Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 8th, 2024 at 8:57:12 AM permalink
Looked at Mazatlan, Waco, Buffalo. None look clear. Going to be lots of disappointment going around.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
April 8th, 2024 at 9:34:09 AM permalink
I see that those that can afford it are chartering small planes to take them above the clouds.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 13
April 8th, 2024 at 9:43:39 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Looked at Mazatlan, Waco, Buffalo. None look clear. Going to be lots of disappointment going around.
link to original post

Very, very lucky here in Indy. High clouds. Just about a perfect day.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 8th, 2024 at 9:46:50 AM permalink
Pretty clear here in South Florida today but we are only getting 40% to 50% coverage.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
April 8th, 2024 at 11:17:25 AM permalink
Central northwest Ohio looking pretty good. Some light high cloud coverage but good.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
April 8th, 2024 at 11:45:33 AM permalink
I’m somewhere in the gulf on a cruise. Captain came on and said our coverage is 67.3%. People are passing around glasses on the pool deck to look at it. Pretty cool to look directly at it with the glasses, but if you didn’t know there was an eclipse happening there would be no difference without them.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
April 8th, 2024 at 11:51:54 AM permalink
ABC has live coverage. My local ABC affiliate took over with local eclipse coverage at 3 pm. Outlook: excessively cloudy, can't see the sun. Roads are blocked off by police, so going to a park is probably too late.
In my parking lot it got darker than half an hour after sunset. It was surprising to see the light come back so fast with only a few per cent of a sliver of sun that can't be seen because of clouds. It's supposed to rain soon in the next hour. The news said totality was just over 2 minutes for my town. It was up to 4 minutes in the TV viewing area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umFU4VylbSk

Last edited by: ChumpChange on Apr 8, 2024
DRich
DRich
April 8th, 2024 at 12:19:26 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I’m somewhere in the gulf on a cruise. Captain came on and said our coverage is 67.3%. People are passing around glasses on the pool deck to look at it. Pretty cool to look directly at it with the glasses, but if you didn’t know there was an eclipse happening there would be no difference without them.
link to original post

If I was on vacation in the Caribbean or Gulf I would be upset to lose an hour or two of sun.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 8th, 2024 at 12:32:18 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

If I was on vacation in the Caribbean or Gulf I would be upset to lose an hour or two of sun.
link to original post

We had over 90% coverage where I live. It was still impossible to look directly at it and the light barely dimmed. I don't think your vacation would be ruined at all. Even at 100% coverage, you'd lose maybe four minutes of sun, tops.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
April 8th, 2024 at 1:47:59 PM permalink
Leading up to totality where we were in Dallas, the sun came out then faded back behind the clouds. The suspense intensified as we bathed in warm sunlight then got chilled under dark gray clouds. When totality arrived, we got just enough clear skies to enjoy a white-colored corona!
Torghatten
Torghatten
  • Threads: 5
April 8th, 2024 at 2:02:49 PM permalink
Had a perfect view from Saint Jean in Québec. Little less than 3 minuttes of totality.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 8th, 2024 at 3:04:49 PM permalink
We were supposed to have 23% coverage in Knoxville. Instead we had a total eclipse by the clouds. We saw absolutely nothing.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
April 8th, 2024 at 3:11:08 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

We were supposed to have 23% coverage in Knoxville. Instead we had a total eclipse by the clouds. We saw absolutely nothing.
link to original post

Picture or it didn't happen.

Er, not happen.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
April 8th, 2024 at 3:46:47 PM permalink
Was north of 80% eclipsed for me. Didn't have glasses but I was out driving while it happened so I wasn't gonna look at the sun. It was noticeably darker but not incredibly darker. I swear it FELT cooler with the less sunlight while outside.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 8th, 2024 at 4:36:18 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

link to original post

Picture or it didn't happen.

Er, not happen.
link to original post

I happened to be in the area as well.
The sun was slightly less intense than usual for about an hour, I think.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
April 8th, 2024 at 4:45:08 PM permalink

link to original post

I like Knoxville, what a great city.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
April 8th, 2024 at 4:51:50 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I see that those that can afford it are chartering small planes to take them above the clouds.
link to original post

That would be so cool.. fly slowly along the path of totality on a small plane with a glass dome
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 8th, 2024 at 4:59:07 PM permalink

I think an annular solar eclipse (2017) looks better than a total solar eclipse (2024).
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 8th, 2024 at 5:02:06 PM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

Was north of 80% eclipsed for me. Didn't have glasses but I was out driving while it happened so I wasn't gonna look at the sun. It was noticeably darker but not incredibly darker. I swear it FELT cooler with the less sunlight while outside.
link to original post

i was actually at a store when it happened in my area.
i wasnt planning on see the eclipse at all but i noticed all these people in eclipse glasses looking up.
So i took out my phone and watched the eclipse on the camera app
DRich
DRich
April 8th, 2024 at 5:31:19 PM permalink
I didn't even bother to leave the house to look at it.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
April 8th, 2024 at 6:58:21 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: 100xOdds

Why is it bad to look directly at an eclipse?
the moon blocks out most of the sun
link to original post

It's bad to look directly at the Sun at all times EXCEPT for the few precious seconds or minutes during totality, when the Moon completely occludes the Sun, leaving only the Sun's corona visible. Even when the Sun is 99% blocked, the direct rays can still damage unshielded eyeballs. So it's dangerous to look at the eclipse while it's in progress, except during totality,
link to original post

A long time ago (I think it was during the 1970 eclipse), I thought I heard that it had more to do with how infrared rays somehow bounce off the moon's surface, which is why you could wear welder's glasses at the time to look at just the sun, but even that was dangerous during a total eclipse.
link to original post

TDG,
Late, of course, but still good to keep in the brainpan.
Infrared has nothing to do with it. Infrared is by definition on the low-energy end of the spectrum. The reflectivity of the Moon (or albedo) is just 0.136, meaning only 13.6 percent of the light that hits the Moon is reflected; the rest is absorbed or scattered. So it can't be anything coming off the Moons surface that is dangerous to your eyes. If it were so, the Full Moon would melt everyone's eyes.

No, unfiltered light from the surface of the sun is just plain bad news to your retina. Retinal doctors have reported in the past on the damages that peoples' retinas have suffered as a result of looking at partial eclipses. It's very specific and unmistakable: little dark crescents burned into the retina itself from people staring at the Sun. Two reasons make this time particularly dangerous: the time around totality has a marked decrease in the sun's light, which not only opens the pupil of the eye, allowing more light in, and the 'darkness' all around convince people to look at the still-dangerous sun. Thus, they get little crescent blind spots in their visual field for the rest of their lives.
Mukke
Mukke
  • Threads: 9
April 8th, 2024 at 7:12:17 PM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

link to original post

Temperature absolute drops during an eclipse. Last time I went to Oregon and experienced the totality. It got dark, birds stopped singing and yes, the temperature dropped. I don't recall exactly how much though recently I've read it can drop up to 10 freedom degrees.

This time it was rather anticlimactic. ~20% eclipse and rainy == no observable change.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
April 8th, 2024 at 8:04:25 PM permalink
3m52s of totality. The view was enhanced by wispy cirrus clouds. The temp drop was so sharp that there was a small wind gust front you could hear coming about 30 seconds before totality.

Spectacular.

Now, do we have a topic for the Iceland-Spain eclipse in 2026, or the Straits of Messina/Rock of Gibraltar eclipse in 2027?
Mental
Mental
Thanked by
ChumpChangeterapinedunJonJoeman
April 8th, 2024 at 8:46:02 PM permalink
There were several prominent solar flares. The flare at 6:30 in the image was extremely bright and easily visible to the naked eye during totality. It appears pink here, but orange to the naked eye. I also caught a soaring bird in this image.

This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
April 8th, 2024 at 9:12:50 PM permalink
Quote: Mental

There were several prominent solar flares. The flare at 6:30 in the image was extremely bright and easily visible to the naked eye during totality. It appears pink here, but orange to the naked eye. I also caught a soaring bird in this image.

link to original post

I just looked at the GOES X-Ray Flux page, and the strongest flare for the afternoon of 8 April was C1.0--far too small for any kind of naked-eye 'flare'. What you and I saw (It was quite orange to me) was a solar prominence. Good article about this at SpaceWeather.com for a higher resolution picture, as well as a great GIF of the shadow of the Moon racing along the eclipse track from a GOES weather satellite.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
April 8th, 2024 at 9:23:03 PM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

Quote: ThatDonGuy

Why is it bad to look directly at an eclipse?
the moon blocks out most of the sun
link to original post

It's bad to look directly at the Sun at all times EXCEPT for the few precious seconds or minutes during totality, when the Moon completely occludes the Sun, leaving only the Sun's corona visible. Even when the Sun is 99% blocked, the direct rays can still damage unshielded eyeballs. So it's dangerous to look at the eclipse while it's in progress, except during totality,
link to original post

A long time ago (I think it was during the 1970 eclipse), I thought I heard that it had more to do with how infrared rays somehow bounce off the moon's surface, which is why you could wear welder's glasses at the time to look at just the sun, but even that was dangerous during a total eclipse.
link to original post

TDG,
Late, of course, but still good to keep in the brainpan.
Infrared has nothing to do with it. Infrared is by definition on the low-energy end of the spectrum. The reflectivity of the Moon (or albedo) is just 0.136, meaning only 13.6 percent of the light that hits the Moon is reflected; the rest is absorbed or scattered. So it can't be anything coming off the Moons surface that is dangerous to your eyes. If it were so, the Full Moon would melt everyone's eyes.

No, unfiltered light from the surface of the sun is just plain bad news to your retina. Retinal doctors have reported in the past on the damages that peoples' retinas have suffered as a result of looking at partial eclipses. It's very specific and unmistakable: little dark crescents burned into the retina itself from people staring at the Sun. Two reasons make this time particularly dangerous: the time around totality has a marked decrease in the sun's light, which not only opens the pupil of the eye, allowing more light in, and the 'darkness' all around convince people to look at the still-dangerous sun. Thus, they get little crescent blind spots in their visual field for the rest of their lives.
link to original post

It's extremely rare that anyone looks at the eclipse long enough to get any damage - very few cases each eclipse.

The next day if you're trying to decide if you looked at the sun too long, then you did not. You would know it's not some subtle thing that you would not notice. For most people if they look at the sun directly at all during an eclipse it would be just by accident while setting up whatever it was they were trying to use to view it or take pictures.

Who hasn't looked directly at the sun at some point in his life?
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
Thanked by
smoothgrhMukkeJoeman
April 8th, 2024 at 9:24:58 PM permalink
How the eclipse looks from a satellite's view.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
Mental
Mental
April 9th, 2024 at 3:43:35 AM permalink
Thanks for the correction. I don't remember any solar prominence remotely as large as this during the 2017 eclipse. This alone made the 2024 event very memorable to me.

The so-called diamond ring as the sun reemerges is such a fleeting and dramatic phenomena. It is almost impossible to capture with a camera because the exposure changes in an instant, yet the image will stay in my mind for a long time.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 9th, 2024 at 6:18:58 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

link to original post

wow.. looks like a black hole opened up in the Earth, about to suck everything into it like in the movies.

Life is stranger than fiction
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 9th, 2024 at 7:52:16 AM permalink
about 90% eclipse here, we got to see the start of it, then clouds. When a WoV group gathered to see it in NC [2017?], we got the whole shooting match, including the 'snakes' on the ground. It was such a nice bright day the 'day turns to night' effect was minimized, I got more of that this time. You got a sense that it was going to storm, it was that kind of darkness effect. Again, it was cloudy during the max eclipse.

Nobody has reported seeing the comet, nor am I seeing photos online showing the eclipse and the comet at the same time. I thought that was possible, maybe not.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mukke
Mukke
  • Threads: 9
April 9th, 2024 at 8:35:14 AM permalink

link to original post

That looks like a black hole. Are we sure this isn't where the LHC/CERN once was?

/S

Great image!
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 9th, 2024 at 8:45:25 AM permalink
Fake. Everyone knows the earth is flat and the moon and sun are not real.
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 9th, 2024 at 12:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: Mukke

link to original post

That looks like a black hole. Are we sure this isn't where the LHC/CERN once was?

/S

Great image!
link to original post

Once was?

It's still operating.
It re-opened in 2022 after it's near Earth destroying accident that almost released the God particle in 2018 that they managed to keep a secret from everyone except those with /TinFoilHats
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Apr 9, 2024
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
Thanked by
RogerKintsmoothgrh
April 9th, 2024 at 2:08:04 PM permalink
Had an abolsutely glorious and spectacular view from my cousin's front porch in Stowe, Vermont. Not a cloud in the sky, in the 50, friends and family around and a a front row seat for one of nature's greatest spectacles!
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 9th, 2024 at 9:26:49 PM permalink

Had an abolsutely glorious and spectacular view from my cousin's front porch in Stowe, Vermont. Not a cloud in the sky, in the 50, friends and family around and a a front row seat for one of nature's greatest spectacles!
link to original post

Did you visit the von Trapp Lodge? I want to take my family there this summer but probably won't have time on our NE swing.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
April 10th, 2024 at 5:36:36 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

link to original post

Did you visit the von Trapp Lodge? I want to take my family there this summer but probably won't have time on our NE swing.
link to original post

No I didn't. This vist was a hit-and-run for me. But, if you want, I can call my cousin and get a scouting report for you.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 10th, 2024 at 5:41:41 AM permalink
Thanks, but don't bother. We'll be mostly in the Cape Cod/Rhode Island area.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 263
Thanked by
Joeman
April 10th, 2024 at 6:17:00 AM permalink
My brother has a cool, high tech telescope and we got some great ( imho ) pix:

There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 10th, 2024 at 6:30:44 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

My brother has a cool, high tech telescope and we got some great ( imho ) pix:

link to original post

I'm damned if that last one doesn't look like it's showing a solar flare
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 10th, 2024 at 6:30:45 AM permalink
So who's going to visit Antarctica for the annular eclipse in Feb 2026?

And Greenland/Iceland/Spain for the total eclipse in Aug 2026? (Note: It's short at between 1 to 2 min)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
Thanked by
odiousgambit
April 10th, 2024 at 6:41:41 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

My brother called in a "Solar Prominence".

https://www.nasa.gov/image-article/what-solar-prominence/

Hey, who says this sight is not educational ? Hahaha.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 10th, 2024 at 6:50:50 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Quote: odiousgambit

My brother called in a "Solar Prominence".

https://www.nasa.gov/image-article/what-solar-prominence/

Hey, who says this sight is not educational ? Hahaha.
link to original post

Looks like a small person moving a big disc to block out the sun.

Also, amazing pic. Looks like an annular eclipse with the ring of fire around the moon
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 10th, 2024 at 7:11:44 AM permalink

link to original post

Well, there certainly won't be any flat earthers there since they don't believe it's legal to travel to Antarctica.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
MukkeunJonodiousgambitsmoothgrh
April 10th, 2024 at 9:18:37 AM permalink
I just returned from my trip. We saw the eclipse from Subiaco, AR, and it was absolutely spectacular! Despite the forecast of cloud cover, it was a mostly clear day with only a few thin high clouds that did not obscure the show.

Unless we actually looked at the sun, we really couldn't tell any difference until about 20 minutes before totality. Then, it steadily became darker and noticeably cooler. Once totality hit, we saw bats (and bugs!) emerge and start flying around. I had heard that the birds would stop chirping, but found that the opposite to be true. The birds had been silent up until just before totality, and then started chirping. We listened for crickets, but didn't hear any.

We could see Venus even before totality, and once totality hit, we could also see Jupiter.

Unfortunately, with no equipment other than our phones, neither I nor Mrs. J got any pictures that would rival what has already been posted here.

It may be the fact that it was so far from a big city, or the fact that we arrived on Saturday and left on Tuesday, but we saw NONE of the predicted crowds/traffic/shortages at all.

The was by far the best of my 3 recent eclipse experiences -- the total eclipse we saw from in NC in 2017 (which was hindered by weather), and the annular eclipse last October we viewed from UT, being the other 2.

Finally, I'd like to personally thank the Wizard for his posts (and ubiquitous poll entries) mentioning this eclipse (and the one in 2017). Not only did they keep the eclipse in my consciousness, but posting them them so far in advance, allowed me to plan accordingly. Thanks, Mike! I'll be expecting similar posts in advance of the 2045 eclipse! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 10th, 2024 at 10:21:13 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Finally, I'd like to personally thank the Wizard for his posts (and ubiquitous poll entries) mentioning this eclipse (and the one in 2017). Not only did they keep the eclipse in my consciousness, but posting them them so far in advance, allowed me to plan accordingly. Thanks, Mike! I'll be expecting similar posts in advance of the 2045 eclipse! ;)
link to original post

Speaking of which, where is the Wiz?
I expected him to post on the day of the event.
it's now 2days after and he's still mia.
?
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 10th, 2024 at 11:05:31 AM permalink

.....we saw NONE of the predicted crowds/traffic/shortages at all.

Ditto !

The previous day, there were temporary signs on the interstate saying that stopping on the shoulder was not allowed. I'm not sure what it looked like there during the eclipse. Other highway signs said something like "Eclipse on 04/08, Plan Ahead".
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
100xOdds
April 10th, 2024 at 11:18:36 AM permalink

link to original post

Speaking of which, where is the Wiz?
I expected him to post on the day of the event.
it's now 2days after and he's still mia.
?
link to original post

He generally does not post until he returns from his trips.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
April 10th, 2024 at 12:16:11 PM permalink

And Greenland/Iceland/Spain for the total eclipse in Aug 2026? (Note: It's short at between 1 to 2 min)
link to original post

Pumped for an eclipse party on Ibiza!
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
April 10th, 2024 at 12:16:11 PM permalink

link to original post

Pumped for an eclipse party on Ibiza!
  • Jump to: