Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 2nd, 2013 at 7:25:32 AM permalink
Given changing attitudes, and widespread acceptance and tolerance, it's very likely the renewed efforts to bring marriage equality forth in several states will succeed shortly, grandstanding bans against same-sex marriage notwithstanding.

One state that would stand to benefit more than others is Nevada, seeing as how it's already a popular destination for weddings. This mostly means Las Vegas, but also some of the other towns in the state (certainly Lake Tahoe is a lovely setting for a wedding in different seasons). As it is, nevada risks losing marriage equality tourism business to California. We can't have that, now. Can we?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 2nd, 2013 at 7:45:07 AM permalink
It will be interesting to see, over time, whether the percentage of LGBT marriages which fail and wind up as divorces approximates the percentage of "straight" marriages which fail.

At this point, gays have more obstacles to achieving a clean breakup when their ship of love hits the rocks; a new can of worms is being opened ...
"What, me worry?"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 2nd, 2013 at 8:07:31 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

It will be interesting to see, over time, whether the percentage of LGBT marriages which fail and wind up as divorces approximates the percentage of "straight" marriages which fail.

The bar is set far too low.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 2nd, 2013 at 10:29:24 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

My prediction is that it will be the same or possibly greater. The same because people are people. Possibly greater because our society/culture hasn't evolved a comprehensive set of mores for same sex unions which is likely to cause a greater instance of misunderstanding. I would expect this to abate over time and the numbers to become roughly the same.
  • Jump to: