Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 17th, 2013 at 4:02:48 PM permalink
As I've said before, I will pass on the mantle for the next WoVCon to whoever wants it. But I've learned a few things and thought I should apss them along.

First, the prupose is for WoV members to meet the Wizard, and also each other. We've been modeling this ont he early "Wizard Coffee" idea set down by the Wizard, which was to meet witht he Wizard for coffee or lunch, and then go gambling somewhere. I participated in one of these in 2010, with the Wizard and teddys at the Rampart for lunch and VP.

But when you gather a larger group, socializing after lunch, and even during lunch, is not as easy. Further, the only gambling activities that can acommodate large numbers are poker and craps. So here's a thought: let's break with tradition and do something else. For example, go to a bar for drinks after lunch, or to a different place for dessert. For example, after the Sugar Factory at Paris, we might have gone to Serendipity at Caesars for coffee or hot chocolate and dessert. Then whoever's left can go gambling.

Or as I noted after craps at MSS on Friday, a buffet can acommodate a rather large party and has a good scope for dessert (though the coffee is mediocre restaurant quality at best).

Another idea I've been mulling over is to rent a meeting room (plenty of those in Vegas) and get someone to give a talk on a gaming-related subject. This, of course, would require atendees to pay upfront. Meeting rooms cost money,a nd likely anyone willing to give a talk woudl charge a fee. But it might be worth it.

Of course this is all someone else's problem from now on :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
June 17th, 2013 at 5:00:32 PM permalink
First, let me apologize for causing the date to be moved up to Memorial Day weekend, due to my planned trip to Europe on the original date, and then not going there. I recognize that is an expensive weekend in Vegas and the traffic is awful. At the time I asked I was looking good financially and looking forward to a well-deserved European vacation. However, then I got royally f***ed in Cyprus, where I held much of my money. That necessitated an immediate belt tightening, and all thoughts of doing Europe were over after Europe did me. I especially feel badly after I caused the date to change and then I show up 90 minutes late.

Second, if nobody else steps up, I'll organize something next year in early June. Personally, I'd like to see a return to the Triple 7 Brew House at the Main Street Station. I might remind everybody that I already organize the Global Gaming meet up, which gets about the same number of people.

Third, my thanks again to Nareed for organizing this year.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 17th, 2013 at 7:32:12 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

First, let me apologize for causing the date to be moved up to Memorial Day weekend,

For my part, don't worry about it. I'd likely have traveled on that date anyway. Had I scheduled my vacation for my usual early-mid May, I'd have had to postpone it at least. So for me it worked out well.

Quote:

I especially feel badly after I caused the date to change and then I show up 90 minutes late.

Now that's a different matter. You should buy tires with better manners ;)

Quote:

Second, if nobody else steps up, I'll organize something next year in early June. Personally, I'd like to see a return to the Triple 7 Brew House at the Main Street Station.

That would suit me just fine.

Quote:

Third, my thanks again to Nareed for organizing this year.

Oh, you're welcome. Really, it was my pleasure.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: