JustALuck
JustALuck
  • Threads: 9
October 3rd, 2015 at 1:26:45 PM permalink
Hello Everyone!

I read a couple of beginner's poker books and I wonder what poker format do you pick for AP:

1. Online vs Live
2. LHE vs NLHE
3. Cash vs Tournament

Thanks & Good Luck!
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
October 3rd, 2015 at 4:25:05 PM permalink
Live NLHE cash. Tournament and cash are 2 separate animals. Tournament AP is highly limited in its viability. However, it may be the only area a particular. person can gain an edge. Moreso applies to NLHE.
Canyonero
Canyonero
  • Threads: 40
October 3rd, 2015 at 5:15:43 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Live NLHE cash.

Second that.

Online poker is all about tracking software and player databases. Without it, you're toast. Live poker you can start gutting fish from day 1.

No Limit = higher win rates (but also, higher variance / volatility)

Outside the high roller stuff, tournaments have a 20% - 30% vig, which imho can't be beat. (And yet, a percentage of tournament players will claim they can - some can't count, some mistake luck for skill, and some have a misconception about the "long run" in tournament play.)
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
October 3rd, 2015 at 5:50:10 PM permalink
I am not a AP, nor have I ever played poker, but for poker to be AP won't you need to KNOW that you are the best (or at least top 3) poker player in the pond you are fishing in and won't playing in the NLHE be a very expensive learning area for a rookie to find out exactly how good they are.
tongni
tongni
  • Threads: 1
October 3rd, 2015 at 6:13:08 PM permalink
i would practice playing microstakes NL online and try to win money playing live NL/live tournaments. i think a winrate of 20/hr is very easily attainable by a 1/3 NL player and 50 by a strong 2/5 NL player. the level of competition in general is very low until you get to the 5/10 NL+ range. unfortunately, in nearly every major market there are people playing 5/10 and occasionally 2/5 NL that regularly played 25/50 to 50/100 NL+ online (and won) so the competition can be very stiff. the quick deflation of the poker economy has left a lot of really strong players forced to play for relatively tiny stakes compared to their experience/competence level.
JustALuck
JustALuck
  • Threads: 9
October 4th, 2015 at 12:05:08 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Live NLHE cash

Quote: Canyonero

Second that

Alright, I'll focus on Live NLHE cash then!

@zoobrew, I plan to study many books and practice many hours with video games (I know they say their AI sucks) then like tongni mentioned practice playing uNL before start playing small stakes. I guess that is the cheapest way to learn?

@tongni, my area offers a lot of live cash tables even there are many limit tables as well...however, I have no idea how the competition is here...I'll keep that in mind and start smallest stake to see how well I play against the opponents by keeping track of my results with spreadsheet.
  • Jump to: