JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 2nd, 2010 at 2:51:59 PM permalink
Wiz, you are ineligible.

Which US license plate says "Taxation without Representation" ?

I saw this one on my drive home from Thanksgiving.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 2nd, 2010 at 3:17:23 PM permalink
DC. Right?
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
December 2nd, 2010 at 3:21:04 PM permalink
Which reminds me, Wisconsin, for a while, was considering the license plate slogan: "Smell our Dairy Air"

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 2nd, 2010 at 3:38:40 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Wiz, you are ineligible.

I hope I'm not ineligible from asking more:

1. Before World War II, most states issued every vehicle owner new plates every year. What did they do during the war instead, due to the metal shortage? There is more than one answer.

2. Which state has issued license plates made of copper?

3. Which was the last state to make license plates of porcelain on steel?

4. Which was the first license plate to use a decal?

5. Which was the last state to switch to the reflective graphic license plates in use today?

6. Which was the first state to issue license plates directly from the state and when? Note: In the early days of cars many states told you your number and you had to make your own plates. I'm asking about a state-made license plate.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 2nd, 2010 at 4:08:19 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

1. Before World War II, most states issued every vehicle owner new plates every year.

NY was the first state to require license plates, what was the first state to actually give them out? No cheating.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
unJon
December 2nd, 2010 at 4:17:23 PM permalink

I hope I'm not ineligible from asking more:

1. Before World War II, most states issued every vehicle owner new plates every year. What did they do during the war instead, due to the metal shortage? There is more than one answer.

3. Which was the last state to make license plates of porcelain on steel?

4. Which was the first license plate to use a decal?

5. Which was the last state to switch to the reflective graphic license plates in use today?

6. Which was the first state to issue license plates directly from the state and when? Note: In the early days of cars many states told you your number and you had to make your own plates. I'm asking about a state-made license plate.

1. In PA they had a little metal clip kinda thing that served the same function as the stickers do today.

2. Nevada?

3. I would guess PA or IL due to all the steel industry there.

No ideas on the others.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
wildqat
wildqat
  • Threads: 4
December 2nd, 2010 at 6:29:42 PM permalink

I knew this one without even knowing it: Arizona. Fair amount of copper mines here. You can still get copper-colored license plates if you have a classic car (according to the Classic Car Club of America), historic vehicle (more than 25 years old), or horseless carriage (built prior to 1915).
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 2nd, 2010 at 7:28:50 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

DC. Right?

YES INDEED, DC.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
December 5th, 2010 at 1:34:45 PM permalink

I

If you mean standard-issue plates (not optional graphic designs) I believe Michigan was last. Their standard issue plates were non-reflective blue until a couple years ago.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 5th, 2010 at 2:42:58 PM permalink

What did they do during the war, due to the metal shortage?

I've no idea, but I wonder if it was really necessary. I'm told that it was illegal to slice bread in a bakery during the war so as to keep such metal available for the war effort, but in fact bread slicing machines were too weak to be of any use for the war effort. I'm also told that all that aluminum foil picked up from discarded chewing gum wrappers spent the war in a giant warehouse in Arizona. Always wondered if these were myths or not.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 5th, 2010 at 3:59:23 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I've no idea, but I wonder if it was really necessary. I'm told that it was illegal to slice bread in a bakery during the war so as to keep such metal available for the war effort, but in fact bread slicing machines were too weak to be of any use for the war effort. I'm also told that all that aluminum foil picked up from discarded chewing gum wrappers spent the war in a giant warehouse in Arizona. Always wondered if these were myths or not.

I heard the bread-slicing one before but you point is not correct. The bread-slicing machine itself would not have gone to war but rather the metal was needed. Any kind of metal was needed. An old department store in this town took down their brass-signs and put up ones half the size so the brass could go into bullets.

So maybe they convinced the bakeries to sell the machines or maybe you could slice until the unit needed sharpening?
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 5th, 2010 at 4:15:24 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I've no idea, but I wonder if it was really necessary. I'm told that it was illegal to slice bread in a bakery during the war so as to keep such metal available for the war effort,

I've seen old bread slicing machines that used fishing line to do the slicing. In fact, I think one of the first ones invented used catgut, like they had on old violins. You spin that stuff like a bandsaw blade and it'll cut your finger off clean.
appistappis
appistappis
  • Threads: 1
December 5th, 2010 at 10:54:58 PM permalink
best lic plate i ever saw was in toronto on the parkway.....really hot looking blonde in a bmw convertible....plate says..............WAZ HIZ
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 11th, 2011 at 1:46:44 AM permalink
License plate story for the Wizard

here
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 11th, 2011 at 7:45:16 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

License plate story for the Wizard

here

good story.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 10th, 2022 at 11:35:18 AM permalink
Today I saw a Florida plate with a skull and crossbones on it. Then realized it was a Tampa Bay Buccaneers plate,

For a minute there, I thought the DMV was being pretty liberal with their normally humorless variations. Though I don’t think they would normally allow a skull and crossbones if it wasn’t a Sports team.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
JohnnyQWizard
June 21st, 2023 at 6:04:56 PM permalink
This is the only license plate thread I could find here. I said here many times that I live in a house that was built in 1850 and my family has owned it for 65 years. Right now I'm putting in a patio in front of where the coal chute used to be going into the basement. When putting in flagstones you have to dig down about 6 in so you can put in gravel and then sand so the flagstones don't move. While digging I came across half of what was left of a 1928 Michigan license plate. This thing is absolutely worthless to anybody but me and to me it's a prized gem. That somebody had money a hundred years ago to even own a car is amazing to me. In the 1870s there was a blacksmith shop on this property and for decades I found metal pieces buried in the ground here and there. This license plate is the entirety of my collection of license plates and I covered it with six coats of clear epoxy and have it in my memorabilia display cabinet. I hope the Wiz is not jealous of my collection.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 23rd, 2023 at 1:25:47 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

This is the only license plate thread I could find here. I said here many times that I live in a house that was built in 1850 and my family has owned it for 65 years. Right now I'm putting in a patio in front of where the coal chute used to be going into the basement. When putting in flagstones you have to dig down about 6 in so you can put in gravel and then sand so the flagstones don't move. While digging I came across half of what was left of a 1928 Michigan license plate. This thing is absolutely worthless to anybody but me and to me it's a prized gem. That somebody had money a hundred years ago to even own a car is amazing to me. In the 1870s there was a blacksmith shop on this property and for decades I found metal pieces buried in the ground here and there. This license plate is the entirety of my collection of license plates and I covered it with six coats of clear epoxy and have it in my memorabilia display cabinet. I hope the Wiz is not jealous of my collection.
link to original post

That is a good story! I always value a license plate more if there is a story attached to it.

Here are some of my displays at the Auto Museum in Laughlin.

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 23rd, 2023 at 1:36:09 PM permalink
On the subject of license plates, I have to laugh at the cleverness of some folks in customiizing their plates.

Some memoraboe ones include:

RACEME

2FAST4U

10SNE1
"What, me worry?"
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
June 23rd, 2023 at 2:21:33 PM permalink
Saw a Tesla with ZEROLAG
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 23rd, 2023 at 5:28:33 PM permalink

Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

That is a good story! I always value a license plate more if there is a story attached to it.

Here are some of my displays at the Auto Museum in Laughlin.

link to original post

1. I give up, what is with the Xs?

2. You have a 1941 PA in there. Did it have the little metal tag for 1942 to save steel for the war? Do you know much about those tags in PA (and I assume other states?) Something tells my you know in detail.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 23rd, 2023 at 5:57:48 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

On the subject of license plates, I have to laugh at the cleverness of some folks in customiizing their plates.

Some memoraboe ones include:

RACEME

2FAST4U

10SNE1
link to original post

My favorite i saw on a Mercedes convertible "WAS HIS".
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 24th, 2023 at 11:15:41 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

1. I give up, what is with the Xs?
link to original post

I think the Xs are the license plates in the photo that did not originate with Mike.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: