onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 22nd, 2013 at 3:20:10 AM permalink
It used to be common knowledge a person cannot beat a random picker at this game and now wonder if it is really true. If you picked a non-random pattern against an independent random pattern, would they still even out? By independent random pattern, I mean one which doesn't care what his opponent has picked to make his random pattern. Would the non-random pattern matter such as always R,P, or S, RRP?
I have seen the other threads about this game, but didn't exactly see the answer.
I am a robot.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 22nd, 2013 at 4:58:30 AM permalink
If one side is random then it's all random. Even if the non random side just picked rock every time.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1403
March 22nd, 2013 at 6:17:19 AM permalink
I agree, there would be no way to get an advantage on a random picker. Same reason as you can't beat a fair game of roulette.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:49:39 PM permalink
Yeah, random cannot be beat.

That said, humans are not random at all. I am a HUGE rock-paper-scissors AP. I just can't get people to play it for stakes making it worth my time.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1403
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:54:16 PM permalink
Quote: bbvk05

That said, humans are not random at all. I am a HUGE rock-paper-scissors AP. I just can't get people to play it for stakes making it worth my time.

I know an AP who will play it up to $100 a bet. He might go higher, but $100 is the most I've seen. He won't reveal his strategy, but I fear to play him because I worry there are tells in the game, or he just gets in my head.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:59:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I know an AP who will play it up to $100 a bet. He might go higher, but $100 is the most I've seen. He won't reveal his strategy, but I fear to play him because I worry there are tells in the game, or he just gets in my head.

Yeah, that's the old don't take a bet someone wants bad scenario. I am pretty confident in my skills (I have a bona fide method), but there is a good chance I am not as good as that guy. The optimal method is not that hard to figure out.

The most I've played is $10 a throw against an experienced poker player. He gave up after being down $260 in 150 throws.
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:00:24 PM permalink

Wonder how a rock-scissors-paper AP would do against this.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:01:26 PM permalink

That said, humans are not random at all.

I heard there are some tournaments for rock-paper-scissors. The professional players for preparation create random lists for each game they have to play, and "simply" memorize it. Unless you have tells this yields the desired random strategy.

Is it worth it as an AP activity ? Would depend on the tournament structure (although I could not think of any favourable structure for a random player).
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:03:18 PM permalink
Quote: MangoJ

I heard there are some tournaments for rock-paper-scissors. The professional players for preparation create random lists for each game they have to play, and "simply" memorize it. Unless you have tells this yields the desired random strategy.

Is it worth it as an AP activity ? Would depend on the tournament structure (although I could not think of any favourable structure for a random player).

That's just it. A player can ALWAYS make it at worst a random game with these lists. It really throws a wrench in the gears.
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:04:17 PM permalink
Quote: tupp

Wonder how a rock-scissors-paper AP would do against this.

Ha. That robot is the God of rock-paper-scissors APdom. Just to be clear, I am a RPS AP because I have a method that works against humans who are making decisions on the spot.

• Jump to: