7 votes (6.73%)
12 votes (11.53%)
4 votes (3.84%)

104 members have voted

charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
April 7th, 2012 at 3:48:27 PM permalink
Sorry I should explain the basic game. You are given £1M (in bundles of £25k) and have to get through 8 questions. You spread all your money across one or more answers, but have to leave one empty. At each stage the question comes up with 4 (in later stages 3 or 2) answers.
Any money on wrong answers "drop" (hence the "Million Pound Drop") and the money remaining on the correct answer is used on the next question. This process continues until on the last question, usually obscure (e.g. which was longer Titanic or QE2) where you have to put all your money on one of the two answers thus leaving the other blank.
The third picture shows that the entire £1M was "dropped" as they placed it all on the wrong answer - so they've lost the lot and are now out the game.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 7th, 2012 at 5:48:07 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

The third picture shows that the entire £1M was "dropped" as they placed it all on the wrong answer - so they've lost the lot and are now out the game.

I was curious which answer they lost on. I suppose many American do not know if there is a £100 banknote.

They did a variation of the game in for USA television. Prize was reduced from £1M to $1M and the bundles were increased from 40 to 50 and questions were reduced from 8 to 7. So the USA game is considerably easier. They also took out the LIVE, as they are generally wary of live TV in America without professional actors. They are terrified of someone saying 'crikey' or 'bollux' or of the action moving too slowly.

As a fan of British game show, it is unfortunate that America has to dumb them down considerably, and concentrate more on people looking foolish.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 7th, 2012 at 7:12:59 PM permalink
The 2011 annual reports were released this week. The table shows the value of the currency issued by the wealthy countries that are not part of the big currencies of the US dollar, the Euro, and the Japanese Yen.

Denmark, the UK, and Sweden are part of the European Union, but their enthusiasm for adopting the Euro has never been very strong, and is probably growing weaker by the year. They issue relatively small amounts of currency per person, compared to EMU, USA, and Japan, and try to do much of their economy via electronic payments.

Per person in US$ country Over US $50 Largest Banknote in US$
$782 New Zealand 34% $79.57
$1,037 Iceland 0% $39.52
$1,302 United Kingdom. 19% $79.37
$1,669 Sweden 83% $148.82
$1,814 Norway 72% $174.02
$1,853 Canada 49% $100.00
$1,971 Denmark 72% $176.63
$2,391 Australia 41% $100.00

Many people pointed out that the big difference in Europe would be the lifting of trade barriers, the fixed rate of exchange between currencies, the free flow of people, capital and goods. But the main argument was that you had to exchange the national banknotes and coins for the universal banknotes so that everyone would be reminded every day that they were operating in a common market. Also the difficulty of comparing prices in different countries would become easier with the same money.

But, possibly that is not the only solution. Some of the Nordic countries, UK, and Canada (possibly NZ and Australia) could unite and form a Monetary Union. They would benefit by having a single currency to price oil, as a reserve currency, and as a reduction in the overhead costs of currency exchange. But instead of going to a completely unform set of banknotes, they could just eliminate their high value banknotes, and go to electronic currency for large value banknotes. Then there would be a conversion on paper, but the individual currencies would be fixed the umbrella currency.

What do you think?
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
April 7th, 2012 at 7:18:27 PM permalink
In the US we desperately need to revive $500 note. Right now it's a pain in the ass to travel with large sums of cash without standing out, and without looking like you have a tumor.

Debit Cards and Credit Cards are now beginning to charge excessive fees for transactions, and merchants cringe at the fees that they are being charged.

Dealing in cash is cheaper for both merchants and shoppers alike. Some stores are now even offering cash discounts in order to bypass the merchant fees that are charged by the credit card companies.

-Keyser
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 7th, 2012 at 9:48:56 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

In the US we desperately need to revive $500 note. Right now it's a pain in the ass to travel with large sums of cash without standing out, and without looking like you have a tumor. Debit Cards and Credit Cards are now beginning to charge excessive fees for transactions, and merchants cringe at the fees that they are being charged.

I'm actually surprised that there is so little discussion of this subject on the internet. A google search finds many references to the old $500 banknote from 1928. Since only 420,000 were printed (of which about 289,000 are still in circulation) this series of banknotes is really the smallest of technical footnotes in the world of finance.

Many people are surprised that the number of $100 banknotes in circulation equaled the number of $20 banknotes in the year 2008, and has now surpassed the twenty dollar bill by at least 10%.

The idea of a "cashless" society gets a lot of attention, but the idea that we may have outgrown our current denominations gets almost no discussion.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
April 7th, 2012 at 10:22:46 PM permalink
Just a few years ago, I would have said that cash was on it's way out. However, these days I see a trend back to cash. Card fees, a lack of confidence and trust in financial institutions, identity theft, and the economy have driven people back towards cash.

Just a few years ago, convenience stores where I live would bark about being handed a $100 bill. These days, it's no big deal. Just about everyone is ready with change, except for some Subway restaurants.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 7th, 2012 at 11:30:13 PM permalink

Just a few years ago, I would have said that cash was on it's way out. However, these days I see a trend back to cash. Card fees, a lack of confidence and trust in financial institutions, identity theft, and the economy have driven people back towards cash.

I think what is necessary is what Canada is doing with MintChip - The Evolution of Currency. The government is intervening to try and make electronic transactions cheaper. Private banks are only interested in convenience if it comes with profit.

However, half the value of the banknotes in Canada are still the $100 bill. It's more like 75% of the banknotes for the USA, but that figure is skewed because so many US$100 bill circulate overseas.

But overall, I agree that people will view the elimination of all currency with great alarm. In reality you will just create a market for other solid instruments of value including foreign currencies. The government will lose a significant source of revenue, and the economy will be depressed by difficulties in making simple transactions.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 7th, 2012 at 11:44:29 PM permalink
People are less and less dependent on credit
cards. I see far more people going in and
paying cash for gas than I did 3 years ago.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 8th, 2012 at 1:01:01 AM permalink

Just a few years ago, convenience stores where I live would bark about being handed a $100 bill. These days, it's no big deal. Just about everyone is ready with change, except for some Subway restaurants.

Oh, I quite recall the drama caused by paying for any purchase under $50 with a note bearing the likeness of Benjamin Franklin. Even on purchases over $50, it was often easier to use $20s.

In Mexico the largest banknote currently is 1,000 pesos, or around US $75-80 depending on the exchange rate. They don't circulate much, and many businesses won't take them at all because they say they don't have change. Recently I tried to pay an 850 peso bill at a restaurant with a 1,000 note, and was told "We can't make change for that."

You can guess what followed: a fruitless discussion that two 500 peso notes required the same change. Funny how they did have change for that...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 8th, 2012 at 1:21:07 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

People are less and less dependent on credit cards. I see far more people going in and paying cash for gas than I did 3 years ago.

It's funny, because you see commercials like VISA digital wallet that promises a brave new world of electronic payments.

At the same time some of the problems seem almost ancient.

The widespread use of ATM's mean that many people do not ever go to a bank teller. As a result they never deposit small banknotes, and the ones that exist are not replaced as often. As a result, they often get torn and dirty. In the USA, we are circulating 7.5 $5 banknotes, and 5.5 $10 banknotes per person.

The UK is the opposite, as they are circulating 10 £10 notes, and 4 £5 notes per person. The £5 in circulation were frequently torn and dirty. I suspect they circulate fewer £5 notes because they have many convenient £1 and £2 coins .

Logically, if you think about this situation, you might say let's get rid of the £5 note, and mint more £2 coins. That would solve the problem of the dirty banknote. If there are only 4 per capita in circulation, you think people would hardly miss them.

The Bank of England did just the opposite. They decided that poor people in particular were very dependent on the £5 note to help them budget. The bank started a program to clean up some of the old £5 notes in circulation, and they persuaded the banks to set aside special ATM's (cash point in Britain), to dispense brand new £5 notes.

So while the media talks about electronic wallets, the Bank is trying to get more small banknotes in circulation to help the poor.

Incidentally, my father admitted that he has never used an ATM at the age of 75.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 8th, 2012 at 9:51:24 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In Mexico the largest banknote currently is 1,000 pesos, or around US $75-80 depending on the exchange rate. They don't circulate much, and many businesses won't take them at all because they say they don't have change. Recently I tried to pay an 850 peso bill at a restaurant with a 1,000 note, and was told "We can't make change for that."

You can guess what followed: a fruitless discussion that two 500 peso notes required the same change. Funny how they did have change for that...

According to the Bank of Mexico they are now circulating 6300 pesos per capita (including coins). Over half of the value iis in the 500 note, and 10% is in the 1000 peso note.

While the restaurant cannot use the 1000 peso note for change, they are also very unlikely to use the 500 peso note for change. Either way, they have to deposit it into the bank at the end of the day. I assume the real reason is that they are concerned about counterfeits.

Bank of Mexico security features video makes it look like they are keeping paper for the larger bills. But I am wondering if they are going to follow Canada's lead and convert all banknotes to polymer.
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 9:06:02 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Bank of Mexico security features video makes it look like they are keeping paper for the larger bills. But I am wondering if they are going to follow Canada's lead and convert all banknotes to polymer.

I don't think so. They issued a polymer 100 note to commemorate the Centennial of the Revolution in 2010, but the definitive replacement for the old 100 peso note was paper. The 200 note commemorating the Bicentennial of Mexican Independence, also in 2010, was printed on paper.

That leaves only the 20 and 50 notes in polymer for the time being. BTW I've no data on how long they last, but my experience is that they tear more often than apper. Seriously, not a week goes by that I don't have to mend a 50 note or two with tape. And it's a rare month when I don't have to exchange a 50 note with a missing piece at the bank.

That in itself doens't bother me. But you should see how many Mexicans wont' take a bill that's torn or has a tiny piece missing.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 9th, 2012 at 9:58:37 AM permalink

I don't think so. They issued a polymer 100 note to commemorate the Centennial of the Revolution in 2010, but the definitive replacement for the old 100 peso note was paper. The 200 note commemorating the Bicentennial of Mexican Independence, also in 2010, was printed on paper.

That leaves only the 20 and 50 notes in polymer for the time being. BTW I've no data on how long they last, but my experience is that they tear more often than apper. Seriously, not a week goes by that I don't have to mend a 50 note or two with tape. And it's a rare month when I don't have to exchange a 50 note with a missing piece at the bank.

That in itself doens't bother me. But you should see how many Mexicans wont' take a bill that's torn or has a tiny piece missing.

I don't think it's the polymer, per se. It's just that the Bank of Mexico is not issuing enough notes and is not replacing them fast enough.

Distribution in Mexico is
2.8 notes per capita for 20 peso
3.3 notes per capita for 50 peso
4.0 notes per capita for 100 peso

Distribution in USA is
2.9 notes per capita for $2 bill
7.6 notes per capita for $5 bill
5.4 notes per capita for $10 bill

Small notes are difficult to replace as people don't turn them in very often. They tend to use them for change.
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 10:42:33 AM permalink

I don't think it's the polymer, per se. It's just that the Bank of Mexico is not issuing enough notes and is not replacing them fast enough.

I think it's the polymer, but for some reason in the 50 note only. Torn 20s are less common, and I never saw a torn 100.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 9th, 2012 at 10:58:59 AM permalink

Distribution in USA is
2.9 notes per capita for $2 bill
7.6 notes per capita for $5 bill
5.4 notes per capita for $10 bill

Waaaaait a second. There are 1 billion $2 bills hanging out somewhere? The $2 bill is 40% as distributed as the $5 bill?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 9th, 2012 at 2:04:43 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Waaaaait a second. There are 1 billion $2 bills hanging out somewhere? The $2 bill is 40% as distributed as the $5 bill?

This is how the BEP makes a profit. People buy the $2 bill in sheets of 32 notes. There are almost a billion notes sitting in people's collections because people think they are valuable. What else can you make for a few pennies and then sell for $2.

But the main way is distributing billions of $100 banknotes overseas. Talk about profit! I'm not kidding when I say it is our most valuable export. I was always told it was our airplaines, but we makes more money on $100 banknotes then we make selling airplanes.
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 2:38:08 PM permalink

This is how the BEP makes a profit. People buy the $2 bill in sheets of 32 notes. There are almost a billion notes sitting in people's collections because people think they are valuable. What else can you make for a few pennies and then sell for $2.

I really thought no new $2 notes were being printed anymore. I have an old one, I think, stashed away somwhere.

BTW The other day I found three old pristine peso notes from the 80s and 70s somewhere in a drawer. 100, 50 and 10. Amazing how easy they would be to counterfeit these days.

Quote:

But the main way is distributing billions of $100 banknotes overseas. Talk about profit! I'm not kidding when I say it is our most valuable export. I was always told it was our airplaines, but we makes more money on $100 banknotes then we make selling airplanes.

So a $500 note should net 5 times the profit! ;)
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 9th, 2012 at 3:37:03 PM permalink

Way to keep the thread on topic :)
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 6:00:31 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Way to keep the thread on topic :)

Thanks for noticing <bow>
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 9th, 2012 at 6:56:24 PM permalink

Absolutely. It would be very profitable because every despot and drug smuggler would want one. The EU argues that it is much cheaper for them to €500 and €200 banknotes then lots of €100 banknotes like the United States. There is no denying the profit.

Switzerland doesn't even seem concerned about this idea of a cashless society. They have the equivalent of over US $51.5 billion in currency circulating for 7.6 million people. Compare that to Mexico's $56.5 billion in circulating currency for a country of 115 million. The largest coin is worth more than US$5, and the smallest banknote is worth more than $10. The largest banknote is worth about $1100. You can put the equivalent of a million dollars in a tiny diplomatic pouch (as it would weight 2 pounds).

A Swiss Franc is worth more than 1 dollar.

Over half the value of the circulating currency in Switzerland is in the 1000 Franc note, a whopping US$4000 per capita in this note alone. The Swiss seems to think that its citizens have the right to privacy and to keep part of their savings in banknotes. There does not seem to be a concern about this large banknote lubricating illegal activity.
Nareed
Nareed
April 9th, 2012 at 7:47:01 PM permalink

Absolutely.

And I thought I was joking.

Well, not 5 times the profit, then...

Quote:

Switzerland doesn't even seem concerned about this idea of a cashless society. They have the equivalent of over US $51.5 billion in currency circulating for 7.6 million people. Compare that to Mexico's $56.5 billion in circulating currency for a country of 115 million.

1) The Swiss Franc is a hard and stable currency. The Mexican Peso might be considered hard, but not stable.
2) Swiss banks are legendary for a reason.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 9th, 2012 at 10:27:00 PM permalink

And I thought I was joking.

1) The Swiss Franc is a hard and stable currency. The Mexican Peso might be considered hard, but not stable.
2) Swiss banks are legendary for a reason.

Well Mexico has a GDP (not PPP) of US$1 trillion, while Switzerland has a GDP of US$0.5 trillion. So $50 billion is 5% of Mexico's GDP, while it is 10% of Switzerlands. So either Swiss citizens are storing a lot of money in home safes instead of banks, or the banknotes are circulating around the world.

It's not a joke about the profit. If the USA currency supply goes up $100 billion in a year, and $75 billion goes overseas, that is pure profit. Those are hard goods and services that were bought with fiat money.

The currency supply of Iceland is 1% of GDP (2% after banking crisis), Sweden is 3%, Canada is 4%, Mexico is 5%, USA is 7%, Switzerland is 10%, and Japan is about 18%-20% . A country is free to run currency supply as high as they want, but it shows up on the books as a liability for the central bank. It is possible that if there is a currency crisis that Switzerland could print currency to some large percentage of GDP. However, people may accept that because they are looking for instruments of value that are universally accepted. They may accept that huge pile of gold that Switzerland has in their vaults.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 10th, 2012 at 6:44:24 AM permalink

If the USA currency supply goes up $100 billion in a year, and $75 billion goes overseas, that is pure profit.

You've been telling us this for some time, but I'm not really convinced. Rather than viewing it as profit, I consider it an account payable but not yet called due. If those folks who are holding those $100 bills overseas decide to convert their wealth to some other form, all those bills will come rushing back in, and it seems to me that the US would have to make good on them. What option would we have but to increase our debt even further, at whatever interest rate we are required to pay?

That doesn't sound quite the same to me as profit that has been recorded and banked. It's a loan to the US that is on the books and might (at least theoretically) be called due at most any time. The more currency we print and ship overseas, the greater the extent of that loan we have taken out. The only good point I see is that rather than us paying interest, the debt declines with inflationary devaluation of the dollar. That is more than counterbalanced, in my opinion, by the fact that this really is being treated as at least a net revenue if not profit, with no provision for dealing with how to cover that debt when it is called.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
April 10th, 2012 at 6:47:11 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

What option would we have but to increase our debt even further, at whatever interest rate we are required to pay?

Pay in more colored paper.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 7:26:05 AM permalink

Well Mexico has a GDP (not PPP) of US$1 trillion, while Switzerland has a GDP of US$0.5 trillion.

And that tells you how much more productive Switzerland is. Mexico has a population of around 100 million, maybe 90 million. I don't know what the Swiss population is, but it can't be very large.

Back in the days of hyperinflation (which we caught in a milder form than Brazil and Argentina), the higher the note denominations got, the more despair people felt. Well, the largest note was 100,000 pesos. In 1993 the currency reform chopped off three zeros. Now the highest denomination is 1,000 pesos, which is ten times more than the old 100,000 note in "real" terms.

Yes, we had the crisis in 1995, but even then the peso emerged at around 10 pesos per 1 US Dollar. Right now the value of a dollar hovers around 12.50 to 13.00 pesos. That tells you much about how much value the peso loses on a regular basis. more than that if you consider the dollar has lost value against the Euro and other hard currencies.
Doc
Doc
April 10th, 2012 at 7:34:49 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Pay in more colored paper.

I have to admit I don't understand all aspects of international currency exchange, but this is the way I think it goes. When someone overseas turns in US currency to their bank, and that country's central bank feels they have accumulated too much US currency, they transfer the funds to the US central bank and expect to receive their own currency (or perhaps gold or some such) in return. If the US government doesn't have such things to pay with, they must borrow.

If someone doesn't want US dollars any more and sends them back to us, you can't pay for them with US dollars. Other than accumulating debt, I don't see an option other than default, unless we find some way for the US government to generate a budget surplus on a regular basis. And I don't mean by printing and exporting currency -- that's just borrowing. Increasing the amount in your checking account by borrowing money is not equivalent to earning a profit.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 9:09:43 AM permalink

You've been telling us this for some time, but I'm not really convinced. Rather than viewing it as profit, I consider it an account payable but not yet called due. If those folks who are holding those $100 bills overseas decide to convert their wealth to some other form, all those bills will come rushing back in, and it seems to me that the US would have to make good on them. What option would we have but to increase our debt even further, at whatever interest rate we are required to pay?

That doesn't sound quite the same to me as profit that has been recorded and banked. It's a loan to the US that is on the books and might (at least theoretically) be called due at most any time. The more currency we print and ship overseas, the greater the extent of that loan we have taken out. The only good point I see is that rather than us paying interest, the debt declines with inflationary devaluation of the dollar. That is more than counterbalanced, in my opinion, by the fact that this really is being treated as at least a net revenue if not profit, with no provision for dealing with how to cover that debt when it is called.

Yes, currency is considered a liability on the balance sheets of the national banks of the world. The official statement is:

U.S. taxpayers benefit because the Federal Reserve issues U.S. currency, which is a non-interest-bearing liability, and uses the proceeds to acquire interest-bearing assets. The interest income, or gain, sometimes referred to as seigniorage, results from the United States effectively receiving an interest-free loan in the amount of U.S. currency held abroad.

But, for most of the post WWII era, it is a debt that is never called in. The desire for $100 notes has never decreased (so far)
Year Benjamins in circulation Benjamins held abroad
1965 $8,100,000,000 $3,900,000,000
1970 $12,100,000,000 $5,700,000,000
1975 $23,100,000,000 $10,000,000,000
1980 $49,300,000,000 $23,800,000,000
1985 $81,200,000,000 $45,800,000,000
1990 $140,200,000,000 $85,700,000,000
1995 $241,500,000,000 $169,200,000,000
1999 $386,200,000,000 $254,600,000,000
2000 $377,700,000,000 $256,000,000,000
2001 $421,000,000,000 $279,800,000,000
2002 $458,700,000,000 $301,300,000,000
2003 $487,800,000,000 $317,900,000,000
2004 $516,700,000,000 $332,700,000,000
2005 $545,000,000,000 $352,000,000,000

So while it is not "profit" in the usual sense, it is an interest free loan on a debt that is never repaid, and the principal decreases in value. In reality it is more than that. It is a way to pay for shoes, clothing, furniture, and services with a devaluing asset.

The supply of Benjamins increased by $80 billion in the year 2011, of which I am assuming from past estimates that at least $60 billion went overseas. The amount in circulation is roughly 8 billion notes.

I spoke with a woman today who just came back from Nairobi, and reported that the banks refused to accept her $100 bills that were of a series before 2006 - (the big headed $100 notes are in series 1996, 1999, 2001, 2003/2003A, and 2006/2006A). The fear is that the older notes may be "supernotes" or North Korean counterfeits. Basically, a new series is printed when a new Secretary of Treasurer is appointed. A letter 'A' is normally added when a new Treasurer is appointed or in the case of the 2006A series (which only applies to Benjamins), the old note is revived because of the manufacturing problem.

The fear is irrational. For starters, the easiest thing to change would be the serial number. It doesn't make sense that the counterfeiters are out of operation, and were unable to change a serial number on the bill.

The debacle with the new color $100 note (series 2009) means that the replacement note may be years away. Should people lose confidence in the 2006 series because of counterfeiting concerns, or of the dollar in general then, at the very least, people will not be interested in acquiring new ones.

Of course, the bigger concern than physical currency, is that the governments of the world will stop acquiring US treasury bonds to support their currency and their banks.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 10th, 2012 at 10:08:56 AM permalink

and the smallest banknote is worth more than $10.

I just mentioned this post to my coworker, who occasionally reads over my shoulder. His entire unedited reply was "soooo...strippers make what??"
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 10:58:22 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I just mentioned this post to my coworker, who occasionally reads over my shoulder. His entire unedited reply was "soooo...strippers make what??"

That question gets asked a lot when people talk about getting rid of the dollar bill. I believe that most countries either have other customs, or they special bills or flowers in Asia. My guess is that lap dances are more profitable, and it is easier to control the customers hands then collecting tips $1 at a time.

Unlike many countries who have replaced their small bills with coins, the Swiss have only made one denomination change in banknotes since 1957. On 1 October 1997 , they replaced their 500 franc note with a 200 franc note.

But the historical exchange rate prior to 1971 was 4.375 francs to the US dollar. Now it is $1.10 = 1 Swiss Franc.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 10th, 2012 at 11:14:00 AM permalink
Strippers get pissed when i put quarters in their g strings. I even warm the coins first. Guess there is no pleasing some people.

I mean, I even lobbied to get pole dancing as an Olympic sport !
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 10th, 2012 at 1:13:04 PM permalink

That question gets asked a lot when people talk about getting rid of the dollar bill. I believe that most countries either have other customs, or they special bills or flowers in Asia. My guess is that lap dances are more profitable, and it is easier to control the customers hands then collecting tips $1 at a time.

I've been lobbying among my friends and coworkers for the $1 coins for a while now, and the issue of strippers always comes up. I think the clubs should just print their own "funny money" in $1 increments... you walk up to the desk, buy a stack of these singles, and use them to tip. Seems like it would work fine. Clubs already have this "funny money" in larger denominations...not exactly sure what the point is, but I've seen it changing hands between the girls and the house for private dances and such. Just make a $1 denomination and there ya go...no more dollar bills!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 10th, 2012 at 1:14:20 PM permalink

Damn it, now I want one of those CHF1000 notes in addition to a couple EUR500 notes...my wishlist grows!
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 2:54:24 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Damn it, now I want one of those CHF1000 notes in addition to a couple EUR500 notes...my wishlist grows!

It is a pretty note. The nickname for the 500 Euro note, used to be the Bin Laden. Everybody wants it, but nobody can find one. I don't think the Swiss 1000 Franc note circulates much. But if you are going to bury your money in a safe, at least it should look nice.

The only country that circulates more currency per capita is Japan (currently the equivalent of US$8300 per capita including coins). The smallest banknote is worth $12.30 so you really can't stuff G-strings in that country.

But Japan is averse to large banknotes. They also seem to distrust attractive notes as well. The 10,000 yen note is worth US$123. While not much different in value than the US Benjamin, given the amount of cash in circulation, the average man's billfold must be stuffed with them. Of course, the crime rate is pretty low in Japan.

The Bank of Japan did investigate the possibility of a cashless society. Probably because tax evasion is the national pastime in Japan. Also with so many billions of banknotes circulating, there must be a fair number of counterfeits.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 10th, 2012 at 7:06:26 PM permalink

And that tells you how much more productive Switzerland is. Mexico has a population of around 100 million, maybe 90 million. I don't know what the Swiss population is, but it can't be very large.

Mexico is up to 115 million. It passed 90 million in 1993.
Switzerland is a country of 7.5 million of very wealthy people. It is difficult to compare Switzerland to anyone.

The film is somewhat dated, but Pane e Cioccolata (1973) is a comedy about immigration from central Italy to Switzerland for a better life. The Italian immigrants sing about all they need is the sun and the sea, but they go to Switzerland for money. In the climax of the film the hero, Nino Garofalo, finds a group of immigrants who are living in a chicken coop, and have learned to imitate the chickens for entertainment. Just then a group of Swiss youth come by, oblivious to the immigrants who are spying on them, and in a scene straight out of a Wagnerian opera proceed to swim naked and put crowns of flowers on each other's heads. Nino is overcome with desire to be like them and he disguises himself so that he looks Swiss. The plan works perfectly until he ends up watching a soccer match...

Nino is deported back to Italy to the jubilant singing about returning to the sun and the sea, but he jumps the train and heads back to Switzerland.

Of course, today, northern Italy is one of the most expensive places on the planet.

Italian immigrants doing comic chicken imitation routine
spying on the young Swiss who are skinny dipping
returning to Italy on train with songs of "sun" and "sea"
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 1:54:17 PM permalink
A $500 bill would have to get us out of this developing problem of coming out with a new generation of color $100 banknotes. The current supply of $100 banknotes is over 8 billion and is circulating around the world.

I have suggested that a type of casino chip, worth $1000 with an RFID chip may supplement the $100 bill. The endless battle of strips, holograms, and microprinting to deter counterfeiters would be replaced with a check on the internet. If the same serial number is showing up in London, Paris, and Baghdad, then you have a counterfeit.

It would make sense that the individual would have to give up some of their privacy with traditional banknotes. At the very least the city where the new $1000 chip resides should be revealed. That way the government can keep track of roughly where they are (Burma, Cuba, Columbia) while maintaining the individual's privacy. It may not be perfect, but it is better than the present day system where boxloads of bills end up in someone's basement without any means of tracing them at all.

• 26-Jan-06 "When someone is counterfeiting our money, we want them to stop doing that. We are aggressively saying to the North Koreans just that — don't counterfeit our money," Bush said in State of Union
  • 3-Jul-06 Henry Paulson Becomes Secretary of Treasurer
  • 1-Jan-07 Production of $100 banknotes begins (2006 series with Paulson signature) Many international banks will soon accept only this series
  • 5-Feb-07 President's budget for FY 2008 plans for 817.7 million color $100 banknotes (never happens)
  • 18-Nov-07 Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has suggested an end to the trading of oil in US dollars, calling the currency "a worthless piece of paper" (not about counterfeiting)
  • 4-Feb-08 President's budget for FY 2009 plans for 1321.6 million color $100 banknotes (never happens)
  • 11-Jan-08 McClatchy study challenges Bush's claims of North Korean counterfeiting unlikely
  • 26-Jan-09 Timothy Geithner becomes Secretary of Treasurer
  • 26-Feb-09 President's budget for FY 2010 plans for 2751.2 million color $100 banknotes (will go horribly wrong)
  • 31-May-10 Production of $100 banknotes ends (2006 series with Paulson signature)
  • 2-Oct-10 Government acknowledges new color $100 banknotes are flawed
  • 1-Jan-11 Production of $100 banknotes begins again using old design (2006A series with Paulson signature)
  • 31-Jul-11 Bureau of Engraving Printing stops printing production figures

Month & Production figures for 2006 $100 bill in number of pieces
    1. 31-Jan-07 22,400,000
    2. 28-Feb-07 41,600,000
    3. 31-Mar-07 64,000,000
    4. 30-Apr-07 64,000,000
    5. 31-May-07 64,000,000
    6. 30-Jun-07 268,800,000
    7. 31-Jul-07 35,200,000
    8. 31-Aug-07 48,000,000
    9. 30-Sep-07 57,600,000
    10. 31-Oct-07 150,400,000
    11. 30-Nov-07 118,400,000
    12. 31-Dec-07 86,400,000
    13. 31-Jan-08 121,600,000
    14. 29-Feb-08 112,000,000
    15. 31-Mar-08 115,200,000
    16. 30-Apr-08 115,200,000
    17. 31-May-08 121,600,000
    18. 30-Jun-08 128,000,000
    19. 31-Jul-08 70,400,000
    20. 31-Aug-08 70,400,000
    21. 30-Sep-08 0
    22. 31-Oct-08 115,200,000
    23. 30-Nov-08 166,400,000
    24. 31-Dec-08 131,200,000
    25. 31-Jan-09 118,400,000

The cartoon has little basis in reality. While production figures do go up under Obama administration, they are not radically increased. The production of banknotes has increased under every new presidential administration.
    26. 28-Feb-09 166,400,000
    27. 31-Mar-09 182,400,000
    28. 30-Apr-09 156,800,000
    29. 31-May-09 150,400,000
    30. 30-Jun-09 153,600,000
    31. 31-Jul-09 150,400,000
    32. 31-Aug-09 147,200,000
    33. 30-Sep-09 147,200,000
    34. 31-Oct-09 294,400,000
    35. 30-Nov-09 214,400,000
    36. 31-Dec-09 64,000,000
    37. 31-Jan-10 89,600,000
    38. 28-Feb-10 76,800,000
    39. 31-Mar-10 64,000,000
    40. 30-Apr-10 38,400,000
    41. 31-May-10 12,800,000
      =================
      2006A series resumed since all color $100 banknotes produced are defective (still bear signature of Secretary Paulson)
      =================
    42. 31-Jan-11 12,800,000
    43. 28-Feb-11 41,600,000
    44. 31-Mar-11 99,200,000
    45. 30-Apr-11 64,000,000
    46. 31-May-11 64,000,000
    47. 30-Jun-11 99,200,000
    48. 31-Jul-11 73,600,000
      =================
      information shut down by government
      =================

Total production of this series is 4.5152 billion $100 notes worth $451.52 billion dollars. By the end of 2010 there is $700 billion in $100 banknotes, so that the rest are from older series. The older series are widely rejected in the 3rd world.
Nareed
Nareed
April 11th, 2012 at 1:57:33 PM permalink

I have suggested that a type of casino chip, worth $1000 with an RFID chip may supplement the $100 bill. The endless battle of strips, holograms, and microprinting to deter counterfeiters would be replaced with a check on the internet.

The holograms, microprinting, security strips, raised lettering, color-shifting ink, fluorescent ink, and other htings aslo help the average person tell a real bill from a counterfit. A $1,000 chip would need to have some such features at the least.

Suppose you get paid in such chips and later you find they are fake?
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 2:26:19 PM permalink

The holograms, microprinting, security strips, raised lettering, color-shifting ink, fluorescent ink, and other htings aslo help the average person tell a real bill from a counterfit. A $1,000 chip would need to have some such features at the least.

There would be two different regimes where the currency would be used. The government wants to know about large cash transactions, hence you have to fill out a form if you are buying or selling anything of over $10,000 in cash. You also have to fill out the form if you are on an international flight. It's not illegal to buy or sell or carry a lot of cash, but it is illegal not to fill out the form.

The current types of anti-counterfeiting techniques are good for stores, restaurants, and personal transactions like buying or selling used cars. You could check the validity of the bills using your eyes and good lighting. Sometimes people use electronic means to allow them to check large numbers of bills at one time.

The "$1000 casino chip" would require some kind of equipment. So they would circulate in casinos, banks would have the equipment, businesses, or even individuals who deal in large cash transactions. The assumption is most people will not take something worth $1000 dollars without good verification that it is not counterfeit. Part of the race between offices of engraving and printing is that they are still trying to produce a safe banknote for very little money. The BEP claims they can make a $1 banknote for 5 cents, and a $100 banknote for 12 cents. The $1 banknote has no modern security features.

There are machines that count currency, and check for counterfeits at the same time.

Suppose you get paid in such chips and later you find they are fake?

Most people are paid in the USA via direct deposit or via check. If you are paying someone for working on your house, most people pay with checks to keep it legal. If it is underground economy (I'll fix your roof for $6000, but $4000 if you pay in cash), then the assumption is that it is a tax dodge. You as the payer are not legally held responsible, but if it goes over $10,000 then you are liable for not filling out the form.

So legal cash transactions are fairly limited if they go over $10,000. Most people prefer some other means of transferring money. Of course the international use of the currency may limit the use of the chip. On the other hand, if you are dealing in hundreds of pounds of currency, you may want to check it's validity with more than visual looks.

A lot has to do with how serious the government is about the underground illegal economy. Like I said the United Kingdom manages fine with lots of banknotes worth US$30, and a handful (3 per capita) of banknotes worth US$75.
Nareed
Nareed
April 11th, 2012 at 2:57:13 PM permalink

The government wants to know about large cash transactions, hence you have to fill out a form if you are buying or selling anything of over $10,000 in cash. You also have to fill out the form if you are on an international flight. It's not illegal to buy or sell or carry a lot of cash, but it is illegal not to fill out the form.

The government's too nosy as it is. Just one more way in which the "war" on drugs does more to harm everyone than drugs could ever dream to.

Quote:

There are machines that count currency, and check for counterfeits at the same time.

I saw oen demonstrated a few years ago. It turned out some false positices, as is to be expected. But it also turned out false negatives. A brick worth 50,000 pesos with three fake notes and one blank piece of bond paper cut to the size of a bill, managed to detect the blank paper but not the phony notes.

I wasn't impressed.

If you handle lots of cash, the best detector is a UV lamp.

Quote:

A lot has to do with how serious the government is about the underground illegal economy.

You know in some countries that's the only aprt fo the economy that's actually productive?
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 3:21:15 PM permalink

If you handle lots of cash, the best detector is a UV lamp.

You know in some countries that's the only aprt fo the economy that's actually productive?

Well a lot of businesses simply refuse to handle cash. Apartment rental routinely will not accept cash. Some restaurants refuse, but they often get lambasted.

There are many defenders of the underground economy in the USA. Many religious people believe that a cashless society is a sign of the apocalypse. A lot of religious people have interpreted credit cards as the sign of end times.

Quote: Revelation 13

11And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Nareed
Nareed
April 11th, 2012 at 3:32:43 PM permalink

Well a lot of businesses simply refuse to handle cash. Apartment rental routinely will not accept cash. Some restaurants refuse, but they often get lambasted.

It varies by country and region.

Quote:

There are many defenders of the underground economy in the USA.

Good.

Quote:

Many religious people believe that a cashless society is a sign of the apocalypse. A lot of religious people have interpreted credit cards as the sign of end times.

I've heard about that, among many other things. But they can't be taken seriously. I mean, many religious people also believe in god ;P

I usually carry very little cash with me. I prefer to pay in cash with a debit card anyway. And I pay bills with checks or electronic transfers.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 4:24:40 PM permalink

I've heard about that, among many other things. But they can't be taken seriously. I mean, many religious people also believe in god ;P
I usually carry very little cash with me. I prefer to pay in cash with a debit card anyway. And I pay bills with checks or electronic transfers.

Quote: Revelation 13

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Well in the USA there are 185 million Americans with credit cards, and over 135 million without. Many of those are children, and people without jobs or poor.

Many of those religious people actually use credit cards, they are just upset at the idea of a world without the option of paying cash.

Also, a lot of people say they don't care about privacy. Then something happens in their life (like an affair) and suddenly they start to care about privacy.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 11th, 2012 at 4:47:32 PM permalink
" I have suggested that a type of casino chip, worth $1000 with an RFID chip may supplement the $100 bill. The endless battle of strips, holograms, and microprinting to deter counterfeiters would be replaced with a check on the internet. If the same serial number is showing up in London, Paris, and Baghdad, then you have a counterfeit. "

I would enthusiastically support this, if only I had more faith in the government protecting the database from hackers.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 8:50:36 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

I would enthusiastically support this, if only I had more faith in the government protecting the database from hackers.

The government announced when they released the big headed $100 banknote in 1996, that they would have a new one by 2006. Instead by 2006 we have the POTUS announcing in the State of the Union that North Korea is counterfeiting our bill. Personally, I think the series 2009 $100 bills (which they made in 2011) are probably worthless. They are just waiting for Secretary Geithner to resign to use that as an excuse for destroying the banknotes.

Traditionally each new Secretary of the Treasurer gets a new series for every denomination (except the $2 bill).

At the current production rate it would take 7 years to replace the entire lot. Then they will need the next generation of notes.

I don't think that there will be a counterfeiting scare bad enough to void the entire currency (like Britain in WWII), but it may shake confidence in the overseas circulation (which is over half the value). They will find something new, possibly the Euro, possibly Canadian $100 banknote, $1000 Swiss banknotes, or possibly private currency (or some combination thereof).

It could be more serious than the little shopkeeper in Russia keeping his savings in Euros instead of dollars. Read the article on Petrodollar Warfare.

======================
Repeating timeline

• 1996 The new generation of big-headed $100 banknotes is released to the public. Distribution centers are created around the world (particularly in Russia) to replace the old notes
  • 26-Jan-06 "When someone is counterfeiting our money, we want them to stop doing that. We are aggressively saying to the North Koreans just that — don't counterfeit our money," Bush said in State of Union
  • 3-Jul-06 Henry Paulson Becomes Secretary of Treasurer
  • 1-Jan-07 Production of $100 banknotes begins (2006 series with Paulson signature) Many international banks will soon accept only this series
  • 5-Feb-07 President's budget for FY 2008 plans for 817.7 million color $100 banknotes (never happens)
  • 18-Nov-07 Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has suggested an end to the trading of oil in US dollars, calling the currency "a worthless piece of paper" (not about counterfeiting)
  • 4-Feb-08 President's budget for FY 2009 plans for 1321.6 million color $100 banknotes (never happens)
  • 11-Jan-08 McClatchy study challenges Bush's claims of North Korean counterfeiting unlikely
  • 26-Jan-09 Timothy Geithner becomes Secretary of Treasurer
  • 26-Feb-09 President's budget for FY 2010 plans for 2751.2 million color $100 banknotes (will go horribly wrong)
  • 31-May-10 Production of $100 banknotes ends (2006 series with Paulson signature)
  • 2-Oct-10 Government acknowledges new color $100 banknotes are flawed
  • 1-Jan-11 Production of $100 banknotes begins again using old design (2006A series with Paulson signature)
  • 31-Jul-11 Bureau of Engraving Printing stops printing production figures

-----------------------------------

Problem with the new color $100 bill.

The BEP has not released any pictures of the problem. Currency normally has errors that creep in. When the errors are few and far between, the bills become collector items. But the problem is that they printed roughly 1.2 billion notes, and there is an unacceptably high error rate. The errors are some variation of these old fashioned "gutter folds" which are caused by wrinkles in the paper.

pacomartin
pacomartin
April 11th, 2012 at 9:51:54 PM permalink

Back in the days of hyperinflation (which we caught in a milder form than Brazil and Argentina), the higher the note denominations got, the more despair people felt. Well, the largest note was 100,000 pesos. In 1993 the currency reform chopped off three zeros. Now the highest denomination is 1,000 pesos, which is ten times more than the old 100,000 note in "real" terms.

The list of currencies that have had to cut three zeros (or even 6 or 9 zeros) since WWII is rather extensive.

Is the word in Mexico hiperinflación?

The tendency to use dollars in Tijuana increased dramatically after el error de diciembre in 1994.

A photo from 1923 of children in Germany using bricks of money as toys
Nareed
Nareed
April 12th, 2012 at 7:01:10 AM permalink

Is the word in Mexico hiperinflación?

Si.

Quote:

The tendency to use dollars in Tijuana increased dramatically after el error de diciembre in 1994.

I was last in Tijuana in 1981. back then most shops and restaurants had their prices in dollars displayed more prominently than in pesos. I've been to other border towns, like Nuevo Laredo and Reynosa, and dollars were not so widely used there.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 12th, 2012 at 1:28:23 PM permalink

I was last in Tijuana in 1981. back then most shops and restaurants had their prices in dollars displayed more prominently than in pesos. I've been to other border towns, like Nuevo Laredo and Reynosa, and dollars were not so widely used there.

Well, Nuevo Laredo and Reynosa, were part of the culture back to colonial days. The Rio Grande Valley is almost 90% Mexican ancestry on the US side of the border.

Tijuana was founded as a tourist town. It grew when all the Mexicans who were brought over to work in WWII were deported in the 1950's. Virtually everyone I ever talked in TJ had immigrated from some other part of Mexico, or there parents did.

I was talking to a Mexican American man from Texas in a Vegas casino. He asked me how long my family has lived in the USA. I said almost all my ancestors came between 1885 and 1920 (I have since found a branch of Germans that came in 1750). He said his ancestors came to Texas in mid 1600's . We had some discussion about that since I have always read that Texas was not colonized until the late 1600's. But I know Santa Fe was founded in 1609 (one of those historical dates that sticks in my mind), so I conceded that there may be some history I am ignorant about.
Nareed
Nareed
April 12th, 2012 at 3:57:04 PM permalink

We had some discussion about that since I have always read that Texas was not colonized until the late 1600's. But I know Santa Fe was founded in 1609 (one of those historical dates that sticks in my mind), so I conceded that there may be some history I am ignorant about.

I know the states as they are now may have had different boundaries when they were territories, but isn't Santa Fe in New Mexico?

In any case, Texas was part of Mexico until the 1840s or 1850s, wasn't it? I forget the exact dates, but it was not too long before the US Civil War.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 12th, 2012 at 6:46:17 PM permalink

I know the states as they are now may have had different boundaries when they were territories, but isn't Santa Fe in New Mexico?

In any case, Texas was part of Mexico until the 1840s or 1850s, wasn't it? I forget the exact dates, but it was not too long before the US Civil War.

Back in the early 1600's there were no states or territories. Santa Fe was the first Spanish settlement in what is present day USA.

Moses Austin negotiated with the Spanish government to bring 300 Anglo families to Texas. But he died about 16 weeks before the Spanish government recognized the independence of Mexico. The son, Stephen Austin, renegotiated the same deal with the new country, who found it beneficial for the same reason, but the new settlers promised to be loyal to the new Mexican government. The advantage to Mexico was increased trade, and a buffer layer between them and the Apaches.

But so many American immigrants came that they took over the place. So less than 15 years later, General Santa Ana led a military mission to pacify their own territory. That led to the battle of the Alamo. The Republic of Texas was declared, and then Texas was welcomed into the union in 1845.

So Texas became a state before not only the civil war, but before the Mexican American war.
Doc
Doc
April 13th, 2012 at 6:45:46 AM permalink

Back in the early 1600's there were no states or territories. Santa Fe was the first Spanish settlement in what is present day USA.

How does it compare to St. Augustine?
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 13th, 2012 at 10:47:15 AM permalink

How does it compare to St. Augustine?

Actually, I had a longer answer, but the website froze, and I lost it.

St Augustine, FL, and Roanoke VA were established much earlier. When Roanoke was destroyed by unknown forces, the English blamed the Spanish. As a result St Augustine (which was established in 1565 was destroyed by Sir Francis Drake in 1586 and all the inhabitants driven into the wilderness. It is debatable historically whether Santa Fe (1609) or St Augustine is the oldest continually inhabited city in the present day USA. Santa Fe was never abandoned.

In order to prevent dispute, Santa Fe usually takes the claim as the oldest continually inhabited "capital" in the USA.

• Jump to: