1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1172
September 14th, 2018 at 3:36:25 AM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

Thanks for a good read. I've thought of going, but I'd go nuts with both the dust and all the people. Maybe I'll just show up a few weeks after it's over.

There would be little reason to go outside of Burning Man week.

Quote:

Do you have any idea how they brought things like the plane in? Was it in pieces? Seems like it would be a herculean effort for something who's life is very brief.

My tour guide on the 747 said the plane was assembled there is pieces. From this article, it seems they started to bring in pieces in 2016.

I think that is the only art installation that is allowed to remain all year, but I'm not sure.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 8
September 15th, 2018 at 6:01:17 PM permalink
Wiz, here’s another article on going to BM for the first time.

https://apple.news/AeaL8i1BhQ0SkKU2TkuQstw

Not sure if link works on non iPhone. Article is from Business Insider.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1172
September 15th, 2018 at 9:26:13 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Wiz, here’s another article on going to BM for the first time.

That's a good article. I was able to read it on my PC. The writer sounds a bit more jaded than I am about the whole thing. However, there is no defined purpose to Burning Man. There is no commonality to the people who go. Everybody will leave with a different experience and stories.

The author mentioned having to expose his penis to get a snow cone. I went to that same camp, I passed it often on the way to the port-a-loos. Before you were allowed a snow cone you had to pick a playing card. I picked an ace which was "dealer's choice." The dealer picked the only woman present and told me to smack her ass by surprise. She didn't know we came in together, but I was happy to either way.

After that, I of course asked the dealer for the cards and starting doing magic tricks for her. It was tough because the cards were beat to hell. Everything seems to be at Burning Man.

Finally, I have to say that I find the part about brushing your hair in the tent taking things to ridiculous extremes.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: