Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
October 25th, 2011 at 6:35:59 AM permalink
Over a decade ago, someone showed me a solitaire game you can play standing up, holding the deck with one hand.

With the deck face down, pull the bottom card to the top, flipping it face up. Repeat pulling cards from the bottom of the deck, to the top, face up, until you have a set you can discard. At least 4 cards must be face up to have a possible discard set.

To discard, look at your top card, and the 4th card down. If they match in suit, you may discard the two cards between them (2nd and 3rd card). If they match in rank, all 4 cards may be discarded. You can usually hold discards between the middle and index finger of the hand holding the deck.

After a suit discard, the order of cards will change, causing a possible chain reaction. Always compare top card with the 4th card for a possible match.

When you run out of cards, you may cycle the bottom card to the top (no need to turn it over, it's already face up), until there are no possible matches. A win is a totally discarded deck, otherwise your score is the number of cards remaining.

Any ideas on what this game is?
-Dween!
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 25th, 2011 at 7:29:39 AM permalink
When I was a kid, that game was called "Idiot's Delight."

Seriously.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
October 25th, 2011 at 8:31:58 AM permalink
One-Handed Solitaire
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
October 25th, 2011 at 9:16:34 AM permalink
Nice find, miplet. I tried as many Google searches as I could think of to locate it, never succeeding. Appreciate the help!
-Dween!
Kayday
Kayday
  • Threads: 3
October 27th, 2011 at 11:12:03 AM permalink
I love this game - and never knew it was called anything, so I'm glad you asked.

Another, very similar one I like is Accordion Solitaire. The rules are almost the same as one-handed, except you lay the cards one by one onto a table, and then collapse them into stacks when suits or ranks match. The goal is to end up with just one stack.
  • Jump to: