26 votes (41.26%)
2 votes (3.17%)

63 members have voted

zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 1st, 2012 at 8:05:21 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

If some stupidly inconsiderate self-righteous jerk starts pushing the back of my seat with his knees, clearly on purpose to promote some of his passive-aggressive agenda ... I'll just fart. And if that is not enough ... Maybe, I turn around and spill my drink.

P.S.: It is not your space. It is airline's space, and I paid for using it when I bought my ticket to fly in a reclining seat. If you don't like how much space you get, upgrade to first class.

Some folks, like me, think we're paying for a seat on the plane, so we courteously take up one seat only. The fat people think they're not simply paying for a seat, but paying for passage to a destination, so if they lift that armrest and spill over into the adjacent seat, they feel that's okay because it is their right as a paying customer. Still others think it's okay to buy a single ticket, and then hold a toddler on their lap rather than buy two seats, or take off their stinky shoes once in the air, or recline into the knees of the guy behind them all because they believe it's their right. Sometimes douchey behavior is like obscenity, difficult to describe but we all recognize it when we see it.

You've called me out a couple times on this weaselman; turning around a social situation to make it look like I'm the asshole instead of the guy who makes the original infraction, and calling me self-righteous like you did here and in the smoking thread. If someone's a d-bag, you gotta expect someone's gonna call him on it, or at least roll his eyes and say to himself "Oh geeez, he's one of those guys".

All these things are legal, but we all know only douchey people think it's their right to do so:

• Turn up your shitty bass-heavy rap music at a stoplight and roll down windows
    • Light up a cigar at a picnic with mostly non-smokers present
    • Don't bathe / practice good hygiene
    • Take off shoes in a restaurant
    • Make, or leave, a mess when you know you won't be cleaning it up (hotel room, restaurant table, etc)
    • Allow your obnoxious, loud, unruly children free roaming of the Denny's dining room
    • Refuse to flush public toilet, or clean lint filter in laundromat dryer, just to show others that you were there first
    • Don't put your pitbull on a leash in the park just to intimidate joggers
    • Wear sleeveless shirts to show off muscled arms, even in December. Or only wears basketball jerseys or Ed Hardy shirts regardless of social setting
    • Continuously be a burden to those around you (remembering you "forgot" your wallet after the check comes, repeatedly getting too drunk to drive yourself home, left tickets at home after we arrive at the venue, always broke at end of pay period, drink someone's last beer when visiting their home, refusing to take "no" for an answer from the new girl at work, etc)
    • Demand attention for lame achievements, but won't return accolades to others
    • Drive 10mph under the limit on 2-lane country road and not use turnouts to allow them to pass you
    • Inappropriately converses loudly on cell in quiet setting, like church, oblivious to other's scowls
    • Blame others for his own mistakes / shortcomings
    • Send a good wine back to the kitchen just to act to your date you're hip or knowledgeable about wine

weaselman: if you do any of these (totally legal) things very often, we aren't being self-righteous when we tell you to stop.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2012 at 8:39:20 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

It appears that the only fair thing is for the airlines to charge extra for anyone over 6 feet tall. I mean they do make obese people pay for 2 seats.

I don't have any problem with airlines charging by weight and height. They are in the business of transporting cargo, even if it happens to be a living human body; you are paying for getting V cu.ft. and M pounds over S miles.

In fact, here's an idea: why, instead of fixed seat pitch everywhere, not introduce "extra legroom" rows for tall people and "wide load" rows for wide people? Two seats instead of three. And people who need wider seats will only have to pay for these wider seats, that should be no more than 140% the price (assuming 20% being service cost), so everybody wins. You enter your weight and height when ordering, if you are in the "yellow zone", appropriately extended seats are suggested, if in the "red zone", required.

Wait, I know why it isn't done. They're worried that extra legroom and width seats will cut into the sales of overpriced business class and domestic first, for people who just want the legroom and not the damn service. Well, duh, shouldn't have priced these classes out of most everyone's reach in the fist place.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 1st, 2012 at 8:54:01 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

• Make, or leave, a mess when you know you won't be cleaning it up (hotel room, restaurant table, etc)
    • Allow your obnoxious, loud, unruly children free roaming of the Denny's dining room
    • Refuse to flush public toilet, or clean lint filter in laundromat dryer, just to show others that you were there first
    • Wear sleeveless shirts to show off muscled arms, even in December. Or only wears basketball jerseys or Ed Hardy shirts regardless of social setting
    • Continuously be a burden to those around you (remembering you "forgot" your wallet after the check comes, repeatedly getting too drunk to drive yourself home, left tickets at home after we arrive at the venue, always broke at end of pay period, drink someone's last beer when visiting their home, refusing to take "no" for an answer from the new girl at work, etc)
    • Demand attention for lame achievements, but won't return accolades to others
    • Drive 10mph under the limit on 2-lane country road and not use turnouts to allow them to pass you
    • Inappropriately converses loudly on cell in quiet setting, like church, oblivious to other's scowls
    • Blame others for his own mistakes / shortcomings
    • Send a good wine back to the kitchen just to act to your date you're hip or knowledgeable about wine

Jeez. I think I've done all of these. Except the pitbull thing, which I would do if I had a pitbull. And the muscle shirt thing. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2012 at 9:33:12 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Jeez. I think I've done all of these. Except the pitbull thing, which I would do if I had a pitbull. And the muscle shirt thing. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Consider yourself stoned.
I have not done a single thing on this list, once.

To clarify, this doesn't hinge on the definition of "continuously" or "repeatedly", haven't done these at all.
Except for sleeveless shirts (I think that part is just a personal pet peeve; and should I put on a 3-piece suit 200 feet away from the Pacific in 90-degree sun?), but I don't wear them in non-sleeveless-shirt settings anyway.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 1st, 2012 at 10:04:53 PM permalink

It's all about courtesy.

I always turn down my stereo at stoplights, and it's not because I'm ashamed of the music. It's courtesy. I always go away from people to answer a cell call. If someone's riding my ass on a country road, I pull over because it's obvious he wants by, and to NOT pull over is being an asshole. Especially if I'm knowingly going 10mph under the limit (which is prob already too low on any country road if you have a nice car). I never talk loudly in movie theaters.

To my knowledge, I've never met any of you people, but if I have, at the poker table for example, I'd welcome anyone telling me I'm discourteous in any way. Yes, I'm proud of it. The only way I'm a d-bag is in being arrogant about my courtesy. (ha! I crack me up)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
July 1st, 2012 at 10:16:59 PM permalink

Jeez. I think I've done all of these.

What have you done with the real teddys? The one I know and like is very courteous and polite.

My philosophy is that the world would be a better place if we thought more about our neighbors and less about ourselves.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 1st, 2012 at 10:17:13 PM permalink
I don't know why the area my seat reclines to is anyone's space but mine.

I lay claim to all the air space that can fall above my headrest within its range of motion..

Now if a fat persons fat rolls over into the seat next to him/her, that's not airplane material, so I don't think they have any right to it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 1st, 2012 at 10:26:04 PM permalink
If someone needs to be blamed, I think it would be the airlines who have "sardined" the cabin design. They made average calculations for tall/short/heavy, etc., in order to cram the most passengers in a given space without setting off a riot of complaints.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
July 2nd, 2012 at 4:18:38 AM permalink

Some folks, like me, think we're paying for a seat on the plane, so we courteously take up one seat only.

Yes, for the seat. The reclining seat.

Quote:

The fat people think they're not simply paying for a seat, but paying for passage to a destination, so if they lift that armrest and spill over into the adjacent seat, they feel that's okay because it is their right as a paying customer.

Well, this is not the same as reclining. The armrest is kinda shared, you should not just lift it unless it is ok with the other guy.

Quote:

Still others think it's okay to buy a single ticket, and then hold a toddler on their lap rather than buy two seats,

Yes. This is indeed ok (and none of your business).

Quote:

or take off their stinky shoes once in the air,

I always take off my shoes. The problem is not with taking them off, it's that they are stinky in the first place. If your shoes are stinky, don't board the freaking plane. Simply keeping them on does not help very much.

Quote:

or recline into the knees of the guy behind them

Don't exaggerate. Not "into the knees". The damn seat barely moves two inches.
As I said before, it is the built in function of the seat, why in the world would I not use it if I want to? You don't like it - just pay for first class.

Quote:

all because they believe it's their right.

"Believe it"? Are you saying it isn't?

Quote:

You've called me out a couple times on this weaselman; turning around a social situation to make it look like I'm the asshole

I don't know about the other times. But what you described about "readjusting your knees" ... I am sorry, but that behavior is typical for a common asshole, and I am not turning anything around, I am just calling things by their name. Whatever you may think of other people's behavior, it never gives you the right to "retaliate". Never. In my book, doing anything to others that you would not want done to yourself is being an asshole. Whatever justification you can think of for your behavior sitting on your high horse, there is no changing for that simple rule.

Quote:

Not legal. Call the police if it bothers you.

Quote:

If the host permits it, that's perfectly fine. If you don't like - leave.
There are many things that combined together create your experience of that picnic. There could be a cloud of mosquitoes flying around, burned meat smell, kids running around yelling and knocking off chairs, guys smoking cigars, women talking about shoes ...
If you don't enjoy it, you are not forced to stay. To each their own.

Quote:

Some people are more sensitive then others. Be assured, that there are definitely some around you who think the same things about yourself.

Quote:

Huh? What the hell is the problem with that?

Quote:

Huh? (again). Should you help the chef to cook your meal in the restaurant too, perhaps? And then run to the kitchen to get it to help out the waiter?

Quote:

Who says they are "obnoxious" or "unruly"?
We only let our kids do that, because they cute, beautiful and extremely nice.

Quote:

Most parks have rules against that, so no, not legal. If there is no rule, and you are intimidated by dogs ... you know what to do, right?

Quote:

OMG. Are you that insecure?

Quote:

If there is no minimum speed limit, this is perfectly fine.

Quote:

Yes, indeed. "Inappropriately" is the key word.
You could have just said "doing something inappropriate" instead :)

Quote:

if you do any of these (totally legal) things very often, we aren't being self-righteous when we tell you to stop.

Ah, telling, or, even better asking someone to stop doing something that bothers you is one thing ... passive-agressive "silent protest" is quite another. The former is perfectly fine (as long as you understand that you are asking for a favor, and the other person does not have to accommodate you), the latter is just that - being a freaking asshole, whatever grandiloquent justification you come up with, trying to make it look like you are not it.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
weaselman
weaselman
July 2nd, 2012 at 4:27:10 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My philosophy is that the world would be a better place if we thought more about our neighbors and less about ourselves.

Indeed! But it kinda goes both ways. If a guy in front of you reclines, you could think about him too. Maybe his back hurts when he has to sit straight, or maybe he did not sleep for three nights, or maybe a guy in front of him reclined, and he is now touching his seat back with his nose ... "Think about you neighbor" and just bear with it. It is not a big deal. Recline your seat too, and you'll be even more comfortable then sitting straight up even if he did not recline.

Finally, if it bothers you that much, ask him nicely. Chances are, he is not an asshole, he just does not know you are that sensitive, and would be happy to accommodate you if he did.

That is "thinking about your neighbors", not pushing his back with your knees tryin to make him miserable because you are. The latter is just being a jerk.
Think about it, maybe he has reclined in the first place because of something you did. Maybe he does not like how your hair looks.
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 2nd, 2012 at 6:41:08 AM permalink

Don't exaggerate. Not "into the knees". The damn seat barely moves two inches.
As I said before, it is the built in function of the seat, why in the world would I not use it if I want to? You don't like it - just pay for first class.

You must be a short guy. My knees are already hitting the seat in front of me as soon as I sit down, so that 2 inches is a painful enchroachment into my territory. Who among us is willing to suffer in silence for three hours for a total stranger?

Who says they are "obnoxious" or "unruly"?
We only let our kids do that, because they cute, beautiful and extremely nice.

Then your kids are the only exception in all of America. I see some parents treat restaurants as child-care facilities and waitstaff as babysitters. They must figure their $1 tip is enough to get them an hour of freedom from responsibility of parenting and in return they leave handfuls of cracker crumbs on the carpet and a dirty diaper on the table.

If there is no minimum speed limit, this is perfectly fine.

OMG! You are one of those guys, aren't you?

Most of your other comments to my scenarios made sense. You made your point.
weaselman
weaselman
July 2nd, 2012 at 7:56:39 AM permalink

You must be a short guy.

I am 6"2'. Not short. Just used to being aware of my surroundings, and think about others if not before, then at least as well as about myself.

Quote:

Then your kids are the only exception in all of America.

Nope. Ask any parent anywhere. You'll be surprised.

Quote:

OMG! You are one of those guys, aren't you?

Which guys? The cautious drivers? Well, I do always drive with a reasonable speed, so, in a way, yes.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:00:06 AM permalink

Finally, if it bothers you that much, ask him nicely. Chances are, he is not an asshole, he just does not know you are that sensitive, and would be happy to accommodate you if he did.

I'm not going to so far as to say that the seat recliners are assholes. I admit that there is not universal agreement on the etiquette. What I would like to suggest is that if it is during a portion of a flight where passengers are generally awake then ask the person behind you if you may recline. If you don't want to ask, just go half way, and only if you can see that the person behind doesn't have his knees up.

What I find to be much more selfish behavior, and I wrote about this a while back, is when people hold up everybody behind them when deplaning by struggling with a big heavy suitcase in the overhead bin. The goal should be to minimize the total waiting time of all passengers to get off the plane. If you're going to inconvenience 80 people behind you as you try to get your suitcase out of the bin then WAIT. Let the people off first who didn't use the bins or just have a simple light bag in them that is easily grabbed.

I do agree that the airlines are not without fault for packing us into tin cans like sardines. If there were an airline that afforded a little extra leg room I'd be happy to pay extra for it. Are there any? By the way, I'm happy with the "upgraded coach" and often pay for that.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:11:01 AM permalink
Quote: Wupper

I hate it when the person next to me weighs 400 pounds! That sucks!

Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:11:24 AM permalink
I just had this experience. I allow one click, and I feel entitled to one click. On our flight home, the guy in front of me took a full recline, and I asked him politely to take it forward a bit; he apologized, and did so, and we all got along. Because he was nice about it, I didn't mind that he took 2 clicks instead of the 4 that the seat has total.
A falling knife has no handle.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:11:33 AM permalink

If there were an airline that afforded a little extra leg room I'd be happy to pay extra for it. Are there any?

JetBlue does. It costs approximately $10 per hour (of flying time) more than a regular seat. Even More
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:14:06 AM permalink
I wouldn't want to live forever in a universe where you cannot recline your seat freely :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:19:36 AM permalink

What I find to be much more selfish behavior, and I wrote about this a while back, is when people hold up everybody behind them when deplaning by struggling with a big heavy suitcase in the overhead bin.

I've found that everywhere in the universe you happen to be, there is someone who will find the means to obstruct your way and cause inconvenience to you and, often, to others as well. Be it blocking an aisle in the plane, or an aisle at the supermarket, or a lane in the freeway, or just about any other constricting point anywhere at all.

The corollary of this law is that no matter how considerate you are, or how hard you try, you will sometimes be the person blocking every one else's progress.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
July 2nd, 2012 at 8:23:56 AM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

im 6'4" so always try to get the seats by the emergency exit for extra legroom.

My husband booked me an exit row, so my purse would have been 3-4 feet away. I would have had to unbuckle and stand up if I wanted my gum or tissues or anything else in it during the flight (I don't put small things in the overhead bins.) Then a guy headed for the seat behind me, and he was 6' 5"-or 6", so I switched seats with him just to avoid having his knees in my back all the way to Vegas.

My husband likes those seats, but I don't!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
February 19th, 2013 at 6:21:04 PM permalink
So should we blame the passenger, or should we blame the airline?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 19th, 2013 at 7:05:24 PM permalink
When I went to Cabo in December I asked the flight attendant and she said passengers may recline as far as they wish, as long as it isn't one of those times seats are supposed to be upright.
deedubbs
deedubbs
  • Threads: 21
February 19th, 2013 at 7:27:59 PM permalink
Generally, I am against reclining and never recline. That said, I think that there should be some consideration of the height of the person in the seat behind the recliner. I am 6'5", so reclining literally hits my knees. If I were 4'11", I'd likely not care.

Similarly, I don't like how airlines charge for bags that weigh over 50lbs. The weight charge should be your total weight, including bags. If I weigh 200lbs and you weigh 400lbs, why I am being charged because my bag is 52lbs?
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
February 19th, 2013 at 7:38:43 PM permalink
I was on a red eye from Salt Lake City to Atlanta in January and the seat was broken and wouldn't recline. It was the worst flight I have ever experienced. At 5' 8" my head not my neck hit the bump on the seat back and forced my head forward so I was not in a stable position. I could not sleep the whole flight and I can usually sleep anywhere. I was so stiff when I got up that I could hardly get off the plane.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
February 19th, 2013 at 7:55:36 PM permalink

I oppose putting up signage for every possible contingency in life. However, I do think there should be an accepted convention of what the proper etiquette is. I've asked flight attendants about this many times and they never give a definitive answer.

What if the person behind you has his knees up or is using the table for something? For example, playing solitaire on it (with real cards) and you invoking your reclining right causes the cards to fall all over the floor.

I flew out of Windsor into Toronto the night SANDY was hitting the east coast.... 17000 feet of sheer fun for the landing in Toronto with wind gusts upwards of 65 mph that night....but thats not the story here...my connector was a flight from Toronto to Calgary 4 hrs 30 minutes...I will let my letter to Air Canada tell you the rest

Message--
> Subject: DISAPPOINTED AGAIN
> Message: Last night I took AC7760 out of Windsor to Toronto to catch AC141 to Calgary. The pilot on AC7760 did a great job landing the plane in Toronto under the windy conditions and the whole plane was impressed with how softly he touched it down .
>
> Its after this leg of my journey that things took a turn for the worse. ON AC141 I had seat 32 F and the two seats in front of me were taken up by a couple of Air Canada Pilots hitching a ride back to Calgary. After we took off and leveled out the pilot in front of me reclined his seat FULLY for the rest of the flight. As I am a big guy at 6'4" and 280 lbs I had very little extra leg room to begin with and none when he seat was reclined.
> This pilot as an employee of Air Canada never even asked if it would be alright if he reclined his seat limiting my ability to move my legs for the 3 hour 30 minute plus flight. Common courtsey I guess isnt taught at pilot school. Thing is the other pilot got up a few times and looked right at me and must have seen how limited my room was with the other pilot having his seat fully reclined and he never said a thing to him about it. The on board attendants all saw it while serving the drinks ( no way in the world I could have put my tray down to put my drink on ) and yet none of them said a thing to him either.. I guess employees comfort supercedes paying customers. At least I had a 8 year old kid sitting next to me so I had a little extra room for my left leg to move a bit.
>
> Oh it gets better. Upon arrival at Calgary I had to go see the Air Canada staff to report my bag was missing. It never came out. This fella was very polite and checked into it for me in short time. His reply wasn't what I wanted to hear, guess since the flight was full out of Windsor some bags didnt make it due to weight limits. Mine being one of them. That marks the third time in the past couple of years my bag hasn't followed me on my journey. It always does arrive at some point down the road like tonight 16 hours after my flight arrived it showed up at my door. The frozen pizza from Capri Pizza in Windsor ($35) was fully thawed out. Moms 5 dozen perogies sent with me for my brother shared the same fate.
> Thats not a record Air Canada should be happy with since I would guess I have flown 6 or 7 times and about half the time my bag doesnt make it same time as me. delayed baggage claim # YYC AC 70064
>
> Well at least I flew home a day early so I had the time to sit around waiting for the courier to drop my bag off. Not what I had planned on doing when I booked a late Monday night flight home
>
> DISAPPOINTED ONCE AGAIN with Air Canada
>
> PAUL

air canada reply

Dear Paul

Thank you for taking the time to contact our office.

We realize that on-time departures, timely baggage handling, efficient procedures and superior service define our customers’ most fundamental expectations.

We are sorry for the service failure you encountered. Our intention is always to keep our customers informed, whenever possible, and to offer the necessary assistance to provide a pleasant and trouble-free trip. We understand that your experience was less than positive.

We are grateful that you took the time to make us aware of your experience. Your feedback and suggestions are of great importance to us and will be circulated to the appropriate departments to reinforce to them how important the customer’s perception of our service means to our ongoing success.

As tangible evidence of our concern, we are pleased to offer you a one time saving of 15% off of the base fare on your next booking at aircanada.com. Redemption instructions follow this email.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We truly hope your next trip will be more reflective of the standard of service we strive for. Please accept our genuine appreciation for the business that you provide to Air Canada.

To receive your discount, enter the one time use Promotion Code QX9GNHB1 in the Promo Code box at www.aircanada.com when you make your booking. This offer is available on a new booking only and applies to a maximum of two passengers, provided all passengers are booked at the same time. Your code is valid for one year from today with all travel completed in that time.

The discount applies exclusively on published fares for Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz designated flights. Multi-city bookings and flight pass purchases are not eligible and promo codes cannot be combined with other discount codes.

Please note the fare displayed on the Select Flights screen will reflect the discount rounded to the nearest dollar.

After you have booked your flight, retrieve your booking through Manage my Bookings, found on the Home page to purchase any a' la carte options. Look for options such as lounge access, travel assistance, in-flight meal vouchers and advance seat selection.

Your promotion code: QX9GNHB1

Sincerely

Michelle Sturge

Customer Relations
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
February 19th, 2013 at 9:24:26 PM permalink
Quote: deedubbs

Generally, I am against reclining and never recline.

This. And would totally prefer seats did not recline at all. I've felt bad for my g/f recently over this as she had a stretch of 7 of 8 legs where the person in-front of her reclined. I was like 1 of 8 over the same flights...lol

The US is generally too tall and mostly too fat to allow reclined seats on these cramped airplanes. I am assuming most people in this thread that think reclining is a good thing is < 5'7".
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 20th, 2013 at 12:34:23 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

This. And would totally prefer seats did not recline at all. I've felt bad for my g/f recently over this as she had a stretch of 7 of 8 legs where the person in-front of her reclined. I was like 1 of 8 over the same flights...lol

The US is generally too tall and mostly too fat to allow reclined seats on these cramped airplanes. I am assuming most people in this thread that think reclining is a good thing is < 5'7".

Nope, I am 6'0" and I have never even considered this debate. I pretty much always recline if I'm trying to sleep, and go upright if I'm reading or doing something else. I had no idea there was this moralistic debate.

In the future, I will try to see if there is an extra-tall person in the seat behind me, but I don't get the "no recline on principle" camp. The fucking seats are designed to recline! That's what the function is there for. Sure it's a chain reaction that screws the very last row, but that's what you get for booking at the last minute.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
February 20th, 2013 at 12:58:10 PM permalink
I try to fly as little as possible. Most airlines have completely flushed any semblance of customer service down the toilet. I am not even going to mention the TSA, but airlines are now charging for things that used to come as part of the ticket like checking baggage, like serving a meal on a four or more hour flight. Personally, every time I fly I feel I am being nickel and dimed to death. I have to pay to check my bag, I have to pay for my lunch with my $300 fare. The customer service you get at a typical airport is little better if at all better than you would get at many state and federal prisons.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
tringlomane
tringlomane
February 20th, 2013 at 2:27:04 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

In the future, I will try to see if there is an extra-tall person in the seat behind me, but I don't get the "no recline on principle" camp. The fucking seats are designed to recline! That's what the function is there for. Sure it's a chain reaction that screws the very last row, but that's what you get for booking at the last minute.

I'd prefer as much legroom as possible (but without paying extra for it), and since about half of this small survey agrees with me, no way am I am reclining because I would rather allow the person behind me to be less cramped. If the seat behind me is empty, then sure I might for the small amount of extra comfort I get by reclining. I can't fall asleep on a plane, so reclining is pretty worthless to me. But since the seats are designed to recline, I will never complain to someone who puts their seat back in front of me.
DanMahowny
DanMahowny
February 20th, 2013 at 2:33:34 PM permalink
I don't recline when I fly because I tend to slide down the seat and my shorts go in my ass crack.
For a fat bastard like me, that ain't good.
"I don't have a gambling problem. I have a financial problem."
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
February 20th, 2013 at 2:35:45 PM permalink
:).......http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
February 20th, 2013 at 2:53:07 PM permalink
the emergency exit seat is the nut place to be for tall people. lots of extra legroom.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
February 20th, 2013 at 5:33:44 PM permalink
And under the timely article category..........
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a_fine_whine/2013/02/reclining_airplane_seats_are_a_terrible_idea_and_should_be_banned.html
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
MaShuai
MaShuai
  • Threads: 7
February 20th, 2013 at 5:39:27 PM permalink
Weaselman wrote: I paid for (among other things) being able to recline my seat if I want to, so I will recline it when I want.
If the guy behind me does not like it, he can upgrade to First Class. Sorry, tough luck.

That is just selfishness. I am going to make myself comfortable by making someone else uncomfortable.

It's not a matter of touch luck either, go buy first class. It's a matter of considering others, which unfortunately, you don't do.
You got to play the hand that's dealt you, that's what the old man always said.
  • Jump to: