Thread Rating:

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 22nd, 2017 at 10:40:57 PM permalink
Quite honestly, the delay in connection turned me away from the site for about a week. When you cannot connect to a site or a forum takes a minute to load it becomes not worth my time to read forums or post. And the problems with this site has been persisting for a very long time.

As admins, my concern wouldn't be for the long-termers like myself but for the newcomers who are likely to click on links and to generate revenue for you. With the forums being unreadable, it's a revenue loss over time that probably outweighs significantly the PiTA of moving to another server.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 43
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
September 23rd, 2017 at 12:25:43 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Z,

I still do not get email alerts when threads I subscribe to receive new posts. Is this still on the "list of issues" you are fixing?

Have you checked the junk email? I noticed some of my PM notification ended there. We havent moved the email notifications yet to the amazon, that will be done next week.
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
September 23rd, 2017 at 5:27:24 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

Have you checked the junk email? I noticed some of my PM notification ended there. We havent moved the email notifications yet to the amazon, that will be done next week.

The last thread posting notification I received was sent 2017-09-07 00:06. I set the sending server ds7791.dreamservers.com as whitelisted years ago. No further connections have been recieved from that server, not even failed/dropped ones.

This site seems to now be sending mail from ec2-52-53-134-166.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com. The first connection I see was on 2017-09-18 11:24. That and subsequent connections have been rejected because the sending domain is missing DNS records. I have whitelisted the new server and will let you know if that allows receiving notifications in spite of the flagged DNS problem. Even if it does though, I don't think most folks here can make that adjustment: it requires controlling your own mail servers.

btw, the wizardofvegas.com domain MX record is set to mail.wizardofvegas.com, and that name does not translate to an IP address using my provider's nor Google's (8.8.8.8) DNS servers. Also, the sending address, previously wizardofodds@ds7791.dreamservers.com, is now seen as www-data@ip-172-31-2-75.

The last rejected notification was sent 2017-09-21 12:56. Since I haven't received others since then, perhaps settings have changed since then?
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1223
September 23rd, 2017 at 7:55:10 AM permalink
Hello everyone. So nice to be back on the site. Thank you for your patience.

I would like to give a big "thank all" the technical wizards on the Wizard team who helped with the move to a new server, which I'm sure was not easy. This is my first post in about a month. I am currently in Cincinnati on my last day of my second trip to the northern midwest this year. That kept me too busy to post all last week. The week before I could see the site was up but my Internet service was too slow to get a post in before I got timed out. Guess my Internet connection is slower than I thought.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
September 23rd, 2017 at 8:33:54 AM permalink
A notification for the last post was sent from server ec2-52-53-134-166.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com, which I have whitelisted, but the connection was immediately dropped due to missing DNS records for the sending domain. Any forum member who's mail service includes some type of spam filtering at the server will probably be affected the same way. That is, the communication is terminated on initial connection and mail is never received: you will not find it in your junk folder in this case.

Other than that, nice to see you back, Mike!
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 32
September 23rd, 2017 at 10:46:23 AM permalink
Welcome back Wiz. So, is the WOV forum now on the new Amazon site and should we expect to no longer experience the delays?
Sometimes, people are just a bottomless mystery. And, after all, this is just a sh*tty little forum in the sun-less backwaters of the online world.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 48
September 23rd, 2017 at 6:01:10 PM permalink
Quote: Zuga

Have you checked the junk email? I noticed some of my PM notification ended there.

Ummm... Checked my Spam folder. Nothing there.
Mission146
Mission146 
  • Threads: 120
September 24th, 2017 at 9:26:12 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Ummm... Checked my Spam folder. Nothing there.

I just started getting PM Notification E-Mails yesterday, will send you a test PM.
Vultures can't be choosers.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 48
September 24th, 2017 at 9:54:19 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I just started getting PM Notification E-Mails yesterday, will send you a test PM.

I replied a few minutes ago. Hope you get my reply, as there's a bit more to the story, don'cher know.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
September 25th, 2017 at 10:43:23 AM permalink
PM notification while on the site have returned for me. Thanks, guys
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: