SonnyTheMoney
SonnyTheMoney
  • Threads: 1
April 28th, 2020 at 4:34:54 AM permalink
I have a question about an online situation with blackjack that I could not find an exact answer to here. I will be honest and say I did not search with a fine tooth comb, nor am I even sure of the parameters for the search question tbh.

So here is the situation. With an online Blackjack site, you get 2 cards and the dealer takes only 1. The dealer takes his card when you are done with your hand, or does not take a card if you bust.

This interesting situation also has what I perceive as a potential benefit, as the rules state. In a situation where the dealer is showing A (Ace) if you split, double etc, and the dealer gets BLACKJACK, all bets other than the original wagers are RETURNED. So if I had any pairs of tens, wouldn't I be better to split them? If I make new hands and the dealer has BJ, I get my additional bets returned. And splitting T's could yield some hands of 20. So unless the dealer DRAWS to a 21 (non Blackjack) I should be good?

Am I thinking this through correctly? If there is a page that deals with this I would love a link so I can read it.

Here are the rules from the site

Play Classic Blackjack
Widely regarded as the most popular form of Blackjack in the world, Classic Blackjack is just one of a number of Blackjack variations available at our tables. Join the action on Single Player and Multi-Player tables now!

Game Rules
In Classic Blackjack eight 52-card decks are used. The decks are shuffled together before every hand is dealt, and the dealer does not receive a hole card. Dealers must hit on all totals of 16 or under as well as on soft 17 (a hand containing an ace that totals either seven or 17), and should you hit Blackjack you will be paid at 3:2 odds.

If the player’s hand loses to Blackjack, then only the mandatory initial bet is forfeited and all other optional bets that have not bust (splits and doubles) will be pushed and returned.

Player Betting Options
A minimum bet applies on Classic Blackjack tables, but more betting options become available as hands progress. Players can double down on any two-card hand, meaning you can double your initial bet, so long as you are committed to ‘standing’ after being dealt one additional card.

Player can also split two cards if they are paired or of equal value. So if you are dealt nine-nine, king-queen, seven-seven or jack-ten you can create two hands for an additional wager of the same amount. Here are some additional rules on splitting:

Players can split three times for a total of four hands, except when dealt a pair of aces
Aces may be split only once, after which players will receive only one card for each split hand
Players can double down on any hand, including after a non-ace split
Insurance and Surrender
When playing at Classic Blackjack tables, players cannot ‘surrender’. However, if you think the dealer is about to hit Blackjack, you can also buy ‘insurance’. This means should the dealer hit Blackjack, you’ll be paid 2:1 on your insurance bet.

The theoretical return to player (RTP) for Classic Blackjack is 99.41%. For more on how to play the game, visit our Blackjack Rules page.

If you have any questions about Classic Blackjack, contact Support.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
April 28th, 2020 at 4:50:28 AM permalink
That means it basically works like 'normal' BJ as it works in the US, as opposed to ENHC BJ. No real difference to their rules other than the minute value of potentially more cards before the dealer gets their second card, whereas ENHC does.

Edit: See below... missed the part about hands that haven't bust yet. What I get for posting while suffering from insomnia...
Last edited by: Venthus on Apr 28, 2020
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
April 28th, 2020 at 7:48:44 AM permalink
It sounds closer to Australian BB+1.

OBO : The US rules say you get all bets, including bust hands, except your "Original Bet Only" if the Dealer gets BJ - typically your bust hands are left on the table until the Dealer acts.
ENHC : The UK (European) rules say you lose all bets if the Dealer gets BJ.
BB+1 : The Australian rules (sometimes) say you lose any hands that bust and then only one bet. It's sometimes know as BB+1 - see https://wizardofodds.com/games/australian-blackjack/
OBBO : Another Australian rule where you lose any hands that bust and then one bet per hand left (i.e. you lose splits but not doubles).
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
April 28th, 2020 at 8:58:59 AM permalink
SonnyTheMoney,

To answer your question: no, you should not split 10's vs. an Ace.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
ssho88
ssho88
  • Threads: 54
April 28th, 2020 at 10:13:21 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

It sounds closer to Australian BB+1.

OBO : The US rules say you get all bets, including bust hands, except your "Original Bet Only" if the Dealer gets BJ - typically your bust hands are left on the table until the Dealer acts.
ENHC : The UK (European) rules say you lose all bets if the Dealer gets BJ.
BB+1 : The Australian rules (sometimes) say you lose any hands that bust and then only one bet. It's sometimes know as BB+1 - see https://wizardofodds.com/games/australian-blackjack/
OBBO : Another Australian rule where you lose any hands that bust and then one bet per hand left (i.e. you lose splits but not doubles).

Then OBO should be equal to PEEK rule in term of EV ? However OBO may use more cards than PEEK rule and therefore less round per shoe.
  • Jump to: