No votes (0%)
2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)

10 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 9th, 2010 at 12:02:25 PM permalink
As you may know, the Academy was getting frustrated that none of the money making pictures were getting nominations for Best Picture. The last huge film was made in 2003 when the final Lord of the Rings film won Best Picture. In 2009 the academy increased the nominations from 5 to 10 thinking that some money making films would at least get nominated (even if the eventual winner was a film that was not widely seen).

In 2009 Avatar, Up and The Blind side were top 10 moneymakers that got a Best Picture nomination.

No animated film has won the award (Disney's Beauty and the Beast and Disney-Pixar's Up were nominated),
and only one comedy (Shakespeare in Love, 1998) has won in the last 30 years. While some comic moments are desirable in a movie, the only other nominated movie that was more comic than dramatic that I can think of was in 1994, "Four Weddings and a Funeral". One could argue that "Pulp Fiction" was a black comedy.

Which of the top 10 moneymaking films in 2010 will be nominated for best picture? I am hard pressed to pick one

I think that The King's Speech is probably best positioned to win the Best Picture prize. The combination of the historical grandeur of World War II, British actors, and a person overcoming a disability is difficult to beat.

To date, ten films exclusively financed outside the United States have won Best Picture (out of 82 overall); all ten were financed, in part or in whole, by the United Kingdom. Those films were, in chronological order: Hamlet, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Tom Jones, A Man for All Seasons, Oliver!, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, The Last Emperor (1987), and Slumdog Millionaire (2009).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 9th, 2010 at 12:41:41 PM permalink
I thought Toy Story 3 was darn good. I enjoyed it much more than Up, which I think is overrated. I'm not saying it is worthy of Best Picture, but at least a nomination.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 9th, 2010 at 1:17:57 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I thought Toy Story 3 was darn good. I enjoyed it much more than Up, which I think is overrated. I'm not saying it is worthy of Best Picture, but at least a nomination.

G rated films have not been nominated very often since The Sound of Music won best picture in 1965. But in order to get 10 decent film nominations they may be more open to G rated, and animation in general. "How to Train your Dragon" also got very good critical reviews.

"The Social Network" and "The King's Speech" are the only shoo-ins in my opinion. "The Town", "127 Hours" and "Winter's Bone" stand an excellent chance among the smaller films.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 9th, 2010 at 2:01:39 PM permalink
Ten films listed, I've seen two of them and not heard of most of the rest.
I just don't go to the talkies all that much.
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 9th, 2010 at 3:18:52 PM permalink
I listed the ten movies that earned the most money this year. There are still going to be 8 more wide release movies for the rest of the year.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Tourist
How Do you Know
Tron Legacy
Yogi Bear
Gulliver's Travels
Little Fockers
True Grit

True Grit might be a "Best Picture" nomination. The Tourist looks to be a solid picture, with a witty romance and lots of action. It reminds me of the best of the pre WWII thrillers.

Last year's Best Picture winner, "The Hurt Lucker" sold movie tickets equivalent to much less than 1% of the population of the country before it was nominated.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 9th, 2010 at 5:23:45 PM permalink
Inception will certainly be a 'Best Picture" nominee.

As I understand the voting process, every eligible member of the Academy votes for "Best Picture". Since larger productions have more potential voters with a financial stake in a Best Picture win, it is reasonable to assume a large production (that shares post release profits) will have a better chance of winning than smaller, independents. I think this is also why animated films are at a disadvantage. There aren't as many Academy eligible crew members involved in their productions, despite some great work.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 9th, 2010 at 6:15:45 PM permalink
I haven't been following the Oscars since the late 90s, but wasn't there a category for best animated feature film?

Actually they should break best picture into categories (comedy, action, animated, drama, etc) and end the night with the highest-grossing film award :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 9th, 2010 at 7:02:31 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I listed the ten movies that earned the most money this year.

I've seen two of the top 10. Based on the Wiz's recommendation, I guess I'll get TOY STORY 3 at RED BOX.

Has anyone else heard of a book series called The Hunger Games ? I think that is being made into a movie,
which I'll want to see whenever it comes out. Probably in a year or two...
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 9th, 2010 at 7:03:20 PM permalink
ps:

I have been planning to go see Harry Potter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 9th, 2010 at 7:08:17 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Inception will certainly be a 'Best Picture" nominee.

As I understand the voting process, every eligible member of the Academy votes for "Best Picture". Since larger productions have more potential voters with a financial stake in a Best Picture win, it is reasonable to assume a large production (that shares post release profits) will have a better chance of winning than smaller, independents. I think this is also why animated films are at a disadvantage. There aren't as many Academy eligible crew members involved in their productions, despite some great work.

The last few years, the best picture winner has not been in the highest 10 moneymakers. Often they are very low ranked, and many times they made much of their money after being nominated.

24-Million Dollar Baby
49-Crash
15-The Departed
36-No Country for Old Men
16-Slumdog Millionaire
117-The Hurt Locker
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 14th, 2010 at 7:50:06 AM permalink
Here is how five of the top ten moneymakers were nominated for Golden Globe awards.

Picture, Drama:
1) "Inception,"
2) "The Social Network." (top 30 film)
3) "The King's Speech," (very limited release)
4) "Black Swan," (very limited release)
5) "The Fighter," (very limited release)

- Picture, Musical or Comedy:
1) "Alice in Wonderland,"
2) "Burlesque," (top 80)
3) "The Kids Are All Right," (ranked #102)
4) "Red," (top 30 film)
5) "The Tourist." (new release)

- Animated Film:
1) "Toy Story 3,"
2) "How to Train Your Dragon,"
3) "Despicable Me,"
4) "The Illusionist," (new release/ French film)
5) "Tangled." (top 20 film)
  • Jump to: