nzscion
nzscion
  • Threads: 1
December 18th, 2010 at 11:59:07 PM permalink
Hi All,

A quick questions relating to Lotteries in General:

If I play with a ticket with completely random numbers selected, and do not win, am I statistically more likely to win in the next draw of the same lottery if I use the same numbers from the first draw again, or if I use a new set of completely random numbers?

Thanks,

NZScion
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 19th, 2010 at 1:28:57 AM permalink
WHY should there be any difference?

Most such lotteries are determined by air blowers popping up numbered ping pong balls. Are you under the impression that such numbered ping pong balls will be aware of the fact they represent your "old" numbers and do not represent any new and younger numbers that you've chosen more recently? Will the balls feel depressed that you've selected them too long ago and be less enthusiastic about allowing you to win?
Martin
Martin
  • Threads: 8
December 19th, 2010 at 4:03:06 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

WHY should there be any difference?

Most such lotteries are determined by air blowers popping up numbered ping pong balls. Are you under the impression that such numbered ping pong balls will be aware of the fact they represent your "old" numbers and do not represent any new and younger numbers that you've chosen more recently? Will the balls feel depressed that you've selected them too long ago and be less enthusiastic about allowing you to win?

Hey Flea - give a guy a break -

The answer is no - just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean that it is going to happen.
nzscion
nzscion
  • Threads: 1
December 20th, 2010 at 11:22:56 AM permalink
Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the sensible reply. Confirming what I thought, and wanted to check by asking a reasonable question. :)

Thanks again,

NZScion
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
December 20th, 2010 at 12:19:18 PM permalink
In a similar vein, it doesn't make a difference whether you pick the same numbers each drawing, or use different ones for each drawing either. The guy who's been using lucky 'ol 5-8-19-40-2-7 for the past five years and the guy who has the computer pick the numbers have the same odds.

So essentially, there's no strategy to picking lottery numbers. That, and it's just friggin' boring.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 20th, 2010 at 12:44:02 PM permalink
Quote: ElectricDreams

So essentially, there's no strategy to picking lottery numbers. That, and it's just friggin' boring.

That's somewhat true. There's nothing you can do to change your odds of winning -- each number combination is equally likely -- but in a pari-mutuel game there are ways to maximize your return if you do win.

For example, start by picking numbers greater than or equal to 32. Since many people play birthdays or other date-related numbers, and all of those numbers are 31 or lower, if you win with those numbers you're more likely to split the pot with someone else. Conversely, if you pick all numbers 32 or greater, if you hit the jackpot you're more likely to win all of it.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
December 20th, 2010 at 1:04:16 PM permalink
This could seriously be a LONG thread.

Ken
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
December 20th, 2010 at 3:11:48 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

That's somewhat true. There's nothing you can do to change your odds of winning -- each number combination is equally likely -- but in a pari-mutuel game there are ways to maximize your return if you do win.

For example, start by picking numbers greater than or equal to 32. Since many people play birthdays or other date-related numbers, and all of those numbers are 31 or lower, if you win with those numbers you're more likely to split the pot with someone else. Conversely, if you pick all numbers 32 or greater, if you hit the jackpot you're more likely to win all of it.

Excellent point. Nice to see something meaningful occasionally. It might be that picking the last numbers would be the most infrequent.
focd
focd
  • Threads: 19
December 20th, 2010 at 4:10:18 PM permalink
Seriously, have you or anyone you know pick the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6? I mean the odds of winning are the same thing, but would you or anyone you know do that?
  • Jump to: