Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1426
September 21st, 2021 at 5:29:19 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

If there are a limited number of houses and hotels available and two or more players wish to buy more than the Bank has, the houses or hotels must be sold at auction to the highest bidder.

• link to original post

I thought one could only buy houses and hotels on his turn. Am I wrong?
    It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard
    September 21st, 2021 at 5:32:25 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

How about an alliance where you split revenue with another player and have rent immunity on each others properties for X amount of turns?

• link to original post

I've played with rent immunity deals lots of times (not counting on houses & hotels), to speed up the game. When playing with kids, who can't do math, it is especially recommended.
    EdCollins
    EdCollins
    • Threads: 19
    September 21st, 2021 at 5:54:35 PM permalink
    Quote: Wizard

I thought one could only buy houses and hotels on his turn. Am I wrong?

Yes. There is no rule that says you have to wait for your turn to purchase houses or hotels. In fact, I can proved a few online links and a few books ((see photo below), which clearly state all that you have to do is ask your opponent, who is about to roll, to "hold the dice" and when they do, you can then purchase houses or hotels from the bank, even though it is not your turn.

However, as it turns out, that was one of the rule changes that my friends and I agreed should be changed. And we did. We were doing all that we could to put more "decisions" into the game, and we thought it was much more skillful to have to wait for your turn to make any building purchases, initiate any trades, etc.

Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard
    September 21st, 2021 at 5:56:11 PM permalink

Yes. There is no rule that says you have to wait for your turn to purchase houses or hotels. In fact, I can proved a few online links and a few books ((see photo below), which clearly state all that you have to do is ask your opponent, who is about to roll, to "hold the dice" and when they do, you can then purchase houses or hotels from the bank, even though it is not your turn.

Thanks, I did not know this. I guess I've played incorrectly my whole life, but I do think it makes sense that you can conduct business on your turn only.
    EdCollins
    EdCollins
    September 21st, 2021 at 5:57:33 PM permalink
    Believe it or not, I won a Monopoly tournament that was held in Las Vegas, soon after I moved there in 1986.

Alas, there were not enough other players entered to make me eligible to represent the state, for the upcoming next country-wide tourney. (As I recall, there were just four tables, and about five players per table.)
    EdCollins
    EdCollins
    September 21st, 2021 at 6:01:31 PM permalink
    Also, it's been done many times by many different people, but many years ago I also wrote a simulator, to "play the game." (No human interaction... the program played against itself, with x number of players.)

It also kept track of which spaces were landed on most frequently, and my results matched up with those of other published results. Somewhere I should still have that simulator program, written in Excel VBA.
    EdCollins
    EdCollins
    September 21st, 2021 at 6:03:13 PM permalink
    As you can guess by now, I used to love playing Monopoly. It's not as bad of a game as you might suspect, providing you play with other intelligent adults who are willing to modify some of the the rules to reduce the luck, add more decisions, etc.
    Gialmere
    Gialmere
    • Threads: 42
    September 21st, 2021 at 6:16:03 PM permalink
    It's all about controlling those 32 houses. Not the hotels, the houses. (Hotels are merely tools you occasionally use to manipulate supply and demand.)

• link to original post

The book in the lower right, "1000 Ways to Win Monopoly Games", is the key. Read it and you will never think about or play Monopoly the same way again. It was published in 1975, and while first additions of that tiny paperback can now sell for as high as $600, you can PDF your way through it for free here.
    Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
    EdCollins
    EdCollins
    Thanks for this post from:
    Gialmere
    September 21st, 2021 at 6:26:55 PM permalink
    Quote: Gialmere

The book in the lower right, "1000 Ways to Win Monopoly Games", is the key. Read it and you will never think about or play Monopoly the same way again.

I LOVE that book!!! It's my favorite of these six books!

Short story. In 1979, I believe, I gave it to a girl who I had a crush on. I later regretted giving it to her, since I missed owning it. For a long, long time I looked for it in used bookstores, since I wanted to own it again. (Couldn't look for online... the internet was still many years away.) I never had any success.

FINALLY I called a used bookstore, in Whittier, and they had a copy! I confirmed... "It's 1,000 Ways To Win, correct? Not the much more common but much less useful The Monopoly Book?" They confirmed it was indeed the book I had been searching for. I left immediately, for Whittier, to pick it up. Happy to pay the few dollars they wanted for it. Very entertaining book.
    EdCollins
    EdCollins
    September 21st, 2021 at 6:29:46 PM permalink
    Quote: Gialmere

It's all about controlling those 32 houses. Not the hotels, the houses.

Yes. I almost never built up to a hotel. Much better to just build four houses on each property, and stop there, and help to create a housing shortage.

• Jump to: