ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
March 12th, 2011 at 9:52:30 AM permalink
I'm looking for an extra book or 2 to fill my cart at Amazon to get free shipping. I was purchasing the 2011 ACG for my upcoming trip to the Golden Nugget in May. I know there are scattered references to books people have read in many different threads. I couldn't find any thread that specifically asks the above question.

The only other relevant thread was the one asking "what is your favorite gambling movie?"

Fact or Fiction, what's your favorite?
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
March 12th, 2011 at 10:17:01 AM permalink
The Theory of Poker Book - David Sklansky
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
March 12th, 2011 at 10:26:31 AM permalink
I stand corrected.

After searching further, I did find this gambling-books-top-50-gambling-books-of-all-time

It mention's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson, "Gambling 102' by our own Michael Shackleford and Ben Mezric's' "Bringing Down The House" as being in the top 10.

Any others?
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1388
March 12th, 2011 at 12:54:40 PM permalink
I can't think of a single book that stands out above the rest when it comes to gambling. As you might expect, I easily find fault in gambling books, including my own. Without calling it my favorite book, I'd like to put in a good word for Dice Angel by Brian Rouff. Here is a review I wrote years ago.

Favorite movie -- I'm going to go with Rounders.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 12th, 2011 at 2:03:55 PM permalink
Recently mentioned in a Panama related thread is Fool Me Once by Rick Lax. Its not as much about gambling as about gamblers and other denizens of Vegas such as models, magicians, ... and others who all try to fool him far more than once. Its new and entertaining, but its also a very small pat of margarine spread quite thin.

Its probably out of print now, but that book Eudeamion Pie about clocking roulette wheels with a timing device was enjoyable. It was a Stanford versus MIT book too, I believe.

Beth Rayner's Lay The Favorite, now in film development, was a nice memoir of growing up in a gambling household.

I think Annie Duke or a sister wrote a book about growing up in a gambling family. A Girlhood Amongst Gamblers or something like that.

I hear one guy wrote a gambling book with strange page numbers: -1, -2, -4, -8. It was entitled Double Up To Catch Up.
docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 22
Thanks for this post from:
Suited89
March 12th, 2011 at 2:51:47 PM permalink
Favorite book (now old) is the one I started with. It is Revere's "Playing Blackjack as a Business". I learned what the game was all about. What a lack or glut of face cards and aces really mean, and how to play accordingly. The use of color charts (the first use) made learning basic strategy much easier.

Favorite gambling movie (there are many) is "Hard Eight", with "California Split" running secnd.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1388
March 12th, 2011 at 7:16:59 PM permalink
Quote: docsjs

Favorite book (now old) is the one I started with. It is Revere's "Playing Blackjack as a Business".

That book was extremely influential on my life. A counter loaned it to me before I was 21, and I devoured it. That is the book was the first I even knew there was such a thing as card counting or advantage play. However, it is very dated now.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
March 12th, 2011 at 7:34:17 PM permalink
It's not a book, but Fritz Leiber's short story "Gonna Roll the Bones" is my favorite fiction piece on gambling. Watch out for Joe Slattermill's Opponent, all you precision shooters! I liked the Craps scene from Harry Harrison's "Deathworld", also.
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
Thanks for this post from:
Suited89
March 12th, 2011 at 11:44:19 PM permalink
'American Roulette', you won't be able to put it down. Its about roulette cheaters who never got caught. 'You've Got Heat', a BJ players Vegas diary. Super read. 'Gambling Wizards', you must have this book. I've read it 10 times at least.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
March 12th, 2011 at 11:45:24 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Favorite movie -- I'm going to go with Rounders.

You just love Oreo's..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: