Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 3rd, 2011 at 3:19:47 PM permalink
Where would you be standing if the lobby entrances to all the "major" Las Vegas Hotels were all the exact same distance away?

For now, assume downtown is not considered "major".

If Mandalay Bay is the Southern end, The Orleans is the Western, and the Las Vegas Hilton is the Northern and Easternmost point, my rough estimate is that you would be standing in the defunct Liberace Museum on Tropicana and Spencer.

Anyone have Google Earth?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
August 3rd, 2011 at 3:49:58 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Where would you be standing if the lobby entrances to all the "major" Las Vegas Hotels were all the exact same distance away?

If Mandalay Bay is the Southern end, The Orleans is the Western, and the Las Vegas Hilton is the Northern and Easternmost point, my rough estimate is that you would be standing in the defunct Liberace Museum on Tropicana and Spencer.

The center of the earth. (Assuming the earth is a sphere.)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 3rd, 2011 at 4:46:23 PM permalink

You would be standing in the sky as this would be impossible on the ground since The Strip is linear.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
August 3rd, 2011 at 4:51:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

You would be standing in the sky as this would be impossible on the ground since The Strip is linear.

Not possible in the sky either since Earth is convex :)
Matilda has the right answer.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 3rd, 2011 at 5:02:20 PM permalink
I think the Orleans is far enough west to pull the mid point west of the museum. I also think the Hilton is far enough north to pull the midpoint slightly north of the museum. Oshea's, maybe?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 3rd, 2011 at 5:42:55 PM permalink
I think you mean "where is the center of the convex hull formed by the major Las Vegas hotels". If you require the distances to *all* of the lobbies to be equal, the only plausible location on the surface of the Earth where that could hold would be roughly 2500 miles east of the horn of Africa out in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 3rd, 2011 at 11:29:48 PM permalink

Awesome fail! Let me re-phrase...

Where would you be standing if the distance to any major hotel lobby (as bounded in the original post) was equal to the distance to at least one other major hotel's lobby?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 4th, 2011 at 7:16:34 AM permalink

Awesome fail! Let me re-phrase...

Where would you be standing if the distance to any major hotel lobby (as bounded in the original post) was equal to the distance to at least one other major hotel's lobby?

I think you're still failing:-)

The current phrasing has many (MANY!) solutions. It works for standing in the middle of LVB between NYNY and MGM, between the Trop and Excalibur, between Paris and Bellagio, between Caesars and Flamingo, between Mirage and Venetian, between Circus Circus and Riviera (assuming those two are "in," if the zone is really a triangle, they may not be). It also works standing in the back of Paris for both Planet Hollywood and Bally's. On Hacienda for Luxor and Mandalay Bay, On Flamingo for the Flamingo and Paris, Somewhere in the Wynn for Wynncore, somewhere in the Venetian for Venetian/Pallazo. And a slew of options for where the distance is equal but not minimized.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
matilda
matilda
August 4th, 2011 at 7:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I think you mean "where is the center of the convex hull formed by the major Las Vegas hotels". If you require the distances to *all* of the lobbies to be equal, the only plausible location on the surface of the Earth where that could hold would be roughly 2500 miles east of the horn of Africa out in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

I think you mean off the Cape of Good Hope. The horn of africa is where Somalia is.

Not to be confused with Cape Horn, the southernmost point of South America.
matilda
matilda
August 4th, 2011 at 7:21:59 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

The current phrasing has many (MANY!) solutions. It works for standing in the middle of LVB between NYNY and MGM, between the Trop and Excalibur, between Paris and Bellagio, between Caesars and Flamingo, between Mirage and Venetian, between Circus Circus and Riviera (assuming those two are "in," if the zone is really a triangle, they may not be). It also works standing in the back of Paris for both Planet Hollywood and Bally's. On Hacienda for Luxor and Mandalay Bay, On Flamingo for the Flamingo and Paris, Somewhere in the Wynn for Wynncore, somewhere in the Venetian for Venetian/Pallazo. And a slew of options for where the distance is equal but not minimized.

I agree, there is not a unique solution.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 4th, 2011 at 8:14:35 AM permalink
Quote: matilda

I think you mean off the Cape of Good Hope. The horn of africa is where Somalia is.

Not to be confused with Cape Horn, the southernmost point of South America.

Heh, that's exactly what I did. Leave it to me to conflate the geographical features of two continents. Yes, I meant 2500 miles east from the southernmost point of Africa.

Next I'll tell you about my visit to Lake Tanganyicaca.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 4th, 2011 at 12:36:14 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

The current phrasing has many (MANY!) solutions.

Yes, you're right. I expect it to be a line, probably a curve. Remember that at any point, on that line every lobby (not just one) would be the same distance away as at least one other (but that distance would not necessarily be equal to any other pair).

1) If you imagine all the lobbys as points on a scatter plot, where would that line bisect the line connecting the two points with the most distance between them?

2) Where would the point be on the line with the minimum average distance to all the lobbys?

3) Are #1 and #2 the same?
  • Jump to: