khoyle2001
khoyle2001
  • Threads: 3
April 4th, 2012 at 9:54:25 AM permalink
Ok guys and girls, since I am just hooked on UTH!

I was wondering what money management you use to play the game.

I know that everyone has a different bank roll to start with but I thought I would see what everyone else uses for managing their money. I see all types of starter money. $10 on all three spots (trips, ante, blind) $5 on all, $5 on trips and $10 on other two!

I have the basics down and I have to admit that it scares me sometimes to play the big 4x when I should (especially if I start with $15 on each spot and have monster hand (A K and so forth) and the teachings say go the 4x and the table has been not so forgiving.
I am not a HUGE gambler and start with $300 or $400 bank roll when I go to play.

So I am looking for ideas on money management.
Thanks!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 4th, 2012 at 10:08:29 AM permalink
When I play a game like UTH (or THB or MS Stud), I usually think about the most money that I'm willing to risk on a hand. For me, that's usually around $50 - which is 1/10th of my usual buyin. Then I look at what that means in a given game. In MS Stud, that would imply something like a $10 ante, since I'd only bet 3x on a spot if I was sure I could at least push. In THB or UTH, it's harder to sort out. Sometimes I'll bet a $10 ante on UTH, knowing that I'll have to risk a total of $60 if it I want to go 4x on the play. Usually I just go $5 and play a little smaller than I'd truly be willing to. I usually avoid the trips bet, especially since the blind pays odds anyway. When I do play the trips bet, it's usually with "extra" money. Like if I have $80 and I want to get to $100, I might bet $10 on the ante ($60 total with the blind and possible 4x play) and $20 on the trips since I don't actually "need" that money to play the hand.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 4th, 2012 at 10:25:01 AM permalink
UTH is a big variance game when you can bet up to 4x on the back on the blind. So essentially, with the trips bet, you can have 6x your original bet on the board.

According to the strategy on the WOO UTH page, you do the big raise 37.7% of the time, the medium raise 21.3% of the time, a small raise 21.8% of the time, and fold the other 19.2% of the time.

Your average bet on the Ante-Blind-Play is 4.15 units. Assuming you play trips at the same unit, you have on average 5.15 units in play.

A bankroll of $300 - $400 I would suggest is way too small to be betting $15 blind. I'm thinking that a bankroll of 60 - 80x your minimum bet would be appropriate when playing trips, at least 40 - 60x your bankroll when not.

So, $300 - $400 would be good at $5 / hand if you want to last a session of say 3-4 hours with little risk of ruin. Of course, I don't know the variance of the game.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
April 4th, 2012 at 10:30:54 AM permalink
If you place an ante bet of $15 and feel nervous about backing it up with another $60 WHENEVER basic strategy says to do so, then you are playing UTH WRONG!

You must be able to put the 4x every time its called for to manage the house edge. That is how you manage you money. Think of the ante as an 'ante', it's not the same as your BJ bet. If you normally play BJ for $15 a hand, $5 a hand UTH is bigger exposure!

I also don't play trips, because (a) my paytable stinks, (b) the blind bet pays most of the same hands (and pays bigger on the rare hands).
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
PopCan
PopCan
  • Threads: 1
April 4th, 2012 at 10:32:33 AM permalink
My general rule for carnival games is I bet enough that if I were to win a high-payout hand I'd be really happy. For example, a UTH straight flush pays 50 to 1. If I bet $5 and won $250 I'd feel somewhat disappointed that I only won $250. However, I'd be really excited if I won $500 so I'd bet $10/hand. Compared to most people here I probably have a pretty low bar for excitement.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
April 4th, 2012 at 11:53:06 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

In MS Stud, that would imply something like a $10 ante, since I'd only bet 3x on a spot if I was sure I could at least push.

Then you are playing the game incorrectly, and your HE on that game will be considerably higher. Flush draws, heck even the three card Royal gets a 3x bet. If the most you want to risk each hand is $50 on MS Stud, then you need to only bet $5.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
April 4th, 2012 at 12:34:26 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

Then you are playing the game incorrectly, and your HE on that game will be considerably higher. Flush draws, heck even the three card Royal gets a 3x bet. If the most you want to risk each hand is $50 on MS Stud, then you need to only bet $5.

Tilt! These aren't rules, they're more like guidelines...:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 4th, 2012 at 2:20:44 PM permalink
For $5 UTH (no trips) I would have a bankroll of $1000-$2000. (Note: I disregard this rule frequently). Playing the Trips won't increase your variance THAT much but it will increase your expected loss. Tack on another $500. Multiply accordingly.

My money management rule: Have a lot of money.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
April 4th, 2012 at 2:39:17 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

For $5 UTH (no trips) I would have a bankroll of $1000-$2000.
My rule for money management: Have a lot of money.

Would you put it on the table, or do you differentiate between buy-in and bankroll?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 4th, 2012 at 4:38:33 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Would you put it on the table, or do you differentiate between buy-in and bankroll?

No, that would just be the bankroll to devote to UTH to allow one to "play forever" so to speak. Of course, you will eventually lose it all, but for recreational play that should last you a good long while.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4

• Jump to: