Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
March 21st, 2018 at 9:31:57 PM permalink
So I came across a place recently that had superficially identical slot machines but gave wildly different amounts of points which I can only attribute to different payback settings, error, or apathy. (Depending on the exact machine, it ranges from .1% to 10%.)

It leads me to wonder exactly how the math breaks down if you take two machines that function identically, set to different paybacks, but compensate the lower payback with enough cash back to make them equitable, in terms of percentage. My gut says that the lower percentage with cashback would experience lower variance since you're guaranteed a fixed portion back unrelated to getting a win, but I have no idea if that's accurate.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
March 22nd, 2018 at 6:44:30 AM permalink
This type of question should have had a response by now. Really surprised you haven't gotten a response yet. I feel that you are accurate in your assumption that lower percentage with cash back is lower variance. That smells like roses to me, not fish. :) In other words, that checks out with me. :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 22nd, 2018 at 6:52:19 AM permalink
Quote: Venthus

So I came across a place recently that had superficially identical slot machines but gave wildly different amounts of points which I can only attribute to different payback settings, error, or apathy. (Depending on the exact machine, it ranges from .1% to 10%.)

It leads me to wonder exactly how the math breaks down if you take two machines that function identically, set to different paybacks, but compensate the lower payback with enough cash back to make them equitable, in terms of percentage. My gut says that the lower percentage with cashback would experience lower variance since you're guaranteed a fixed portion back unrelated to getting a win, but I have no idea if that's accurate.

It depends on how the points are awarded. If you have two machine where one is set at 90% and the other is set at 95% the first machine would have to give 5% more of coin in for the points for the two machines to be equal. In that scenario, you are right, the 90% machine would offer lower variance.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: