1 vote (8.33%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

12 members have voted

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 4th, 2012 at 7:38:13 PM permalink
In the U.S., interest in school aged teens fighting to the death has been raised since the release of the, "Hunger Games" books a few years ago. The recent DVD release of the movie led to a recommendation for, "Battle Royale" a Japanese movie from 2000 that was based on a book as well. The two stories sounded very similar (but don't they all since it could be argued that they all are based on William Golding's, "Lord of the Flies"), so much so, that It appears "Hunger Games" lifted many aspects of "Battle Royale" without credit.

In short: In a dystopian future, the government and society have broken down to the point where teachers cannot control their students. In response, the government passes the "BR Act" authorizing the staging of the annual, "Battle Royale" death match. In the BR, a high school is randomly selected, and the 42 students from one randomly selected class awake to find that they have been transported to a small island. They are each handed a backpack with some food and water, a map and compass, and a random "weapon". They are instructed that they have three days to kill all their classmates, or everyone remaining will die (they were each fitted with an explosive "tracking collar" that will explode if they try to remove it, or it is triggered when the time runs out).

Disturbing film topic, ... but fun, in a "Sean of the Dead" sort of way.

In any case, the "weapons" ranged from sharp things, like knives and swords, to guns, poison, a taser, or explosives. There were some apparently useless things too, like a pot lid.

The question for the poll is: If you wake up to find yourself part of this death match, what "weapon" would you hope to find in your backpack? Please explain the advantages of your selection.

One would immediately think, "gun", but what happens when you run out of ammo? The noise will attract others to your position too...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 4th, 2012 at 8:21:29 PM permalink
An Invisibility cloak !
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 4th, 2012 at 8:25:01 PM permalink
There was a movie called, The Condemned with the wrestler, Stone Cold Steve Austin that seems as though it might have been loosely based on this. It was better than putrid, in case you're interested in seeing it.

I chose, "Knife," from your list above. There might have been an, "Other," option, but then I guess too many people may have exercised the right to vote, "Other," and the purpose of your poll would not have come to fruition.

If I could choose any weapon I wanted, I would go with either six shurikens, or dual-tomahawks. I'm an accurate thrower of either of those things. I'd probably be more likely to choose the tomahawks because they are better for killing small game, and though I am a vegetarian, I'd consider myself a self-preservationalist first! Furthermore, they are easy to repair, at least to the point of functionality. If they have a hand-held clubbing weapon, then you have an advantage of a few feet, and will hold one of the tomahawks in case the thrown one doesn't incapacitate them. The worst-case scenario is a fairly even fight if your throw misses.

You could climb up in a tree and wait for someone to walk under you, the downward angled throw doesn't really change the dynamics too much when it comes to a tomahawk, good follow-through, good rotation, most important elements.

You could sneak up behind someone and slit their throat if you were quiet enough about it, much like a knife. Either that, or you could just put one in the small of their back momentarily stunning them (if not worse) and then take them down and be at a huge advantage.

It's really a pretty awesome weapon for close-quarters to short-range combat. I suppose I would prefer a knife in close, but those extra feet will pay dividends much more often compared to the user-friendliness of a knife in close-quarters, and the 'Hawk is still reasonably good.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
September 4th, 2012 at 8:37:41 PM permalink
Hoard water. Poison water supply. Take a nap.
Or just drink some poison yourself.
The house edge in this game is 97.6%
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
September 4th, 2012 at 8:44:48 PM permalink
This guy:

He can whack people with that bottle for me.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2012 at 8:53:17 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

This guy:

I don't always find myself in a Battle Royale, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 8:54:12 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

This guy:

I don't always find myself in a Battle Royale, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

Stay alive, my friend.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
September 4th, 2012 at 8:57:57 PM permalink
This ones easy. The machine gun hands down nothing else has the range and accuracy. And no I'm not going to spray lead and run out of ammo. It will be used as a sniper rifle. As I stack my victims bodies so too will I be stacking their supplies and weapons.
rainman
rainman
September 4th, 2012 at 8:59:27 PM permalink
LOL! hey isn't that guy the most interesting guy in the world.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 4th, 2012 at 9:13:47 PM permalink
I'm not MacGyver, so forget the laptop, binocs and matches.

"Poison" is vague. Is it in a canister, like riot police gas bombs? In a vial or bottle to pour? A powder to sprinkle or waft? Either way, poison = stealth and time. Stealth vs 41 ain't great, and three days ain't long. Pass.

6 grenades? lol. Pass

Knife and taser are melee weapons. Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Crossbow is quiet, deadly, can be used at range, and, if you're lucky, you can reuse the bolts. But, there's reload time, and familiarity. Crossbows (like every other friggin thing) are illegal in NY, so I've never used one. Pass. But a definite third place.

A Pistol has OK range, and 50 rounds is better than nearly all the others. If it runs out, simply rack and disassemble. Viola! The slide can now be used as a shiv.

"Machine gun" needs explanation. A proper machine gun, like an MG-42 or Browning 1919, is waaay to big to use for stalking. You can only sit, wait and hope. A light machine gun, like an Mk48 or BAR, has the maneuverability, range and capacity I'm looking for. Plus a "box" is like 250-500.

If you're talking a proper MG, then I'll decline and take a Glock. If machine gun includes LMG/SAW, I'll take an M249.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rainman
rainman
September 4th, 2012 at 9:22:21 PM permalink
I assumed machine gun included those in the light and sub category, m-16,mp-5 etc..
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 5th, 2012 at 9:45:36 AM permalink

If I could choose any weapon I wanted, I would go with either six shurikens, or dual-tomahawks.

Interesting choice, and I agree with your reasoning. I don't want to give away the story if you haven't seen the movie, so I'll hide the rest of my comments in a spoiler for those who won't be seeing the film, or don't mind knowing details ahead of time:
In the movie, a hand scythe is used to dispatch at least a half dozen others in a variety of ways.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 5th, 2012 at 9:47:15 AM permalink

This guy:

Stay alive, my friend.

Hehe, that's comedy gold.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 10:07:05 AM permalink
He reminds me of a casket salesman, who takes advantage of grieving widows at funeral homes.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 5th, 2012 at 10:10:12 AM permalink
Quote: rainman

This ones easy. The machine gun hands down nothing else has the range and accuracy. And no I'm not going to spray lead and run out of ammo. It will be used as a sniper rifle. As I stack my victims bodies so too will I be stacking their supplies and weapons.

I agree on range, but wonder about accuracy. Unlike rifles, sub-machine guns and machine pistols aren't purposely designed for sniping. Also, it would be a bear to lug the ammo around, especially if you aren't given spare magazines.

One of the key points to this competition is that you can steal from others, (and/or pillage their supplies).

In the movie, some folks got sub-machine guns or machine pistols, like this Mac-11:
Of course in these types of movies, running out of ammo is never an issue, since they have "magic" magazines that apparently hold thousands of rounds. hehe
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 5th, 2012 at 10:20:56 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I agree on range, but wonder about accuracy. Unlike rifles, sub-machine guns and machine pistols aren't purposely designed for sniping. Also, it would be a bear to lug the ammo around, especially if you aren't given spare magazines.

One of the key points to this competition is that you can steal from others, (and/or pillage their supplies).

In the movie, some folks got sub-machine guns or machine pistols, like this Mac-11:
Of course in these types of movies, running out of ammo is never an issue, since they have "magic" magazines that apparently hold thousands of rounds. hehe

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 5th, 2012 at 10:30:06 AM permalink
Ideal weapons: Silly movie scripts at six paces. Wield until tired of it, then victor buys the entire bar a round.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 10:31:04 AM permalink
I thought this movie was based on a real event !
Face
Administrator
Face
September 5th, 2012 at 12:14:20 PM permalink

Accuracy is wonderful, if you fire correctly. Provided you're on single fire (or at least burst fire), and treat it like a rifle, there is no difference. Sure, you can't snipe with it, but who snipes, anyways? My M-10 is matched for 600yds; the farthest I've ever shot anything with it is maybe 60. And, the range of all the other weapons listed is only a few feet to 30yds.

"Lugging the ammo around" would be an issue, but not much of one. All of my accessories, tools, kits, mags and ammo are kept in old, military issue ammo boxes. Fully loaded, it's like a 30lb metal shoe box. Unweildy, sure, but not a deal breaker, especially when thinking of the alternatives.

EVEN IF we played NY rules, and my "machine gun" had to be semi auto and could only have a 10 round clip, I'd still pick it. Hell, you could give me a WWI era, bolt action Enfield with 5 round clips and I'd still pick it.

Sorry, is my bias showing? ;)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 5th, 2012 at 12:27:01 PM permalink
Quote: Face

EVEN IF we played NY rules, and my "machine gun" had to be semi auto and could only have a 10 round clip, I'd still pick it. Hell, you could give me a WWI era, bolt action Enfield with 5 round clips and I'd still pick it.

Sorry, is my bias showing? ;)

"NY rules"... haha, reminds me of 1979's, "The Warriors", about a NY street gang who have to fight their way out of the city.

I think your points about the superiority of the sub-machine gun are valid. In the end, if I had to choose, I'd pick the duffle bag with the Uzi shaped lump in it.

I would be concerned with the noise though. Once you started shooting, it would alert others who could be similarly armed, to your position.
Face
Administrator
Face
September 5th, 2012 at 12:47:47 PM permalink

I would be concerned with the noise though. Once you started shooting, it would alert others who could be similarly armed, to your position.

I did think of that. But while it can bring in people unsuspectedly, it can also bring in those you ARE suspecting. Kind of a variation of a honey pot.

I spend way too much time thinking of these sorts of scenarios =)
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 1:35:47 PM permalink
I bet the FBI profilers would like to interview you . LOL
Mission146
Mission146
September 5th, 2012 at 3:42:46 PM permalink
[facing four gunmen at once]
Snake Plissken: I'm gonna give you assholes a chance. What do you say we play a little Bangkok Rules?
[picks up a tin can. The four gunmen back up and get ready]
Snake Plissken: Nobody draws until this hits the ground.
[throws the can high into the air, then pulls his revolvers and kills all four gunmen before the can lands. Can hits the ground]
Snake Plissken: Draw.
Share this quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/quotes

Sorry, it's one of my favorite movies of all-time, loved it since I was a kid!
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
September 5th, 2012 at 6:57:55 PM permalink
im gonna choose crossbow. its less noisy than a gun and you can recover the bolts to use again. plus could be used as a club if need be.
  • Jump to: