No votes (0%)
2 votes (22.22%)
7 votes (77.77%)

9 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 15th, 2012 at 1:00:51 PM permalink

Sony sells this headset for about $800 that they introduced less than a year ago. You can watch regular TV or movies on it as well, but obviously it's appeal is to gamers. Do you think that people will shy away from expensive giant flat screen televisions and move towards headsets?

SONY ADVERTISEMENT
The screen feels big, similar to a 750″ screen that's 65 feet away. The 45° field of view is 1.5 times wider than that of standard TVs, creating an immersive environment typically available only in movie theaters.

The bloggers say it is an overwhelming experience. The saying is that it doesn't give you headaches. But the impression is that it is so engulfing that it is annoying to be in a room with other people. You can't really talk to people while viewing.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
July 15th, 2012 at 1:04:10 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Do you think that people will shy away from expensive giant flat screen televisions and move towards headsets?

Yes, absolutely for loners and single 20 something guys. No for families or even couples, roommates, people that like to have friends over, host parties, have family visit, etc. And even single people I know like to do other things while watching TV (cook, laundry, computer, etc) so this would be way too engrossing. Maybe for train/air travelers or passengers in cars.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 15th, 2012 at 1:08:59 PM permalink
Have headphones replaced speakers? Nope. Two different
kinds of experiences. I can look at the computer, eat, talk
to a person in the room, and a lot of other things while
watching a regular TV. You can't do any of that with a headset
on.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 15th, 2012 at 1:12:55 PM permalink

Do you think that people will shy away from expensive giant flat screen televisions and move towards headsets?

Expensive??????

Did you say "Expensive giant flat screens"? Expensive? Really? I mean, "expensive?"
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2012 at 1:18:32 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Expensive??????

Did you say "Expensive giant flat screens"? Expensive? Really? I mean, "expensive?"

I have to admit, I was in Walmart last week and was
shocked at how the price of flatscreens has come down
in price. You can buy a 40" for under $400.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 15th, 2012 at 2:07:09 PM permalink

. But the impression is that it is so engulfing that it is annoying to be in a room with other people. You can't really talk to people while viewing.

Perhaps with a built in microphone you could talk to others wearing the helmet while watching. Or their image (avatar) could appear also in your helmet.

It's rapidly approaching pod people lifestyle.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 15th, 2012 at 2:08:50 PM permalink
This will never take off. As one of those loners and avid gamers, I'd never have one. Regardless of what you're playing/watching, regardless if you're alone or with people, no one just sits and watches. They check the clock, look to the window when they hear a noise, look to reach for snack/drink on the end table, check their phone when a text/call comes through. As big as this thing is, that's going to get old quick.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rxwine
rxwine
July 15th, 2012 at 2:14:21 PM permalink
Quote: Face

This will never take off. As one of those loners and avid gamers, I'd never have one. Regardless of what you're playing/watching, regardless if you're alone or with people, no one just sits and watches. They check the clock, look to the window when they hear a noise, look to reach for snack/drink on the end table, check their phone when a text/call comes through. As big as this thing is, that's going to get old quick.

You're not thinking how technology is integrated, so you can connect to various activities, including a webcam in your own house, receive text messages in your helmet at will overlaying the screen, etc., etc.,

3d cinema is just one aspect of the potential.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
July 15th, 2012 at 2:41:39 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You're not thinking how technology is integrated, so you can connect to various activities, including a webcam in your own house, receive text messages in your helmet at will overlaying the screen, etc., etc.,

3d cinema is just one aspect of the potential.

Oh, right. I forgot ;)

I guess all I need is GPS enabled cans of Mountain Dew with, of course, an integrated map of my living room in the headset, and my arguement is completely invalid. The scary part is, as absurd of an idea as that would be, they're probably already working on it.

As terrible as most would think the concept of The Matrix would be if it were actually true, it seems we fall all over ourselves to create that very scenario as fast as we can. Expand on rxwine's point, and imagine if you had a headset where you get all your entertainment, news, check your surroundings, bring the world into your home, conduct meetings, order food, shop, setup appointments, all while just sitting on your rear. God, it'd be so much easier without this body to fuel and maintain. It'd be so much better if I could just hook my brain into the machine ;)
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2012 at 2:49:45 PM permalink
Quote: Face

. It'd be so much better if I could just hook my brain into the machine ;)

Whats the movie with Bruce Willis where everybody
has an android body, and they just sit at home wired
in and never leave. If you weigh 300 lb, your other
body is slim and handsome.
hhhccc
hhhccc
  • Threads: 11
July 15th, 2012 at 3:17:46 PM permalink
I don't know about others, but I rarely watch TV without doing something else. Usually I'm on my computer or iPad at the same time as I'm watching a show or sporting event
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 15th, 2012 at 3:41:11 PM permalink
It all depends on the picture quality. Bob mentioned a 40" for $400 which is great for a family room of renters who rarely use it, but the picture on those is HORRIBLE. I have a feeling that the first and second generation headsets will have below average picture quality - I'm still very intrigued and would love to try one out. Lastly, I think Apple has shown us that the correct price for a PERSONAL electronic is $300-500; $800 is just too expensive for your average Joe.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 15th, 2012 at 4:30:46 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Expensive??????

Well, the headset is selling for $800. Now you are hard pressed to find a 42" flat screen TV for that much money. But by the time you are talking 55" or 65" or even bigger models, especially those equipped with 3D, they are well over $800.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2012 at 4:51:29 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

It all depends on the picture quality. Bob mentioned a 40" for $400 which is great for a family room of renters who rarely use it, but the picture on those is HORRIBLE. .

They had it on at Walmart and it was just as
good as every set around it. Why wouldn't it
be?
Face
Administrator
Face
July 15th, 2012 at 6:27:47 PM permalink
I'm clearly not the target audience for this stuff. ahiromu says quality in flat screens differs, but I couldn't tell you how. In fact, this is the first year I've even used a flat, hi-def TV for my gaming pleasures. Is it different? Yup. Better? Yup. Would I pay even $200 for this upgrade? Nope. I happened to aquire it, so I use it. The TV I have for DVD viewing is still the giant boob tube, either 32" or 19" depending on which room I'm in. And it suits me just fine.

I guess I key in more on what is on my TV rather than how it looks. When it's pointed out, I'll ooh and ahh at the fancy graphics and crisp lines, but once I'm involved with whatever game or movie I'm looking at, those details fade into the background. Forget HDMI, hell, in the late '90s, I still had a TV with the old UHF connectors. You could hold the prongs of the cable and touch the cabinet and the picture would come through the TV lol.

I would like to see someone use this head contraption. I can't imagine anyone stuck with it for a month would still be raving about it by the end. I have high end headphones, and even they hurt my ears after a few hours from the contant pressure.
rxwine
rxwine
July 15th, 2012 at 7:26:18 PM permalink
Similar mechanisms are already being used by the miltary and civilian care centers because immersion in virtual reality is powerful enough to significantly reduce the use of opiates in combating pain.

ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 15th, 2012 at 8:28:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They had it on at Walmart and it was just as good as every set around it. Why wouldn't it be?

We all have a handful of subjects where our nose is up in the air, TV screens and computer monitors happen to be mine.

Contrast is a huge one. A popular contrast test is to watch a letterboxed (black lines above and below) movie in a pitch black scene. The expensive, high contrast, screen will show a seamless scene of black. The cheapo televisions will have a noticeable black line separating the movie black from the letterbox black.

Brightness is also important, but probably the one that most people notice first and foremost is the viewing angle. This has gotten much better over the years, anyone remember the old projection TV's? If you weren't sitting eye-level and directly in front of them, you'd see a messed up image. Although most TV's are sufficiently good in this, a few years ago I was given a moderately pricey Samsung 24" and its viewing angle wasn't good enough. It's something you still need to think about, especially if it's a bedroom TV.

In all honesty, hearing you guys talk about all TV's being the same is heresy. It's very true that if you shop correctly you can find a $400 TV that can beat a $800 TV, like anything else in life. In practice, there's a reason (some) people will shell out twice that for something they'll use everyday.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 28th, 2012 at 6:52:01 PM permalink

On the other end is this Project Glass . Which will permit watching TV, but also working voice mail, passing messages, augmented reality, and the ability to share a view with another person.

So now when you are talking to a person, he could be beaming your words real time to another person, or recording them to be downloaded on the internet. Although the camera/projector phone is becoming increasingly commonplace at least you have the heads up of seeing someone raise the phone and point it in your direction.

Now you won't have to tweet that joke that will get you in trouble. Now someone can record you telling the joke, and beam it around the world.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
July 29th, 2012 at 11:30:22 AM permalink
You're missing an option... this technology will be obsolete when you can have a chip installed in your brain that accomplishes the same thing.

I'm pretty sure Apple is working on a brain-integrated technology system. They'll implant a chip at birth, and you will be able to make phone calls by thinking. You can access anywhere on the internet, and it will allow your memory bank to be expansive.

We laugh now, but it's the way we're headed...
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
  • Jump to: