Overkill
Overkill
  • Threads: 3
March 20th, 2011 at 12:34:29 PM permalink
Hello,

I respect the thoroughness of the Wizard's work. One question: In his Blackjack Appendix 9, the Expected return of game for single deck is listed as:

Following are the expected returns for each initial hands in blackjack (under certain rules):

Player may double after split: 0.001839
Player may not double after split: 0.000423

Notice there are no "-" before the above numbers. Does this mean that the player has an advantage in single-deck blackjack? What am I missing?

P.S. WHo are the attractive ladies photographed in your Appendices?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 20th, 2011 at 1:01:11 PM permalink
Yep, it's a player advantage game with correct basic strategy. Good luck finding those rules anywhere in the universe, however.

Those ladies are professional models, for the most part. The Wizard uses them for his website content, which I applaud him for.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 20th, 2011 at 1:10:12 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Yep, it's a player advantage game with correct basic strategy. Good luck finding those rules anywhere in the universe, however.

Those ladies are professional models, for the most part. The Wizard uses them for his website content, which I applaud him for.

All correct, thanks. I'm glad you appreciate the models. I'm thinking of adding some more.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
March 20th, 2011 at 1:23:44 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

All correct, thanks. I'm glad you appreciate the models. I'm thinking of adding some more.

Any chance we can vote on the next model to be featured?
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 20th, 2011 at 2:52:48 PM permalink
Quote: Overkill

Hello,

I respect the thoroughness of the Wizard's work. One question: In his Blackjack Appendix 9, the Expected return of game for single deck is listed as:

Following are the expected returns for each initial hands in blackjack (under certain rules):

Player may double after split: 0.001839
Player may not double after split: 0.000423

Notice there are no "-" before the above numbers. Does this mean that the player has an advantage in single-deck blackjack? What am I missing?

I am not sure of the history of the rules of the game. Before "Beat the Dealer" came out was doubling after splitting allowed? Were all games single deck in those days, or had multi-deck games been introduced? I know that "surrender" was first introduced in the 1950's, but I don't know how widespread it was.

And, once again we see that someone introduced a set of rules before there were computers, or even before there were adding machines. Yet under modern analysis the margin was very small. I understand that literal "blackjacks" or a black jack and a ten card were paid 10 to 1, and the modern payout of 3:2 was introduced to make the game more exciting. But without any analysis, it was a good guess that it wouldn't give advantage to the player.

==============
Meton of Athens (5th century BC) managed to figure out that 235 rotations of the moon equaled 19 solar years. A remarkable calculation if you figure the average life expectancy at the time was probably less than 19 years. Modern measurements indicate that this relationship will only lose one day in about 7000 years.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 20th, 2011 at 4:07:37 PM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

Any chance we can vote on the next model to be featured?

I'm thinking of hiring a new face. If anyone knows of a model who might be interested, let me know.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 20th, 2011 at 4:18:53 PM permalink
As long as if the model is not the Wizard of Massage's models, I approve (not that my approval matters at all).
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
March 20th, 2011 at 4:24:23 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm thinking of hiring a new face. If anyone knows of a model who might be interested, let me know.

Can you explain the process you normally do through to hire a model? I would be happy to do some 'research' on available models in your area, and then present my findings to the forum for a vote. I will take note of the 'very important thread' that was floating around some time ago.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
  • Jump to: