billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 11617
Thanks for this post from:
teliotSuited89
July 4th, 2021 at 7:29:04 AM permalink
Of the many Blackjack books I've read, I found Ian Anderson's "Turning the Tables on Las Vegas" the most entertaining. I think our own Elliot Jacobson's "Blackjack Zone" might be the best book for a beginner but Mr. Anderson's book was just a fun read.
teliot
teliot
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 2221
July 4th, 2021 at 10:29:37 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Of the many Blackjack books I've read, I found Ian Anderson's "Turning the Tables on Las Vegas" the most entertaining. I think our own Elliot Jacobson's "Blackjack Zone" might be the best book for a beginner but Mr. Anderson's book was just a fun read.

Thanks! I give the PDF away for free on my website advancedadvantageplay.com but the book is out of print.

Tommy Hyland bought several cases and would keep them in the trunk of his car for whenever someone would ask him about blackjack who was a beginner. He said he often gave them way after a round of golf.
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 11617
Thanks for this post from:
teliot
July 4th, 2021 at 10:39:40 AM permalink
Quote: teliot



Tommy Hyland bought several cases and would keep them in the trunk of his car for whenever someone would ask him about blackjack who was a beginner. He said he often gave them way after a round of golf.



Great minds think alike. How'd the book get out of print? Did you self publish?
MDawg
MDawg
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 3080
July 4th, 2021 at 11:24:46 AM permalink
The Adventures of MDawg

"Self published."

ISBN: 97803WOV***** (non fiction)


Add all those posts up and you have the equivalent of a book. Isn't that the way Fear and Loathing in LV came to be? a series of shorter pieces.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Xpatri8
Xpatri8
Joined: Jul 3, 2021
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 6
July 4th, 2021 at 11:43:22 AM permalink
Quote: docsjs

Favorite gambling movie (there are many) is "Hard Eight", with "California Split" running secnd.



Halfway through "Hard Eight" today (available free on Amazon Prime) and really enjoying it. Never saw before so many thanks for the tip.

Also have to agree: "California Split" is a classic. All-time wonderful, one of my favorites and just behind "Rounders" for A-1. Have watched it many times. Elliot Gould and George Segal are just fantastic. Not easy to find (not on Netflix) so years ago I just bought a DVD on eBay. But just checked now and it is available to rent for $2.99 on Prime Video.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 3171
July 4th, 2021 at 8:58:06 PM permalink
Has anyone read: Molly's Game: The True Story of the 26-Year-Old Woman Behind the Most Exclusive, High-Stakes Underground Poker Game in the World, 2017

Is it any good?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 261
  • Posts: 8706
July 4th, 2021 at 10:19:33 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Has anyone read: Molly's Game: The True Story of the 26-Year-Old Woman Behind the Most Exclusive, High-Stakes Underground Poker Game in the World, 2017

Is it any good?



Yes, I read it twice. When it first came out and again when the film came out.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
teliot
teliot
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 2221
July 5th, 2021 at 7:10:21 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Great minds think alike. How'd the book get out of print? Did you self publish?

My publisher got ALS and died in 2019. She tried but failed to get someone to take over her business. So all of my books were delisted when her business closed. She gave me all of the documents and I can self-publish anytime I want, I did that with Advanced Advantage Play but haven't bothered yet with the other two books.
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 11617
July 5th, 2021 at 7:59:58 AM permalink
Quote: teliot

My publisher got ALS and died in 2019. She tried but failed to get someone to take over her business. So all of my books were delisted when her business closed. She gave me all of the documents and I can self-publish anytime I want, I did that with Advanced Advantage Play but haven't bothered yet with the other two books.



Have you considered going with Anthony Curtis? The blackjack zone is too important to let languish. I think it is the perfect book to pick up at an airport prior to flying to Vegas. It's one of the few books that simply reading it will improve your game. No studying, no charts, required.
teliot
teliot
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 2221
July 5th, 2021 at 9:49:25 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Have you considered going with Anthony Curtis? The blackjack zone is too important to let languish. I think it is the perfect book to pick up at an airport prior to flying to Vegas. It's one of the few books that simply reading it will improve your game. No studying, no charts, required.

I had a contract to write a book for Anthony on baccarat when I retired. He was all aboard for me to write the definitive baccarat treatise and would certainly welcome a book from me on the topic if I ever felt like writing it (which I never will). I wrote about 100 pages of the book, some of which I published in articles on my website.

That said, I have never considered Anthony for my blackjack book. Honestly, there are way too many blackjack books and even the best publisher out there has trouble selling a single copy of most of them.
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com

  • Jump to: