pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 9th, 2012 at 6:55:48 AM permalink
Pink Slime, or boneless lean beef trimmings that are put into a centrifuge, mixed with ammonia to kill bacteria. At least 70% of ground beef contains some of this pink slime, and 7 million pounds were bought for school lunches.

Some beef products today are composed of 25% byproducts that would not be considered beef in the 19th century.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 9th, 2012 at 7:09:32 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Some beef products today are composed of 25% byproducts that would not be considered beef in the 19th century.

That's ok. They wouldn't be considered Soylent Green in whatever Century the movie takes place in, either. ;)

As for ground beef, I preffer to buy a cut of meat of my choice and have the butcher grind it then. Many supermarket meat sections will do this on request.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 9th, 2012 at 7:15:30 AM permalink
Well, Paco. Its up to you and Aunt Dotty! No one but the two of you can do it.

Dig through our major changes in our diets and prove all these changes are the root cause of the massive increases in chronic diseases that trouble us.

Arthritis, gout, diabetes, obesity, cancer, dandruff ... show us a graph where Pink Slime starts and so does a tendency to play slot machines.

One study already showed an 80 percent decline in conjugated linelolic acid consumption in one generation. Can you provide one of your famous charts that might show us the effect of the End of the Free Lunch on the Rise of Juvenile Delinquency?
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 9th, 2012 at 9:04:35 AM permalink
I'm pretty sure that Canadian beef has this outlawed. Apparantly, the pink slime has been in use since 2004. Ug.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 9th, 2012 at 11:02:35 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I'm pretty sure that Canadian beef has this outlawed. Apparantly, the pink slime has been in use since 2004. Ug.

Is this a different "pink slime" than the one used to make McDonald's Chicken McNuggets?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
March 9th, 2012 at 11:09:55 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Is this a different "pink slime" than the one used to make McDonald's Chicken McNuggets?

Duh! Ground chicken is yellow. ;)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 9th, 2012 at 12:48:52 PM permalink
Yum, pink goo....

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 9th, 2012 at 3:36:41 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Duh! Ground chicken is yellow. ;)

Perhaps "Ground chicken" is yellow, but these bird parts may never have touched Terra Firma...

Check out the article from the Huffington Post
Nareed
Nareed
March 9th, 2012 at 4:16:49 PM permalink

Perhaps "Ground chicken" is yellow, but these bird parts may never have touched Terra Firma...

That color's just wrong for any meat. it looks like bubble-gum pink.

Anwyay, I work in the food industry and I should be able to look this up. We deal with relatively high quality products (I do at any rate). Chicken breast meat is yellow. Thigh and leg meat is between yellowish and light pink. Chicken liver and gizzards are dark red. Now, if they're running the bones through a sieve, they're getting bone marrow along with the meat. Marrow is edible, and in fact beef marrow is used in some dishes.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 9th, 2012 at 8:20:52 PM permalink
Mexicans angered by spread of genetically modified corn

When I was in Oaxaca this story which had been circulating for several years was a big deal. Some scientists were trying to get some pure corn to do some experiments, and they found GM corn growing in the fields in Oaxaca. It looks as if some local farmer planted kernels of corn intended for consumption, and were mixing GM corn into the crop. It was (and still is as far as I know) illegal to grow GM corn in Mexico.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 9th, 2012 at 9:23:41 PM permalink

If you haven't seen the Jamie Oliver video where he introduced mechanically-separated chicken to kids (I won't spoil the ending) -- it's a real eye-opener. I never really thought about what "mechanically-separated" might mean before I saw this, but it's revolting. I shudder to think that I may ever have eaten that.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 10th, 2012 at 11:27:13 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

If you haven't seen the Jamie Oliver video where he introduced mechanically-separated chicken to kids (I won't spoil the ending) -- it's a real eye-opener. I never really thought about what "mechanically-separated" might mean before I saw this, but it's revolting. I shudder to think that I may ever have eaten that.

According to the Huffington Post article referenced above, the Jamie Oliver demonstration actually wasn't effective in changing the kid's behavior since they all still wanted to eat the "nuggets" once they were fried.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 10th, 2012 at 12:15:57 PM permalink

According to the Huffington Post article referenced above, the Jamie Oliver demonstration actually wasn't effective in changing the kid's behavior since they all still wanted to eat the "nuggets" once they were fried.

That doesn't really surprise me. The lure of processed food is very addictive. Jaimie probably realizes that about 90% of his work is to gross out the parents, and get them to enforce more stringent rules.

Time and time again we see that it takes a heart attack to change people's behavior, and by then it is often too late.
  • Jump to: