Rosstafari
Rosstafari
  • Threads: 1
December 29th, 2009 at 5:49:44 PM permalink
Don't get me wrong -- I really enjoy reading Michael's insight, been doing it for over six years now. But why are so many people coming to him for dating advice? What is it about "expert on gaming math" that seems to translate to "expert on relationships" in people's minds? I can't recall any bad advice I've read in one of the Ask the Wizard columns or anything, I'm just kind of confused about what prompted it.

Mike, if you're reading, you get many other odd questions? People asking for recipes, or boxers/briefs, or whatever? For that matter -- and maybe I should start a new thread for this -- what's the strangest question you've ever had?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 29th, 2009 at 7:13:59 PM permalink
Somebody else already asking about this. I think it started when some somebody asked a "cheating boyfriend" question, I think phrased as what is the probability her boyfriend was cheating. So in the spirit of trying new things, I answered it. For some reason that triggered more similar questions. If you do a search on any variant of "cheating boyfriend" my site should come in the top 20. Just one of those fluky things.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Rosstafari
Rosstafari
  • Threads: 1
January 21st, 2010 at 11:18:30 PM permalink
That's funny. Thanks for humoring the question.

Wonder what the odds are for a successful first marriage (that is, one that only ends by the death of one or both partners) today? As long as we're on relationships and all...
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 21st, 2010 at 11:41:57 PM permalink
Me and my wife are hoping for 100%
[This space is intentionally left blank]
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 22nd, 2010 at 9:00:51 AM permalink
Quote: Rosstafari

That's funny. Thanks for humoring the question.

Wonder what the odds are for a successful first marriage (that is, one that only ends by the death of one or both partners) today? As long as we're on relationships and all...

Something like a little over 50%. But it varies. Tom Leykis used to claim in Southern CA it falls to about 34%.

I think this is a reason it is seen more as OK to stay single today. I tell people that your chances of divorce are just under 50%. Of those that remain an unknown but positive number are unhappy or even long-term seperated. So for a long-term happy marrige you could guess 1 in 3.

Methinks one way to lower the chances for divorce would be both people need to answer the question, "Do you really want kids?" If both parties do not answer the same you are doomed.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: