No votes (0%)
1 vote (14.28%)
2 votes (28.57%)

7 members have voted

mgreiche
mgreiche
  • Threads: 19
August 4th, 2011 at 8:49:23 AM permalink
Are there any investors amongst all you gamblers out there?

For the purposes of long term investments (5+ years or longer), would you rather invest $10,000 in Las Vegas Sands (LVS), MGM Resorts International (MGM), Boyd Gaming (BYD), Wynn Resorts (WYNN) or some other gambling related company. And why?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 4th, 2011 at 9:10:27 AM permalink
I'd invest in DEQ. It's a huge gamble, but it's dirt cheap, the upside is there, and $10k isn't totally crippling if it's lost.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
August 4th, 2011 at 10:26:08 AM permalink
For 5 years i pick WYNN. Steve Wynn has shown that he is a master of the gaming market, and expansion into Asia will become the focal point of revenues.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 4th, 2011 at 10:38:22 AM permalink
Wynn's heart isn't in it anymore. He's lost his Bellagio touch. That's not to say that he's a bad bet, just not the best. I would look elsewhere. Look for some small operation that's showing signs of growth. Maybe Dotty's?!?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
August 4th, 2011 at 12:16:21 PM permalink
LVS - Lots of debt, but good Asian prospects
MGM - Too much debt and no prospects other than selling off assets
BYD - Good local prospects, AC could be a big win/loss, interesting one to watch
WYNN - Lots of debt but kicking ass in Asia, overbought?

WYNN might be the lower risk, but I'm voting for BYD.
seviay
seviay
  • Threads: 16
August 4th, 2011 at 1:35:05 PM permalink
On track record, I think Wynn...but that sort of feels like buying in to Microsoft or Berkshire Hathaway a few years after the party stagnated. I'm not sure I trust any of them currently. Most of the big players are drawing a vast majority of their profits from Macau, right? What happens if other countries nearby suddenly allow gaming? What happens if there's a major "act of God" as in the typhoons, tidal waves, and earthquakes that have hit that part of the world in the last 5 years? When Wynn was down in the 80s or 90s, it looked attractive. Now it's around $140 (haven't checked since the market has tanked), and it looks much less attractive.

LVS may have more upside, but it feels riskier than Wynn, so I voted Wynn.
iwannaiguana
iwannaiguana
  • Threads: 7
August 4th, 2011 at 2:33:37 PM permalink
I've actually owned a few of these stocks. Watched MGM ride from $90 all the way to $2. I think MGM is the best buy of the aforementioned stocks at only $12. You definitely want to get in on a stock that's investing heavily in Asia where all the growth potential is. Personally I like MPEL, it's a little riskier but a lot more upside.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 4th, 2011 at 2:45:06 PM permalink
I went with Wynn. I wouldn't touch anything in gaming right now, but Steve seems to understand keeping cash reserves and as others said, is kicking tail overseas. He is also smart enough to understand the disaster we have in the WH now and speaking out on it. Everyone else seems to want favors.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: