BillyJoe
BillyJoe
  • Threads: 1
January 13th, 2010 at 1:33:43 PM permalink
To the Esteemed Wizard,

My friend and I play Pai Gow Poker against each other. I always act as the banker and win copy hands but I do not charge commission. My “opponent” always bets $5 as a base wager. He also plays 3 bonus bets: the Fortune Pai Gow bonus; the Pai Gow Insurance bonus and the Jokolor bonus. Initially, my “opponent” bets $1 on each bonus, if he wins a particular bonus, he will increment his bonus bet (and only for that type of bonus) by $1. If he loses a multi-dollar bonus, then he will increment the bonus bet down by $1.

The payout tables for the bonus bets are as follows:

Fortune Pai Gow
Three Pair: No action (push)
Three of a Kind: 3 to 1
Straight: 2 to 1
Flush: 4 to 1
Full House: 5 to 1
4 of a Kind: 25 to 1
Straight Flush: 50 to 1
Royal Flush: 50 to 1
5 Aces: 50 to 1
7-Card SF with Joker: 50 to 1
Royal Flush/Match: 50 to 1
7-Card SF no Joker: 75 to 1
Maximum Payout: $225

Pai Gow Insurance
Ace High: 3 to 1
King High: 5 to 1
Queen High: 7 to 1
Jack High: 15 to 1
10 High: 25 to 1
9 High: 100 to 1
Maximum Payout: $200

Jokolor Bonus
Any Hand with Joker: 5 to 1
Seven Cards Same Color No Joker: 10 to 1
Six Cards Same Color Plus Joker: 30 to 1
Maximum Payout: $90

My friend tells me that I have 4% to 7% house edges on the various bonus bets as the banker (as long as he bets in such a way that any payout is not capped) in addition to my house edge on the base bet. However, lately I am continually losing to him over many hands. It feels as if he has the edge. Can you tell me if my friend is correct and that my house edge on the bonus bets is actually in the range of 4% to 7%.

By the way, we are both actuaries and big fans of yours.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 13th, 2010 at 7:34:32 PM permalink
If you didn't already, check the pay tables against mine at my pai gow poker side bets page. If they match, I'd predict that your friend has just been lucky.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: