certainly give it a try mainly because it's included. Chereya warns in her Encore review that the lines can be quite long. I hope they've calmed down by the time we're there in March.

Bardot Brasserie at Aria is getting some buzz. The Smashed Pig also made a hot restaurant list and sounded interesting. Can anyone give a thumbs up or down from personal experience?

Any other restaurants I should consider? We choked down the baby squid off the tasting menu from Raku last year and we get exposed to durien when my cousins roll it out at Chinese New Year so we're pretty open when it comes to food.

--helpmespock
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 14th, 2016 at 6:59:26 PM permalink
I'm the one who raved about CUT. That was the best steak I've ever had in my life, and we've eaten some amazing steaks. (I order Snake River Farms American Kobe for my home grilling. I have steak figured out.) I'm not saying there aren't better steaks in Vegas; we haven't been to many other steakhouses there. We have been to SW, but the menu has been revamped since then; they didn't have American Kobe when we were there in 2012.

We had fantastic roasted chicken at Mon Ami Gaby, in Paris across from Bellagio. It was simple and perfect.

Avoid Gonzales y Gonzales in New York New York. It's a tortilla joint: the filling tastes the same but the shell changes. Burrito, taco, enchilada, whatever, all the same.

That deli in The Wynn is worthwhile: Zoozacrackers. I believe I read somewhere that they make their own pastrami. (Poked around the 'net, they make 700 lbs of pastrami a week.) It is really freakin' good. And Terrace Pointe Cafe has good breakfast if the buffet line is too long.
A falling knife has no handle.
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
January 14th, 2016 at 7:47:54 PM permalink
I thought Guy Fieri's place at the Linq did a really good job with creative pub food.
jessie.wilburn
jessie.wilburn
  • Threads: 3
January 15th, 2016 at 6:34:34 AM permalink
Chavo Tequila Kitchen for great tacos in the Linq Promenade

Grand Cafe in Palazzo is a hidden gem

Hexx is another favorite of mine
helpmespock
helpmespock
January 15th, 2016 at 3:34:28 PM permalink
Thanks Folks.

SW Steakhouse has official Kobe beef correct? I've only had Kobe-style beef. CUT is just next door so it'll be easy to get to as well. I'll talk it over with the Mrs. and see what we choose.

My wife had a very good roasted chicken at Marche Bacchus a couple trips ago. We'll have to try out the Mon Ami Gaby offering.

We've eaten at both Zoozacrackers and Terrace Pointe Café and enjoyed them both. My wife liked the Cobb salad at the deli and I am a sucker for pastrami/smoked meat so I'll have to check it out. We had a very simple, but very tasty breakfast last year at Terrace Pointe -- expensive for what it was though.

I have to be in the mood for Pub fare, but it the mood strikes me we'll wander by the Linq.

We bought some art at Regis Gallerie last year so we can check out the Grand Café too if we go looking for art.

--helpmespock
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 15th, 2016 at 5:02:24 PM permalink
Here's another recommendation for Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. Never had bad food there, and some is brilliant. Try the roasted Brussel sprout appetizer; it's amazing, crispy and creamy, and not cabbage-y at all.

Also Makino, off-strip at Decatur and Flamingo (NW corner, west of the strip about 1.5 miles) is the freshest, best-smelling sushi restaurant I've ever been to. Good idea, if you're willing to do an early dinner, to get there before 6pm, and very affordable for all-you-can-eat at about $30/person.

I like Ruth's Chris steakhouse, upstairs in Harrah's, especially for their sides and the view, but I don't think their beef is as high quality as CUT or SW, though it's good. Their prices are also less than either.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 15th, 2016 at 5:28:53 PM permalink
Downtown Binion's steakhouse is not what it used to be. Would recommend the Triple George across the street from Downtowwn Grand. Very unique and upscale restaurant that actually has a good value. +1 on the Cut for the strip.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 16th, 2016 at 1:14:17 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Downtown Binion's steakhouse is not what it used to be. Would recommend the Triple George across the street from Downtowwn Grand. Very unique and upscale restaurant that actually has a good value. +1 on the Cut for the strip.

I've heard great things about Triple George's in several places. On my list but haven't made it there yet.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
January 16th, 2016 at 8:48:03 AM permalink
We never miss going to Bouchon at The Venetian.

Owned by Thomas Keller, who is recognized as the greatest chef in the United States.
helpmespock
helpmespock
January 16th, 2016 at 5:12:24 PM permalink
Hmmm...looks like CUT is inching into the lead with several endorsements.

Brussel sprouts? Thanks for the recommendation, but my wife and I have never been keen on them. 8-)

--helpmespock
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 16th, 2016 at 6:08:13 PM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

Hmmm...looks like CUT is inching into the lead with several endorsements.

Brussel sprouts? Thanks for the recommendation, but my wife and I have never been keen on them. 8-)

--helpmespock

Your call, of course, but you're missing out. These have NO resemblance to Brussel sprouts as you know them. They're not quite sweet, but creamy inside, crispy outsides, I think the seasoning is sea salt and garlic, done in olive oil. I don't eat a lot of Brussel sprouts myself (or at least I didn't until I had these). Got some frozen and trying to reproduce the recipe.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
January 17th, 2016 at 5:42:20 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Your call, of course, but you're missing out. These have NO resemblance to Brussel sprouts as you know them. They're not quite sweet, but creamy inside, crispy outsides, I think the seasoning is sea salt and garlic, done in olive oil. I don't eat a lot of Brussel sprouts myself (or at least I didn't until I had these). Got some frozen and trying to reproduce the recipe.

Like this one?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 17th, 2016 at 7:42:55 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Quote: beachbumbabs

Like this one?

Very close to what I've been doing, but it looks like a couple of important differences. Will definitely try this, thanks!
  • Jump to: