Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 28th, 2022 at 6:35:47 PM permalink
I see the USSC backed the Washington coach who prayed on the fifty yard line.

This got me to think..."Just how far can people take this, so their conduct is protected as religious?

Religion is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Let's say I am a devout Satanist: can I start a fire at the fifty?

If not, why not?

What about if "my god is substance:" shouldn't I be allowed to snort some lines of coke at the fifty and have it be a religious exemption?

Finally, what about if I am a devout Thuggee who worships the Hindu goddess Kali Ma?

Thuggees practiced human sacrifice as a religious ritual, so how about drawing and quartering a ref on the fifty?

I know, prayer is less onerous than murder but that isn't the point: now the court seems to say that religious expression should not be muzzled.
"What, me worry?"
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 28th, 2022 at 8:52:31 PM permalink
No Arson is illegal.

No Cocaine is illegal.

No Murder is illegal.

I don't understand the Courts ruling, the coach works for a public school system pray all you want by yourself
but you can't hold religious ceremonies on the field for Christ Saks!
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
June 28th, 2022 at 11:28:48 PM permalink
This fella Al Dershowitz feels the decision undercuts basic Constitutional principals: https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-coach-kennedy-muslim-20220628-46pa54ntbbejfeti323yjknuci-story.html

Mods: I understand there is a strong probability I will be sanctioned for this post.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
gordonm888
June 29th, 2022 at 5:13:30 AM permalink
This thread closed for violating the rule against discussion of religion. All parties who posted are warned to not do it again.

Take it to DT.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: