CuriosityDriven
CuriosityDriven
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 13, 2024
April 13th, 2024 at 12:30:25 PM permalink
Hello,

First of all, thank you so much for all of your online resources! I always recommend others to use your webpage for learning and advice.

I just recently started learning how to play video poker, and I chose to start with Jacks or Better. I have a question about the best play for 9D, 4D, JC, 10H, KS. I was tempted to hold the 9D, JC, 10H and KS. I thought that this was considered an "4 to an inside straight, 3 high cards"? However, the best play suggested to hold only the JC and the KS. Is the 10H not considered a high card in video poker?

Thank you in advance.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 1540
Joined: Jul 26, 2010
Thanked by
CuriosityDrivenWizard
April 13th, 2024 at 1:25:46 PM permalink
Quote: CuriosityDriven

Hello,

First of all, thank you so much for all of your online resources! I always recommend others to use your webpage for learning and advice.

I just recently started learning how to play video poker, and I chose to start with Jacks or Better. I have a question about the best play for 9D, 4D, JC, 10H, KS. I was tempted to hold the 9D, JC, 10H and KS. I thought that this was considered an "4 to an inside straight, 3 high cards"? However, the best play suggested to hold only the JC and the KS. Is the 10H not considered a high card in video poker?

Thank you in advance.
link to original post



Yes, tens are not considered high cards in Jacks or Better video poker. If you have a pair of high cards in Jacks or Better, your bet gets paid one for one; a pair of tens loses.
CuriosityDriven
CuriosityDriven
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 13, 2024
April 15th, 2024 at 12:01:15 PM permalink
Thank you for the response. That helps a lot.

I have another question. I was dealt 7S, AH, 9S, 5C, and 8S. I looked at the recommended strategy page and it seemed like the best play was to hold the AH only. However, the pop up screen came up and said that there was a better play; so I clicked on "Analyze". It said to hold the 7S, 9S, and 8S. I understand that those three cards could potentially make a straight flush; but isn't it technically a "Straight Flush Draw (type 3)", where there are two gaps and no high cards? If so, an Ace alone would be the better play (according to the strategy page information).

Thank you in advance for any insight.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 6249
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
Thanked by
CuriosityDriven
April 15th, 2024 at 12:17:33 PM permalink
Quote: CuriosityDriven

Thank you for the response. That helps a lot.

I have another question. I was dealt 7S, AH, 9S, 5C, and 8S. I looked at the recommended strategy page and it seemed like the best play was to hold the AH only. However, the pop up screen came up and said that there was a better play; so I clicked on "Analyze". It said to hold the 7S, 9S, and 8S. I understand that those three cards could potentially make a straight flush; but isn't it technically a "Straight Flush Draw (type 3)", where there are two gaps and no high cards? If so, an Ace alone would be the better play (according to the strategy page information).

Thank you in advance for any insight.
link to original post


I believe it's type 1
0 high cards equals 0 gaps

Straight Flush draw (type 1): Straight flush draw in which the number of high cards equals or exceeds number of gaps.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2421
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Thanked by
CuriosityDriven
April 15th, 2024 at 12:32:19 PM permalink
Quote: CuriosityDriven

I have another question. I was dealt 7S, AH, 9S, 5C, and 8S. I looked at the recommended strategy page and it seemed like the best play was to hold the AH only. However, the pop up screen came up and said that there was a better play; so I clicked on "Analyze". It said to hold the 7S, 9S, and 8S. I understand that those three cards could potentially make a straight flush; but isn't it technically a "Straight Flush Draw (type 3)", where there are two gaps and no high cards? If so, an Ace alone would be the better play (according to the strategy page information).

Thank you in advance for any insight.
link to original post

7s-8s-9s would be a Straight Flush Draw (type 1) on Wizard's 9/6 JoB strategy chart. 'Gaps' refers to the number of missing ranks between the high and low suited cards. In this case, there are no gaps in a 7-8-9 sequence. (If it were 6-8-9, it would be considered a 1-gap draw since the 7 is missing.) Since the number of high cards (0) = number of gaps (0), this would be a "Type 1" Straight Flush Draw.

Hope this helps!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1495
  • Posts: 26559
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
CuriosityDriven
April 15th, 2024 at 8:52:18 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog


Yes, tens are not considered high cards in Jacks or Better video poker. If you have a pair of high cards in Jacks or Better, your bet gets paid one for one; a pair of tens loses.
link to original post



Absolutely correct. The best play is to hold the unsuited jack and king.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1495
  • Posts: 26559
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
CuriosityDriven
April 15th, 2024 at 8:56:42 PM permalink
Quote: CuriosityDriven

Thank you for the response. That helps a lot.

I have another question. I was dealt 7S, AH, 9S, 5C, and 8S. I looked at the recommended strategy page and it seemed like the best play was to hold the AH only. However, the pop up screen came up and said that there was a better play; so I clicked on "Analyze". It said to hold the 7S, 9S, and 8S. I understand that those three cards could potentially make a straight flush; but isn't it technically a "Straight Flush Draw (type 3)", where there are two gaps and no high cards? If so, an Ace alone would be the better play (according to the strategy page information).

Thank you in advance for any insight.
link to original post



As others have said, there are no gaps and no high cards. That makes it a powerful "type 1" straight flush draw. This is much stronger than a single high card.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: