mrclean
mrclean
  • Threads: 8
October 10th, 2012 at 8:06:54 AM permalink
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but darned if I can find it - but which of the above provides better odds for the player?

I've used the calculator on Wizard of Odds for this question and here are the results:

So using basic strategy with the selected parameters vs baac with the selected choices - which is better for the player?

Thanks
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 10th, 2012 at 8:13:12 AM permalink
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, are you asking if .010579 is greater than .0044686?
It is. The blackjack has the lower edge.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 10th, 2012 at 8:13:40 AM permalink
.0044686<.010579, so blackjack is better for the player on a per-hand basis. Which is better on a per-hour basis would depend on game speed, but I'd be very surprised if blackjack were dealt twice as fast as mini bacc. So I suspect that BJ is slightly better for the player.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 10th, 2012 at 8:40:13 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

So I suspect that BJ is slightly better for the player.

You are quite correct as far as it starting out that way. As time, free cocktails and fatique sets in... the data changes a bit. As these influencers exert their effects the accuracy of basic strategy suffers. The BJ dealer may turn out to be exceptionally fast, the player may start to slack off a bit in his rapt attention to the game. Whereas in Baccarat, its so easy to just keep betting Banker no matter how drunk or tired a player may get.
WongBo
WongBo
October 10th, 2012 at 8:45:46 AM permalink
As far as straight betting on banker, I do not know anyone who plays this method.
I can see why so many people here think baccarat is a crashing bore,
If they were to play by that recommended method...
Unless you were also counting side bets, of course,
Which for me is the only reason to play minibac.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 10th, 2012 at 9:01:19 AM permalink
>As far as straight betting on banker, I do not know anyone who plays this method.
... I am often referred to as "Mr. Banker" for my resolute determination to bet on the most likely result no matter how the shoe is running.

>Unless you were also counting side bets, of course, which for me is the only reason to play minibac.
Do you mean the Tie bets? I rarely bet Tie at minibacc.
mrclean
mrclean
October 10th, 2012 at 9:01:34 AM permalink
Thanks. I guess I'm confused as to which numbers in the baac table correspond with the 'Realistic Result' in the blackjack table.

I was thinking (incorrectly I guess) that the Banker Bet Return value (under Banker) was the one to compare to the blackjack value.

So I was comparing .4468 vs .4356 which had me thinking, why bother with basic strategy at all if baac has almost the same edge with just blinding betting the banker.
WongBo
WongBo
October 10th, 2012 at 9:02:18 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Do you mean the Tie bets? I rarely bet Tie at minibacc.

I meant dragon seven and panda eight.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 10th, 2012 at 9:06:22 AM permalink
Quote: mrclean

Thanks. I guess I'm confused as to which numbers in the baac table correspond with the 'Realistic Result' in the blackjack table.

I was thinking (incorrectly I guess) that the Banker Bet Return value (under Banker) was the one to compare to the blackjack value.

So I was comparing .4468 vs .4356 which had me thinking, why bother with basic strategy at all if baac has almost the same edge with just blinding betting the banker.

Ah! yes, that is a bit confusing. And it'd be a close call if that were the case. But those numbers correlate to a .4468% house edge in BJ, and a .4356 (43.56%) weighted average return on a banker win (after commission) in bacc.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 10th, 2012 at 9:07:56 AM permalink
Quote: mrclean

I see your confusion: the BJ numbers are stated as percentages while the bacc numbers aren't. BJ edge is 0.4468%, bacc edge is 1.058%. In the bacc table, look at the bottom row, not just the return contribution from winning.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
mrclean
mrclean
October 10th, 2012 at 9:12:42 AM permalink
A thousand thanks for everyone's help.
  • Jump to: