Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 3rd, 2014 at 9:04:11 PM permalink
I am going to torture all of you with videos from my GoPro camera I got myself for Christmas! You thought the boring trail videos were the end of it -- but no! I'm just getting started.

Earlier today I was at Brian Head skiing and made some videos while skiing. Here is the first one of the Fremont Street route.

The ending illustrates a funny thing about human nature. The way they queue people up for the ski lift is with about six lines. The attendant goes from line to line scanning one or two people, to ensure they have a valid pass, before the skiers may proceed to the lift. Notice how when I got to the bottom at the end everybody was in the first couple lines, and the rest totally empty. So I coasted right up to one of the other ones and then was almost immediately scanned to go up again. When I worked at Knotts Berry Farm I saw this herd mentality of standing in the longest line all the time.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 3rd, 2014 at 9:33:07 PM permalink
Good quality on the video, but without sound it might
as well be an 8mm camera. At least there were real
bodies laying to the side of this trail, kudos for that.

How does a day of skiing cost a day at this place, I
bet it's not cheap.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Transcend
Transcend
  • Threads: 17
January 3rd, 2014 at 9:53:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

as well be an 8mm camera. At least there were real
bodies laying to the side of this trail, kudos for that.

bet it's not cheap.

There is sound you just have to turn the volume up but it's not really much worth listening to.

Warren Miller would be proud, especially since you didn't run over that little kid who fell pretty much as you got off the lift.

The girl in the line to the left of you was confused by you at the end...you just walked up and got right on to the lift and she looks back to see the line you were in and you could just tell she was so confused by what you just did.
Part of it went on gambling, and part of it went on women. The rest I spent foolishly. -George Raft
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2014 at 10:15:09 PM permalink
This is the highlight of the video; your shadow,
and the body on the side of the trail.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 3rd, 2014 at 10:35:34 PM permalink
God, but technology is amazing. Super bright snow glare and everything came through clear. And skiing isn't exactly the smoothest affair, but aside from some jiggles, you got no weird blur or pixelation the whole way down. Very nice =)

I'll ask a wad of questions all at once, lest you waste your 10,000th post on something dumb ;)...

You wearing a helmet? Just curious how you fixed that thing to your dome.

What model did you get? Wifey got me the Hero3, also for xmas, and I'm hoping that's the quality I can expect.

What software did you use for editing? I was looking for something I can chop and add little titles like your clip had in the beginning.

And I must assume that park offers more extreme offerings? Not busting your chops, but I don't even see hills that mild in my parts ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 4th, 2014 at 3:09:57 AM permalink

as well be an 8mm camera.

If you turn up the volume you can hear the wind whipping by.

Quote:

bet it's not cheap.

A full day is about $80. This includes the 10% "walk in" fee. I guess you get a discount if you order your pass online at least a day in advance. Ski Mount Charleston is like that too. I'll have to start doing that.

Quote: Face

God, but technology is amazing. Super bright snow glare and everything came through clear. And skiing isn't exactly the smoothest affair, but aside from some jiggles, you got no weird blur or pixelation the whole way down. Very nice =)

I agree. The original videos are much better. I crunch down the detail to make the file sizes small enough for YouTube.

Quote:

You wearing a helmet? Just curious how you fixed that thing to your dome.

That is the standard way of doing it, so of course that isn't what I do. The camera is attached to a harness that I put over my head.

Quote:

What model did you get? Wifey got me the Hero3, also for xmas, and I'm hoping that's the quality I can expect.

G-3! As mentioned above, the original files are actually much better.

Quote:

What software did you use for editing? I was looking for something I can chop and add little titles like your clip had in the beginning.

GoPro Studio 2.0. It is free from their web site.

Quote:

And I must assume that park offers more extreme offerings? Not busting your chops, but I don't even see hills that mild in my parts ;)

It's true -- I'm just an average skier, at best. There is a whole separate section for black diamond routes. I might have tried one, but it was HOT and the trails very icy.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
January 4th, 2014 at 6:49:33 AM permalink
Better a Michael Shackleford than a Michael Schumacher.

Be careful :(
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
January 4th, 2014 at 6:58:21 AM permalink
Really enjoyed the video. Low population, great for enjoying the ride. Now show us a video on a blue slope!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 4th, 2014 at 7:34:07 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Really enjoyed the video. Low population, great for enjoying the ride. Now show us a video on a blue slope!

Next time I'll try to hit some blue slopes. It has been HOT in the south-west and the slopes too icy for me to up my game yesterday.

Here is my next skiing video, the Navajo route. This was probably the easiest of the green routes and it was done shortly after opening so the snow was still soft and groomed. Sorry about the chair lift footage, but at least I sped it up and added music.

Here is a map of Brian Head, if anyone is interested.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2014 at 1:15:27 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here is my next skiing video, the Navajo route.

Is it really worth the hassle of waiting in line,
taking a long chair lift, for 2.5min of skiing?
My brother in law says not really, but every
winter there he is. I don't get it, but I don't
get most things.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 4th, 2014 at 4:45:51 PM permalink

get most things.

Totally worth it. Whether you tuck and bomb a blue or black at 40mph or just cruise and glide the lazy trails, you're doing something. It's infinitely better than what one mostly does in the winter, which is sit on the couch.

You're outside, fresh air. Much like golf, your surroundings are often nice to look at. Total good times
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 4th, 2014 at 4:54:26 PM permalink

If you turn up the volume you can hear the wind whipping by.

Yeah, that's my experience with my GoPro (mounted on the outside of my car at the track) as well. All wind noise, with some occasional tires squealing loudly enough to be heard over the wind :) I don't think there's any way around this -- the wind is just too loud.
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
January 4th, 2014 at 5:04:55 PM permalink
At giant slalom you go at 70 mph with no air bags, must take years. I wonder what the training is like? I know they grow on slopes, doubt adults can learn it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 4th, 2014 at 5:06:03 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Totally worth it. Whether you tuck and bomb a blue or black at 40mph or just cruise and glide the lazy trails, you're doing something. It's infinitely better than what one mostly does in the winter, which is sit on the couch.

I agree 100%. Same reason as someone else might spend all day to go ski diving, when the actual jump lasts only a few minutes. Golf is another good example. It takes about five hours to shoot 18 holes of golf but how much of that time is spent actually swinging at the ball?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 4th, 2014 at 5:11:58 PM permalink

get most things.

I've only been skiing a dozen times, and I would say every minute was worth it. The chair lift is fun by itself, almost everybody is up and excited about being out there, and the trip down is mostly great, even if it's more on your butt than on your skis. It took me over 2 hours to get down the "Miracle Mile" run on Mt. Hood the first time I did it, and I had a lot of fun, even though an experienced skier would have gone nuts. (I was there with a guy who pointed his skis straight down the slope on a dare and was at the bottom in less than 3 minutes.) I'm sure there are people who get tired of it, but I never have short of my legs giving out after 8 hours or so.

We always stayed at Timberline Lodge, well up the mountain, built in the 1930's by the WPA out of timbers so huge you can't reach around them. It was the lodge they filmed the movie "The Shining", if that gives you a reference point, and it's very very basic accomodations. I also went skiing on Mt. Rainier a couple of times, at the Mahre brothers/father's resort; they have wonderful chalets for rent. But Mt. Hood was more my speed, though they don't have much of a bunny slope; more like straight down everywhere.

Mount Hood as it looked from the control tower at Portland Int'l (not my pic of it). The sun always rose directly over the peak on Christmas morning.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
January 4th, 2014 at 5:12:48 PM permalink

Sorry about the chair lift footage, but at least I sped it up and added music.

I consider Benny Hill one of the greatest living Americans, but I hope you're considering other musical selections for future releases. Music can make or break a video.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 4th, 2014 at 5:17:03 PM permalink

It takes about five hours to shoot 18 holes of golf but how much of that time is spent actually swinging at the ball?

I enjoy golf for all the drinking that takes place in-between actually hitting the ball.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 4th, 2014 at 5:17:06 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
January 4th, 2014 at 5:18:40 PM permalink
Wizard, mountain climbing is next! That video camera can become handy when you reach last summit of Everest. I bet you, Even Bob will be waiting for you up there.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 4th, 2014 at 5:19:19 PM permalink
Quote: gpac1377

I consider Benny Hill one of the greatest living Americans, but I hope you're considering other musical selections for future releases. Music can make or break a video.

I thought Benny was English, and I consider myself a fan too. Yes, I'll have some other music on future videos. I already have another track for my Lone Mountain Trail video.
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
January 4th, 2014 at 5:23:20 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

If you mean the comedian, he was English.

I thought Benny was English, and I consider myself a fan too.

Apparently being a comedian is harder than it looks :(
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
January 4th, 2014 at 5:29:41 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

I enjoy golf for all the drinking that takes place in-between actually hitting the ball.

. I saw guy drinking beer while running a marathon.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2014 at 6:10:22 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

The ski lodge I totally understand, I do ski
lodges. Hemingway was a big ski fan in EU
in the 20's and when he was young. He had
wooden skis and they walked up
the mountains and skied down. It was a process,
it was the total experience.

'Hemingway was never happier than when amid nature. The author was an avid outdoorsman and an excellent skier. Hemingway, Hadley (his wife) and friends would climb on skis to the Bielerhöhe at 6,600ft and stay in the Madlener Haus, a mountain hut that is still there today. They would stay overnight at the hut before skiing down the mountain. Hemingway wrote: “But the climbing was fun and no one minded it in those days. You set a certain pace well under the speed at which you could climb and it was easy and your heart felt good and you were proud of the weight of your rucksack. Part of the climb to the Madlener Haus was steep and very tough.”

They climbed the mountain wearing their skis and
thought nothing of it. Who does that today.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 5th, 2014 at 5:32:58 AM permalink

They climbed the mountain wearing their skis and
thought nothing of it. Who does that today.

When I climbed Mount Shasta some other climbers lugged skis up, at least part of the way.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 5th, 2014 at 5:38:26 AM permalink

When I climbed Mount Shasta some other climbers lugged skis up, at least part of the way.

Om their feet? They wore them?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 8th, 2014 at 2:23:15 PM permalink
This is a Face video from a bobsled run. See
how big a part sound plays in it. Your videos
need sound and they'd be a lot better.

• Jump to: