Poll

8 votes (36.36%)
3 votes (13.63%)
5 votes (22.72%)
3 votes (13.63%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 96
Joined: Jan 27, 2020
Thanked by
Mission146
May 28th, 2020 at 6:54:37 AM permalink
I'm in a tough predicament and I imagine others here are in a similar situation. Looking for advice, what would you guys do here?

I became a full time AP last year. I made good money but hit an ugly downswing right before the casinos closed and the roll suffered. I am part owner of a small business and I get just enough income from that to get by , but its very tight and I don't enjoy it. The last couple months have been eating into my already diminished bankroll.
I know of a casino game (in a currently open jurisdiction) worth a nearly-guaranteed several hundred dollars per hour.

I'm in my 30s, not overweight, no existing medical conditions, BUT I drink too much, smoke and eat junk. I fear my immune system isn't great thanks to my bad habits and am fearful I would have a rough time if I contracted the coronavirus. Obviously I need to work on all of this. I get nasty colds/flu/strep every single year and they kick my ass so I can only imagine what covid will do to me.

If this game lasts a month or two (i have reason to believe it will) this could be a life changing amount of money for me. Being stuck at home absolutely sucks, but being hospitalized at the hand of covid would be 100x worse.

If I go, I will wear a mask, gloves, and eye protection. I'd religiously use hand sanitizer, and stay away from other people where possible.
So, should I go play the game?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
  • Posts: 16832
Joined: May 15, 2012
Thanked by
WTflush
May 28th, 2020 at 7:28:32 AM permalink
Nobody can answer that but you.

My advice is death is inevitable, just a question of when. Would you rather die because you lived or live like youíre dying?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
May 28th, 2020 at 8:03:23 AM permalink
Note that I am not an AP, but for me, the type of game may be a factor in whether I would play or not. I would be more inclined to risk it if it were a machine play where I could be relatively isolated from others. I may be more wary if it were a table game where I would be in close proximity to people and constantly touching chips and/or cards.

That said, Mission spoke the truth:
Quote: Mission146

Nobody can answer that but you.

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
WTflush
May 28th, 2020 at 8:32:46 AM permalink
Just keep in mind that you risk potentially infecting everyone you will come in contact with for two weeks after each casino trip. Some people will care about things like that, others don't give a hoot about anything or anyone.
Personally, I'd be more concerned about getting my business back on solid footing, and building up a rainy day fund so you don't need to hit your bankroll next time business tanks.
While this has been hard on everyone, those of us who went into it with two or three months of expenses set aside have done much better than the people who count on next week's paycheck to pay last week's expenses.
I'd like to think people will learn from this and be better prepared but I'm afraid people will continue to chase the next shiny object and think putting everything on a plastic card is a good way to budget your money.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14163
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
rdw4potus
May 28th, 2020 at 8:46:26 AM permalink
If you are going to wear gloves and a mask at a table you are not ready to go out of the house.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11153
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
Thanked by
WTflush
May 28th, 2020 at 9:41:44 AM permalink
Quote: WTflush

I'm in a tough predicament and I imagine others here are in a similar situation. Looking for advice, what would you guys do here?

I became a full time AP last year. I made good money but hit an ugly downswing right before the casinos closed and the roll suffered. I am part owner of a small business and I get just enough income from that to get by , but its very tight and I don't enjoy it. The last couple months have been eating into my already diminished bankroll.
I know of a casino game (in a currently open jurisdiction) worth a nearly-guaranteed several hundred dollars per hour.

I'm in my 30s, not overweight, no existing medical conditions, BUT I drink too much, smoke and eat junk. I fear my immune system isn't great thanks to my bad habits and am fearful I would have a rough time if I contracted the coronavirus. Obviously I need to work on all of this. I get nasty colds/flu/strep every single year and they kick my ass so I can only imagine what covid will do to me.

If this game lasts a month or two (i have reason to believe it will) this could be a life changing amount of money for me. Being stuck at home absolutely sucks, but being hospitalized at the hand of covid would be 100x worse.

If I go, I will wear a mask, gloves, and eye protection. I'd religiously use hand sanitizer, and stay away from other people where possible.
So, should I go play the game?



GREAT POST/QUESTION! As others have said, you have to answer this for yourself. If it was worth $1 an hour you would answer no without blinking an eye. If it was $10,000 an hour you would answer yes without blinking an eye.

Best I can tell, because I am not you, but I think for $200 an hour I would go take advantage, of course using whatever safety/social distancing techniques necessary to minimize the risk. I'm guessing you go! Good luck in whatever decision you make.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
Thanked by
Mission146
May 28th, 2020 at 12:23:12 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146



My advice is death is inevitable, just a question of when. Would you rather die because you lived or live like youíre dying?



I try to live everyday like that.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
May 28th, 2020 at 1:16:03 PM permalink
Quote: WTflush

I know of a casino game (in a currently open jurisdiction) worth a nearly-guaranteed several hundred dollars per hour.
...
If this game lasts a month or two (i have reason to believe it will) this could be a life changing amount of money for me.



I would be playing as much as possible using whatever safety precautions doctors and nurses on coronavirus wings are using. I would even keep playing if I had symptoms. I'm sure some people might think that's horrible, but I would think most people would do the same when presented with an opportunity for $250,000.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 963
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
May 28th, 2020 at 1:47:04 PM permalink
What is the game?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6402
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
May 28th, 2020 at 1:48:25 PM permalink
I'm never stepping foot in a casino ever again
Will never play live poker again
Here in Tampa, casino is open and they are playing poker
I have absolutely no interest
Back when I played poker, hated short handed tables
Now all are short handed. That changes the game.

Playing a ton of golf these days
If I go back to Vegas, it only be for food and golf. That's it
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
May 28th, 2020 at 2:08:39 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'm never stepping foot in a casino ever again
Will never play live poker again
Here in Tampa, casino is open and they are playing poker
I have absolutely no interest
Back when I played poker, hated short handed tables
Now all are short handed. That changes the game.

Playing a ton of golf these days
If I go back to Vegas, it only be for food and golf. That's it



Sounds like you adapted and overcame quite easily. Congratulations. It's a shame more people couldn't do that.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 4986
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
May 28th, 2020 at 3:43:12 PM permalink
If I can make $8K per trip, in a week I can win enough to pay a $40K COVID-19 hospital bill.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2113
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
May 28th, 2020 at 3:51:30 PM permalink
For an easy quarter million $$$ Iíd say do it.

Sanitize your machineís buttons. Wear a mask and gloves.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6402
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
May 28th, 2020 at 4:30:12 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Sounds like you adapted and overcame quite easily. Congratulations. It's a shame more people couldn't do that.


I was never really into gambling
A low roller when I did gamble just for fun
In reality, if you are a logical person, you are constantly comparing the house edge vs fun
That's the cost of fun
but
There is a house edge so odds are you are gonna lose more then win, how fun is that?
Not very
Gambling was easy for me to give up.
Last trip to Vegas, Xmas, I just ate and saw shows then got on my way for the Dead and Company Fall fun run, 2 shows at the forum and 2 shows at the new Chase center
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3819
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
Thanked by
rawtuff
May 28th, 2020 at 4:47:30 PM permalink
Quote: WTflush

I'm in a tough predicament and I imagine others here are in a similar situation. Looking for advice, what would you guys do here?

I became a full time AP last year. I made good money but hit an ugly downswing right before the casinos closed and the roll suffered. I am part owner of a small business and I get just enough income from that to get by , but its very tight and I don't enjoy it. The last couple months have been eating into my already diminished bankroll.
I know of a casino game (in a currently open jurisdiction) worth a nearly-guaranteed several hundred dollars per hour.

I'm in my 30s, not overweight, no existing medical conditions, BUT I drink too much, smoke and eat junk. I fear my immune system isn't great thanks to my bad habits and am fearful I would have a rough time if I contracted the coronavirus. Obviously I need to work on all of this. I get nasty colds/flu/strep every single year and they kick my ass so I can only imagine what covid will do to me.

If this game lasts a month or two (i have reason to believe it will) this could be a life changing amount of money for me. Being stuck at home absolutely sucks, but being hospitalized at the hand of covid would be 100x worse.

If I go, I will wear a mask, gloves, and eye protection. I'd religiously use hand sanitizer, and stay away from other people where possible.
So, should I go play the game?



You are making a mistake not putting your time into your business. It will end up costing you the business. If you have time to gamble, you have time to do marketing, be there more to make positive changes, work instead of pay somebody and many more things. Nobody cares about your business as much as you. If you don't care about it, get rid of it before your emoyees do it for you.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
May 28th, 2020 at 5:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I was never really into gambling
A low roller when I did gamble just for fun
In reality, if you are a logical person, you are constantly comparing the house edge vs fun
That's the cost of fun
but
There is a house edge so odds are you are gonna lose more then win, how fun is that?
Not very
Gambling was easy for me to give up.
Last trip to Vegas, Xmas, I just ate and saw shows then got on my way for the Dead and Company Fall fun run, 2 shows at the forum and 2 shows at the new Chase center



I rarely gamble anymore without an advantage. Gambling just isn't fun anymore, it is all just math.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12413
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
May 28th, 2020 at 5:42:08 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

If I can make $8K per trip, in a week I can win enough to pay a $40K COVID-19 hospital bill.



That made me laugh.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
May 28th, 2020 at 6:15:46 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

You are making a mistake not putting your time into your business. It will end up costing you the business. If you have time to gamble, you have time to do marketing, be there more to make positive changes, work instead of pay somebody and many more things. Nobody cares about your business as much as you. If you don't care about it, get rid of it before your emoyees do it for you.


ZCore13

How the hell do you know he's making a mistake?

Did you miss the key factor?....... "I don't enjoy it." probably much more important to enjoy what you're doing(assuming that won't leave you on the street)
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3819
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
May 28th, 2020 at 6:32:43 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

How the hell do you know he's making a mistake?

Did you miss the key factor?....... "I don't enjoy it." probably much more important to enjoy what you're doing(assuming that won't leave you on the street)



Did you miss the part where I said get rid of the business before its too late? In small business, many, many times employees will run the business poorly and hurt or kill it.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 96
Joined: Jan 27, 2020
May 28th, 2020 at 7:03:42 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

If I can make $8K per trip, in a week I can win enough to pay a $40K COVID-19 hospital bill.


This is a good point. It would suck to go win a bunch of money only to use it for hospital bills. Or worse, lose and then end up in a hospital too.

Quote: michael99000

For an easy quarter million $$$ Iíd say do it.

Sanitize your machineís buttons. Wear a mask and gloves.



I think a quarter mil is out of the question, $50-100k seems possible depending on how tolerant the casino is. I could get the boot on day one if I win too much (but I doubt that would happen).

Quote: AxelWolf

How the hell do you know he's making a mistake?

Did you miss the key factor?....... "I don't enjoy it." probably much more important to enjoy what you're doing(assuming that won't leave you on the street)



You nailed it. I don't enjoy it, but that income isn't going anywhere and I'm not going to find myself on the street.
Just curious have you gone back to casinos yet?

Quote: SOOPOO

GREAT POST/QUESTION! As others have said, you have to answer this for yourself. If it was worth $1 an hour you would answer no without blinking an eye. If it was $10,000 an hour you would answer yes without blinking an eye.

Best I can tell, because I am not you, but I think for $200 an hour I would go take advantage, of course using whatever safety/social distancing techniques necessary to minimize the risk. I'm guessing you go! Good luck in whatever decision you make.



That's a great way to look at it. For $10k/hr. or even $1k/hr. I would certainly go.
At $300 or something per hour the money would be nice, but I'm leaning toward staying home. There will be other AP opportunities


Quote: Vegasrider

What is the game?


Head up high stakes Parcheesi.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Thanked by
WTflushMarcusclark66
May 28th, 2020 at 7:23:34 PM permalink
Quote: WTflush

This is a good point. It would suck to go win a bunch of money only to use it for hospital bills. Or worse, lose and then end up in a hospital too.



I think a quarter mil is out of the question, $50-100k seems possible depending on how tolerant the casino is. I could get the boot on day one if I win too much (but I doubt that would happen).



You nailed it. I don't enjoy it, but that income isn't going anywhere and I'm not going to find myself on the street.
Just curious have you gone back to casinos yet?



That's a great way to look at it. For $10k/hr. or even $1k/hr. I would certainly go.
At $300 or something per hour the money would be nice, but I'm leaning toward staying home. There will be other AP opportunities



Head up high stakes Parcheesi.

I haven't went back to any casinos yet, however, that has nothing to do with my concerns about the virus. If a really good play I was interested in came up tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate. In my opinion, unless me and my wife are both willing to just stay at home and not go anywhere, there's a chance we will get it eventually. We just have to be a little more cautious than normal.

For me, I enjoy being at home, so it doesn't bother me, I'm not chomping at the bit to get out there(I will when something comes up that I pretty much have to do). I know there's guys out there that have more than enough money to where they would never have to work again, and yet, they're going nuts at home and they want to get out because they love being in casinos doing their thing.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
May 28th, 2020 at 7:34:46 PM permalink
I'd be really surprised if any estimate based on information pre March is still valid now.
I am a robot.
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 96
Joined: Jan 27, 2020
May 28th, 2020 at 8:16:36 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I'd be really surprised if any estimate based on information pre March is still valid now.



What was this in reference to?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
May 28th, 2020 at 10:17:56 PM permalink
Quote: WTflush

What was this in reference to?

The next few months in a casino will completely pale compared to your last months. Risks went up and benefits went down.
I am a robot.
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 96
Joined: Jan 27, 2020
May 30th, 2020 at 3:28:46 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

The next few months in a casino will completely pale compared to your last months. Risks went up and benefits went down.



I'm not so sure about that. The game I'm talking about is for sure up and running and beatable, or at least it was last week. I've also gotten offers from a few casinos that are potentially profitable.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11153
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
Thanked by
WTflush
May 30th, 2020 at 4:45:34 AM permalink
Quote: WTflush

I'm not so sure about that. The game I'm talking about is for sure up and running and beatable, or at least it was last week. I've also gotten offers from a few casinos that are potentially profitable.



One thing that I have learned from the school of AxelWolf, is that when one opportunity dries up, another one flourishes. You just need to know where to look, and HOW to look.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3360
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
May 30th, 2020 at 3:26:26 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Just keep in mind that you risk potentially infecting everyone you will come in contact with for two weeks after each casino trip. Some people will care about things like that, others don't give a hoot about anything or anyone.....

I disagree. There are very few that actually care. And that often is a symptom of a mental illness itself.
But I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, indeed no, there's nothing wrong with caring about yourself, or helping others principally because it directly or indirectly benefits us.
The reason we put a buck in the red kettle isn't because of who gets soup on the other end. The reason people give/care, is because it makes them feel better.
We are not as far from being in the canopy as we like to think.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3360
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
May 30th, 2020 at 3:31:14 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

For an easy quarter million $$$ Iíd say do it.

Sanitize your machineís buttons. Wear a mask and gloves.

What do gloves do? They seem like it makes a person have to perform more movements to the point of hand washing? And it's been shown that this virus lives well on smooth surfaces. Hand sanitizer on a bare hand appears to me to protect better, just asking? You pretty much need to stick a finger under the glove to take it off, and that spot on the glove first removed could easily [or not easily] place the virus hypothetically inside the glove, laying in wait.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 338
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
May 30th, 2020 at 4:18:32 PM permalink
I think this pandemic has taught us 2 things. The first
is the value of human life and we should protect it above financial cost. Thatís a good thing. The second is the notion that we canít do anything because we might get sick, hurt, itís dangerous etc. This can lead down a slippery slope.

We are all human. Weíre all going to die someday. But we shouldnít live our lives in fear of all the potential downside of doing something. That doesnít mean we should be careless. The past couple of months society has changed permanently many things we do on a daily basis. Driving is still the most dangerous thing you will ever do. But you canít live your life saying Iím not going to drive anywhere because I might get into an accident.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
May 30th, 2020 at 4:50:48 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

I think this pandemic has taught us 2 things. The first
is the value of human life and we should protect it above financial cost. Thatís a good thing. The second is the notion that we canít do anything because we might get sick, hurt, itís dangerous etc. This can lead down a slippery slope.

We are all human. Weíre all going to die someday. But we shouldnít live our lives in fear of all the potential downside of doing something. That doesnít mean we should be careless. The past couple of months society has changed permanently many things we do on a daily basis. Driving is still the most dangerous thing you will ever do. But you canít live your life saying Iím not going to drive anywhere because I might get into an accident.



One can reduce the risk by using some common sense. Someone might need to work, but one doesn't need to go to a bar or casino.
If you went into a movie and a person was coughing and hacking, you wouldn't sit next to them, but every person in the theatre can be just as contagious.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
May 30th, 2020 at 7:36:48 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

I think this pandemic has taught us 2 things. The first
is the value of human life and we should protect it above financial cost. Thatís a good thing. The second is the notion that we canít do anything because we might get sick, hurt, itís dangerous etc. This can lead down a slippery slope.



I disagree. I think human life is much less valuable now. It just showed me that 100,000 Americans can die and I still don't care.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
rawtuff
May 30th, 2020 at 9:00:16 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I disagree. I think human life is much less valuable now. It just showed me that 100,000 Americans can die and I still don't care.



I must say I am surprised so many people agree with you.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 4986
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
May 30th, 2020 at 11:27:02 PM permalink
Saw on TV there's riots in Las Vegas. I think next week is gonna be cancelled, for everything.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
May 30th, 2020 at 11:49:00 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Saw on TV there's riots in Las Vegas. I think next week is gonna be cancelled, for everything.



As I watched the nights events in all major cities, on the news, I was thinking the same thing. The Las Vegas "protest" appeared to be pretty tame compared to other cities, at least during the time I watched. There was a pretty good standoff between protesters and police right the The El Cortez door at the corner 6th and Fremont, but I didn't see any violence, arrests or damage like other cities.

I am hoping things begin to settle down. As someone who makes a living at the casinos, I am ready to get back to it.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5063
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
Thanked by
WTflush
May 30th, 2020 at 11:49:47 PM permalink
Iím not sure what I would do if I lived in a problem area but the place I live in has only had 292 cases and 7 deaths for a population of a million. The casinos are opening most likely on June 21 and I will be there that day, Iím losing $3200 a week in EV during the shutdown so the second they let me back in Iím going to go back to doing what I do. Thatís me though, Iím in good health other than being overweight and Iím just shy of 29 years old.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
May 31st, 2020 at 12:08:44 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Iím not sure what I would do if I lived in a problem area but the place I live in has only had 292 cases and 7 deaths for a population of a million. The casinos are opening most likely on June 21 and I will be there that day, Iím losing $3200 a week in EV during the shutdown so the second they let me back in Iím going to go back to doing what I do. Thatís me though, Iím in good health other than being overweight and Iím just shy of 29 years old.



Poker Grinder, I'll thank you for the "welcome back" here rather than the other thread because I have a couple comments.

First, you make $3200 a week in EV? I am jealous.

Second, not to worry you, but being overweight is one of the conditions that can lead to people getting sicker than others. However, most of those studied were older, overweight people, and they tend to have all sorts of related problems like diabetes and related lung and heart issues, so it may not be that being overweight that is the problem.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
May 31st, 2020 at 12:29:28 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

As I watched the nights events in all major cities, on the news, I was thinking the same thing. The Las Vegas "protest" appeared to be pretty tame compared to other cities, at least during the time I watched. There was a pretty good standoff between protesters and police right the The El Cortez door at the corner 6th and Fremont, but I didn't see any violence, arrests or damage like other cities.

I am hoping things begin to settle down. As someone who makes a living at the casinos, I am ready to get back to it.

They started looting a pawn store.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 1125
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
May 31st, 2020 at 12:31:54 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

They started looting a pawn store.



Unfortunately, as long as it didn't go down in flames, that would be pretty tame, compared to some of the other cities.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
May 31st, 2020 at 12:37:19 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

They started looting a pawn store.



I did not see that and am sorry to hear that. I really hope this shit starts to calm down.

I lived in Philly for 8 years at 16th and Walnut and that area was totally destroyed tonight. Rittenhouse square are for anyone familiar. Many stores looted. And that is a pretty nice area of the city. Was hard to watch.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
May 31st, 2020 at 12:42:07 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I did not see that and am sorry to hear that. I really hope this shit starts to calm down.

I lived in Philly for 8 years at 16th and Walnut and that area was totally destroyed tonight. Rittenhouse square are for anyone familiar. Many stores looted. And that is a pretty nice area of the city. Was hard to watch.

From what I can see on the video it was all African American people with whatever was going down at the pawn shop. However ,there were some Good Samaritans that were asking them to stop, so it seemed to settle down fairly quickly. I swear I saw some very young children running out of the pawn store.

Somebody took a hammer to the courthouse windows as well.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5063
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
May 31st, 2020 at 12:43:44 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Poker Grinder, I'll thank you for the "welcome back" here rather than the other thread because I have a couple comments.

First, you make $3200 a week in EV? I am jealous.

Second, not to worry you, but being overweight is one of the conditions that can lead to people getting sicker than others. However, most of those studied were older, overweight people, and they tend to have all sorts of related problems like diabetes and related lung and heart issues, so it may not be that being overweight that is the problem.


Machines>BJ lol

Like I said if I lived in a city heavily affected by corona I might think differently but my city is almost completely clear of it. No hospitalized cases, no new cases in a week and only 10 active cases (obv known about, canít say for undocumented cases)

I feel very comfortable going back to the casino in our current conditions.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
Thanked by
WTflush
May 31st, 2020 at 12:56:07 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Machines>BJ lol

Like I said if I lived in a city heavily affected by corona I might think differently but my city is almost completely clear of it. No hospitalized cases, no new cases in a week and only 10 active cases (obv known about, canít say for undocumented cases)

I feel very comfortable going back to the casino in our current conditions.



I don't know where you live, but casinos opening just has to lead to increases in cases. We have had good numbers here in Nevada too, and opening casinos has to lead to an increase among customers and workers. I hope they have figured that in and don't end up shutting down 3 weeks later again.

I stopped going to the casinos just about a week before they closed here. I have had 2 heart surgeries and while I am currently very healthy, that is the kind of thing that puts you at greater risk, weaker immune system and all.

I got sick anyway and was sick most of April. I have since recovered, had the antibody test and even donated antibodies, so I am now hoping and expecting some immunity at least for a while. If I didn't already have the virus, I wouldn't be so anxious to rush back. I didn't want to get it or anything, but now I am thinking maybe that is the best things that could have happened. ??
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 96
Joined: Jan 27, 2020
May 31st, 2020 at 2:07:57 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I don't know where you live, but casinos opening just has to lead to increases in cases. We have had good numbers here in Nevada too, and opening casinos has to lead to an increase among customers and workers. I hope they have figured that in and don't end up shutting down 3 weeks later again.

I stopped going to the casinos just about a week before they closed here. I have had 2 heart surgeries and while I am currently very healthy, that is the kind of thing that puts you at greater risk, weaker immune system and all.

I got sick anyway and was sick most of April. I have since recovered, had the antibody test and even donated antibodies, so I am now hoping and expecting some immunity at least for a while. If I didn't already have the virus, I wouldn't be so anxious to rush back. I didn't want to get it or anything, but now I am thinking maybe that is the best things that could have happened. ??



Looking at data from the areas that have reopened casinos in South Dakota, Washington, Arizona, California, and Oklahoma I'm not seeing a noticeable uptick in cases after reopening. I agree it has to lead to SOME increase in cases but it doesn't look like casinos are causing big outbreaks (not an expert on this, just my observation). Perhaps the social distancing, masks and other safety precautions are working? At this point I feel more comfortable going to a casino that a bar or restaurant.


I think I'm going to go check it out in the next day or 2.
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
  • Posts: 208
Joined: Oct 11, 2010
May 31st, 2020 at 3:36:49 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I try to live everyday like that.



Great responses.

I was a bit surprised when talking to a friend who I haven't talked to since before shutdown. He's 36 and was scared to death he was going to die. He certainly could have, and he was very much afraid. He hoarded toilet paper and food and went into full lock down. I think he's the 1st person that really told me what his thoughts and actions were. I am quite the opposite, and doing just fine. Of course I was always into social distancing and a hand washer before it became cool. I was just surprised a the fear my friend felt at his age. If he was in his 70's and/or with a preexisting condition it might have been more understandable.

Anyhow, I am from New York (upstate) and plan to visit Vegas late June. Be safe!!!
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5063
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
May 31st, 2020 at 8:43:30 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I don't know where you live, but casinos opening just has to lead to increases in cases. We have had good numbers here in Nevada too, and opening casinos has to lead to an increase among customers and workers. I hope they have figured that in and don't end up shutting down 3 weeks later again.

I stopped going to the casinos just about a week before they closed here. I have had 2 heart surgeries and while I am currently very healthy, that is the kind of thing that puts you at greater risk, weaker immune system and all.

I got sick anyway and was sick most of April. I have since recovered, had the antibody test and even donated antibodies, so I am now hoping and expecting some immunity at least for a while. If I didn't already have the virus, I wouldn't be so anxious to rush back. I didn't want to get it or anything, but now I am thinking maybe that is the best things that could have happened. ??


We have had 292 cases in TOTAL during this whole thing which is why Iím not worried at all. Thatís a slow afternoon in a lot of cities.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
Thanked by
WTflush
May 31st, 2020 at 9:09:27 AM permalink
Some of the casinos here in Vegas like Stations casinos, El Cortez and other downtown casinos are opening 12:01 am Thursday. Others not until 8 am or 10 am. So my only question was did I want to head out late Wednesday night or wait until Thursday morning. With these nighttime protests going on, I will probably wait until Thursday during the daytime.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3670
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
Thanked by
WTflush
May 31st, 2020 at 9:12:42 AM permalink
As far as overweight being a high risk of a severe case, I was (continuing to due to top much sitting around eating during lockdown) to gain too much weight and was starting to get a bit concerned about that, looked on the BMI chart, I was getting toward the far end of overweight about just under where ďobeseĒ starts, should really work on losing 30 lbs.

Anyway, looking at the chart, Obese is listed at 30 BMI, overweight 25-29.9. There was a CDC warning that at the risk of more severe cases starting at over 40!!!!!! BMI. Thatís not simply ďoverweight,Ē or even obese, thatís approaching we wonít perform elective surgeries on you due to risk of complications beyond out of control problem overweight.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
  • Posts: 427
Joined: Aug 12, 2018
May 31st, 2020 at 10:06:43 AM permalink
I'm in no hurry to go back. Even under the best of circumstances The Strip and Freemont Street are Petri dishes. I just don't feel like being at a crap table that's restricted to two people per side, a BJ table that accommodates 3 people, etc.

I'm sure that in due time it will be back to normal. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying out Circa when it opens.
The best things in life are not free.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29023
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
May 31st, 2020 at 12:05:25 PM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

Great responses.

I was a bit surprised when talking to a friend who I haven't talked to since before shutdown. He's 36 and was scared to death he was going to die. He certainly could have, and he was very much afraid.



I had a friend like that who
was terrified of death in his
20's and 30's and took pain
killers to dull his feelings.
He ended up dying at 42
from all the bad habits he
took up to ease the thought
of dying. Ironic to say the
least.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 96
Joined: Jan 27, 2020
May 31st, 2020 at 7:56:02 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Some of the casinos here in Vegas like Stations casinos, El Cortez and other downtown casinos are opening 12:01 am Thursday. Others not until 8 am or 10 am. So my only question was did I want to head out late Wednesday night or wait until Thursday morning. With these nighttime protests going on, I will probably wait until Thursday during the daytime.


+1 on waiting till daytime if there are still protests going on. I wonder if people are allowed to book a room for wednesday night so they can start gambling right at midnight .

Sorry if you've already been asked 300 times or answered this in another thread, but do you know where/how you got the virus?

Quote: Lovecomps

I'm in no hurry to go back. Even under the best of circumstances The Strip and Freemont Street are Petri dishes. I just don't feel like being at a crap table that's restricted to two people per side, a BJ table that accommodates 3 people, etc.

I'm sure that in due time it will be back to normal. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying out Circa when it opens.



Also looking forward to checking out Circa! It seems most other casinos throughout the country are taking more precautions than any vegas casinos will be, so I'll likely avoid vegas for a while too.



I saw guidance from the CDC suggesting it takes approximately 15 minutes of close contact with a contagious person to contract the virus. If that's true, I have zero fear of returning to a casino as long as everyone is wearing masks.
  • Jump to: