Poll

22 votes (91.66%)
2 votes (8.33%)

24 members have voted

WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
June 12th, 2020 at 7:55:49 AM permalink
I would get a very stealthy life insurance policy. Take the chance at the billion. If I die, so be it, my loved ones will live a good life. But I highly doubt I would die from the virus. Oh snap, knock on wood!!!!!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 269
June 12th, 2020 at 8:10:55 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

I would get a very stealthy life insurance policy. Take the chance at the billion. If I die, so be it, my loved ones will live a good life. But I highly doubt I would die from the virus. Oh snap, knock on wood!!!!!

Lol, you infect yourself with Covid-19.

You wind up dying.

Your loved ones go to claim the insurance.

"Sorry, but the life insurance policy does not cover suicide. Intentionally infecting onself with Covid-19 voids the policy."
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
LuckyPhow
June 12th, 2020 at 8:24:30 AM permalink
Well, I come at this in an obvious way, but one I haven't seen mentioned so far. Evolutionary biology and actuarial tables.

If I were a young man, despite the fact that I'd be less likely to die from the virus, I would NOT do it, as I'd be risking 60 years of living and accomplishments and learning and all that stuff. I'd value that 60 years.

Since I'm 62, I'd probably do it, as I'm risking 10-20 years and maybe less given that most of my dad's side of the family died of massive heart issues in their late 60's and early 70's.

So it comes down to cost/benefit. Not sure how much I'm risking with only 10 years or a bit more on the line, so I'd probably take a crack at the money. Could do a lot of good in 10 years with an extra billion. It would jumpstart all of the things I haven't been able to do in life to this point. But I wouldn't put 60 years of living on the line for crack at it. Plus, at this point, getting it once may not provide much protection, so you may get it again...and again.

Pretty simple idea. It's an evolutionary biology angle with cost/benefit.

By the way, the mortality rates for the virus aren't set in stone, which is a variable in the question. According to some analyses out of Italy, the longer the virus is embedded in a population, the lower the viral load dosages might be coming out of the infected. So with lower dosage loads, the less contagious and less lethal it may become. We'll see if that's correct in the months ahead. Keeping fingers crossed.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
June 12th, 2020 at 8:39:19 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I voted no.

It may sound unbelievable to most and I DID have to think about it.

My family is more important than the money and I can't risk my life.

It's more than death. You also risk being on a ventilator for weeks feeling like you are drowning.

There will be posters saying they will do it for a billion dollars but is there anything they won't do?

Would you agree to have your appendix removed without anesthesia for a billion dollars?

Would you agree to have your right arm amputated?

Would you agree to murder someone's family for a billion dollars?

Murder your own family?

There are things that I hope many of us would say no to a billion dollars. And yes, I know lots of people have committed murder for money. We call them criminals.

So what are you guys?

Your analogies are totally insane. The likelihood of a young healthy person having devastating effects from covid is low. The likelihood of having one arm if you amputate your arm is pretty close to 100%

I think the majority of people literally would not do any of those things you listed for a billion dollars.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 215
June 12th, 2020 at 8:44:57 AM permalink
How telling is it that only one person gave any thought to what their death might mean to their family.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
June 12th, 2020 at 8:45:15 AM permalink

Murder your own family?

Not all of them.

But a couple I would do for a lot less than a billion. For an iron-clad guarantee not to get caught, I'd pay you.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 19
DeMango
June 12th, 2020 at 8:47:53 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

A penny here, a penny there, pretty soon we are talking real money! BTW who am I paraphrasing?

Everett Dirksen.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
June 12th, 2020 at 9:10:19 AM permalink

Lol, you infect yourself with Covid-19.

You wind up dying.

Your loved ones go to claim the insurance.

"Sorry, but the life insurance policy does not cover suicide. Intentionally infecting onself with Covid-19 voids the policy."

Most life insurance does cover suicide just not in the first year of the policy.
Order from chaos
wernerw
wernerw
  • Threads: 4
June 12th, 2020 at 9:19:41 AM permalink

My family is more important than the money and I can't risk my life.

This is irrelevant in the given context. The question would be how important are you for your family?

I am 63, had a heart attack, have high blood pressure and I voted yes.

Have a look at Vegas today. How many people are taking the risk to be infected without being promised any money.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
DeMango
June 12th, 2020 at 10:26:14 AM permalink
Unjon... I think it was my post that posed this question..... my feelings are hurt...

I look at it as around 1% chance of death for me given my age (59.8) and diabetes. I take the 1% chance of death for the billion $. Not even a close decision. Of course my family would be sad if I kick the bucket, but that will happen anyway, likely within 20 years. That amount of money allows all the people I care about to be comfortable financially forever. My kids. Wife's kids. Our brothers and sisters. Even their kids.

Funny... I look at it as way MORE important for my family and my loved ones than for me personally.

• Jump to: