neophytest
neophytest
  • Threads: 2
April 23rd, 2013 at 11:15:26 AM permalink
Sir, how do you do? It's been a long time since I asked you my first question. :-) I hope everything is fine with you.

I've been keep on studying Blackjack and I noticed something a bit odd. This happened while I was using the software from Qfit.

When I applied the exception '16 vs 10 Stay with 3 or more cards', MOST of the times, the software reports of my expected loss of $0.00; HOWEVER, when it was the combination of 3 + 3 + 10, it reported me $0.17 loss when I chose to stay. Would you mind answering this question for me? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with people like me.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
April 23rd, 2013 at 2:57:08 PM permalink
Quote: neophytest

Sir, how do you do? It's been a long time since I asked you my first question. :-) I hope everything is fine with you.

I've been keep on studying Blackjack and I noticed something a bit odd. This happened while I was using the software from Qfit.

When I applied the exception '16 vs 10 Stay with 3 or more cards', MOST of the times, the software reports of my expected loss of $0.00; HOWEVER, when it was the combination of 3 + 3 + 10, it reported me $0.17 loss when I chose to stay. Would you mind answering this question for me? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with people like me.

I believe the 3 card exception rule only works when you have a 4 or a 5 in your hand.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
neophytest
neophytest
April 24th, 2013 at 1:52:31 AM permalink
Well, if so, then how come the Wizard of Odds says to stay on H16 ALWAYS after having 3 or more cards?

I know I am being extremely picky here; however, I would like to know the finest Basic Strategy, trying to be a perfectionist. So please pardon me in advance.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 24th, 2013 at 4:02:40 PM permalink

Well, if so, then how come the Wizard of Odds says to stay on H16 ALWAYS after having 3 or more cards?

I know I am being extremely picky here; however, I would like to know the finest Basic Strategy, trying to be a perfectionist. So please pardon me in advance.

I assume because the Wiz is being a little less nitpicky with this situation than you are. :)

And he has it buried in one of his multiple appendices:
https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/3b/

And if you want to nitpick even more, you should focus on counting and stand on positive counts and hit on negative counts. :)
neophytest
neophytest
April 25th, 2013 at 3:23:49 AM permalink
Indeed, you've given me a good smile. I've got to give you a credit for it, first and foremost. Thank you.

I also thank you for kindly providing me a link; though, I have read that post before. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with 4 decks. Thus, I had to consider it unnecessary for me. My expected losses, however, occurred with 4 decks (I should have mentioned it earlier, I do apologize). The Qfit still reports the expected losses sometimes with the Wiz's Basic Strategy Exception Rule 'Hard 16 vs 10 Stay with 3 or more cards'.

So, would it be a right thing to do to ignore the Qfit's results and keep on practicing the Basic Strategy the way the Wiz tells me to do? Or, is there a little bit more tweak I could learn to improve my basic strategy skill?

Also, I am working on the Halves. :) Thank you for the advice.
neophytest
neophytest
April 28th, 2013 at 2:46:59 AM permalink
Since no one else is answering this question, I've made my decision to fully believe in and stick with the Wiz's advice and ignore the 17 or 9 cents' error coming from Qfit's Software.

Thank you all the members who paid attention to my question. :)
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
April 28th, 2013 at 4:29:22 AM permalink

A basic strategy perfectionist is still a losing player. That 17 cents is the least of your worries. If you learn to count you can decide these hands based on the count. Sometimes you may hit and sometimes you may stay.

To your original question, all combinations of 3 card 16s are not the same.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
  • Jump to: