Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 230
  • Posts: 6463
December 13th, 2010 at 5:51:50 PM permalink
Without looking it up (of course), what is the longest English word with only one vowel?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
Joined: Jul 26, 2010
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 750
December 13th, 2010 at 5:54:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Without looking it up (of course), what is the longest English word with only one vowel?



How about "strengths?"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 230
  • Posts: 6463
December 13th, 2010 at 6:03:13 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

How about "strengths?"



Awesome. Fast and correct. How did you know?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 230
  • Posts: 6463
December 13th, 2010 at 6:06:25 PM permalink
Here is another:

Name either of the two longest English words with only one syllable.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
Joined: Jul 26, 2010
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 750
December 13th, 2010 at 6:11:04 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Awesome. Fast and correct. How did you know?



I posted "strength," which was just a guess. Then I saw that the plural was a better answer.
dwheatley
dwheatley
Joined: Nov 16, 2009
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 1246
December 13th, 2010 at 6:35:25 PM permalink
I know a lot of these trival word problems:

1) the shortest english word with all 5 vowels
2) the shortest english word with all 5 vowels in alphabetical order
3) the shortest english word with all 6 vowels in alphabetical order (incl. y)
4) any word whose ONLY vowels are 5 'e'
5) the longest english word you can type using the top row of the keyboard
6) the longest english word you can type using the left half of the keyboard (up to and incl T,G,V)
bonus:
7) the shortest french word with all 5 vowels
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Switch
Switch
Joined: Apr 29, 2010
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 934
December 13th, 2010 at 6:54:06 PM permalink
I know (7) Oiseau - don't know any of the others. However, I do know a sentence that contains 5 'ands' in a row and makes perfect sense :-)
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
December 13th, 2010 at 9:09:12 PM permalink
I'd like to see the one with 5 ands. Here's one with 11 "had"s in a row; I'll leave it to you for a correct punctuation. There are at least two:

Mary while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better reaction from the teacher.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
December 13th, 2010 at 9:33:11 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

I know a lot of these trival word problems:

1) the shortest english word with all 5 vowels
2) the shortest english word with all 5 vowels in alphabetical order
3) the shortest english word with all 6 vowels in alphabetical order (incl. y)
4) any word whose ONLY vowels are 5 'e'
5) the longest english word you can type using the top row of the keyboard
6) the longest english word you can type using the left half of the keyboard (up to and incl T,G,V)
bonus:
7) the shortest french word with all 5 vowels



1) sequoia
2) facetious
3) facetiously?
4) therebetween
5) Isn't it typewriter?
6) Is "extrarefracted" a word? If not, how about "reextracted"?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
Joined: May 21, 2010
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 480
December 13th, 2010 at 9:42:27 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I'd like to see the one with 5 ands. Here's one with 11 "had"s in a row; I'll leave it to you for a correct punctuation. There are at least two:

Mary while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better reaction from the teacher.


Mary, where John had had "had" had had " had had". "Had had" had had a better reaction from the teacher.

In the sign abover their store, there was a larger space between Smith and And and And and Sons.
Happiness is underrated

  • Jump to: