Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 29th, 2011 at 4:16:27 AM permalink
I was watching the Big Bang Theory where two of the characters tried to break an impasse by playing a variation of Roshambo called Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock. Here are the rules:

1. Scissors cuts paper.
2. Paper covers rock.
3. Rock crushes lizard.
4. Lizard poisons Spock.
5. Spock smashes scissors.
6. Scissors decapitates lizard.
7. Lizard eats paper.
8. Paper disproves Spock.
9. Spock vaporizes rock.
10. Rocks crushes scissors.

Notice the combin(5,2)=10 rules. I checked and the game balances. Much like a betting system, there is no strategy that could have an advantage, or disadvantage, against a random picker.

Here is a Youtube video of the scene.

Interesting twist on Roshabo. It also illustrates the great writing behing the Big Bang Theory. What other show would think to do something like that? No particular question here, just wanted to share something that amused me.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 29th, 2011 at 5:16:23 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I was watching the Big Bang Theory where two of the characters tried to break an impasse by playing a variation of Roshambo called Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock. Here are the rules:

1. Scissors cuts paper.
2. Paper covers rock.
3. Rock crushes lizard.
4. Lizard poisons Spock.
5. Spock smashes scissors.
6. Scissors decapitates lizard.
7. Lizard eats paper.
8. Paper disproves Spock.
9. Spock vaporizes rock.
10. Rocks crushes scissors.

Interesting twist on Roshabo. It also illustrates the great writing behing the Big Bang Theory. What other show would think to do something like that? No particular question here, just wanted to share something that amused me.

We have already stolen it to settle a few disputes. Its quite common to hear an arguament settled with Scissor Paper Stone Lizard Spock for it.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 29th, 2011 at 5:29:32 AM permalink

I love that show. The funniest part of the scene is that then Sheldon and Raj both always draw "Spock." The whole thing starts because Sheldon claims that players who know each other well tie too often at "rock, paper scissors." BTW the episode is named "The Lizard Spock Expansion."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 29th, 2011 at 7:29:53 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

We have already stolen it to settle a few disputes. Its quite common to hear an arguament settled with Scissor Paper Stone Lizard Spock for it.

I had never heard of it before. I have heard of adding the dreaded dynamite, which doesn't work because the dynamite game doesn't balance.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 29th, 2011 at 7:46:06 AM permalink
Our family loves the show, and we only discovered it this year after advice from a work colleague. My daughter's favorite episode is the one you mentioned. My favorite one is the Christmas episode when Sheldon gets a gift from Penny.

What I love about the show is that it makes the "geekiness" of scientists cool.

What I like about it is that it's branched my daughter out to have a better love for science and science fiction. For example, I love Star Trek and Star Trek: TNG, but whenever an episode came on, my daughter would put her finger in her mouth and go "eh!!!". Now, I can put it on and she has interest in the characters because the characters on the show do.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 30th, 2011 at 12:05:11 AM permalink

I had never heard of it before. I have heard of adding the dreaded dynamite, which doesn't work because the dynamite game doesn't balance.

We use an equivalent to dynamite: the mushroom cloud (hold your hand palm down, fingers curled inward). Mushroom cloud beats everything ... except the Twinkie.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
cellardoor
cellardoor
  • Threads: 1
January 30th, 2011 at 12:11:28 AM permalink
If 5 variations impress you, then 101 will blow your mind!

http://www.umop.com/rps101/rps101chart.html

Big Bang Theory easily has the best writing on television.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 30th, 2011 at 12:20:56 AM permalink
Quote: cellardoor

The pilot ep had an exchange that still makes me laugh. It goes more or less like this:

Leonard "At least I didn't invent additional dimensions to make my theory work."
Sheldon "I didn't invent them. They're there."
Leonard "Oh, yeah? In what universe?"
Sheldon" In all of them. That's the point."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 9th, 2011 at 7:47:52 PM permalink
For more R/P/S fun...

Rock-Paper-Scissors: You vs. the Computer
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 9th, 2011 at 8:16:00 PM permalink

Interesting. I guess you can make up something that works as long as you have an odd number of items.

Agreed 100% about the Big Bang Theory!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 9th, 2011 at 9:02:27 PM permalink

Interesting. I guess you can make up something that works as long as you have an odd number of items.

This reminds me of how the Yurpeons play poker with the Wheel beating the Royal but all the other straight flushes beat the Wheel
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 9th, 2011 at 9:26:24 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

This reminds me of how the Yurpeons play poker with the Wheel beating the Royal but all the other straight flushes beat the Wheel

First time I've heard that ranking...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 10th, 2011 at 4:00:11 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Quote: s2dbaker

First time I've heard that ranking...

I'll try to find a linky when I get back home.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
  • Jump to: